[Comics] What Comics are you Currently Reading Thread

All-New Guardians of the Galaxy: a nice start, and I don't feel lost for having hardly read the Bendis stuff. Back matter says the intent is for this to be the center of cosmic stuff, though I feel The Ultimates has kinda been doing that for the past year or so. It's also double-shipping for the foreseeable future.

Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider: Peter David missed setting stories in Vegas :p. This was really good, and that's saying something considering it has to exist off Spider clone nonsense.

Yeah part 2 was...two weeks ago, than an Action Comics Issue hyping up the new Superman Revenge Squad, now we're back to Superman and shit is getting CRAZY! Also Supersons number 4 is...next week, despite it taking place BEFORE Superman 21 and I'm fucking confused with this mother fucking RELEASE SCHEDULE!

Yeah part 2 was...two weeks ago, than an Action Comics Issue hyping up the new Superman Revenge Squad, now we're back to Superman and shit is getting CRAZY! Also Supersons number 4 is...next week, despite it taking place BEFORE Superman 21 and I'm fucking confused with this mother fucking RELEASE SCHEDULE!
I didn't think it mattered when Super Sons is taking place? I get the Kents are still in Hamilton County, but I didn't think it affected the story in Superman.

The release schedule that's bugging me is Batman. The Bane arc ended a month ago, but we're having the two parts of the Flash crossover, then the Swamp Thing issue, before getting to the epilogue for the Bane arc. Maybe time passed, but I feel like Tom King is just ready to compromise with anyone since he's so happy writing Batman, so he accedes to the Flash schedule, the Dark Days schedule.

None of it's a big deal. DC is doing so much right at the moment that the nitpicks feel unnecessary, especially when Marvel is being Marvel so hardcore right now.

I wonder if I can ask my local comic shop to put a note on my pull that says "no annuals."

I don't see why they wouldn't. A lot of people don't want the annuals since they often have nothing to do with the ongoing stories anymore.

For me it was the Clan Destine storyline that they let Alan Davis do throughout a slew of unrelated annuals. After that I became very selective about the annuals I picked up.

Aquaman finished another arc. Dammit, Dan Abnett. Between this and Titans, it's like he can still tell a solid story that's interesting from start to near-finish, and then just deflates at the end. This one ended with a literal bang, and yet still felt like a whimper after the past few tense and interesting issues. Same for the last couple Titans arcs. Don't know what the deal is.

DC Bombshells: I've never read this before, but picked up #26 on a whim. Appears to be the start of a new arc, so not bad timing. The first half of the issue was just checking in with the characters, so good for getting one up to speed, although I wasn't super-interested since I didn't have the background. Then it got into Kara's half of the issue and I realized this book is the kind of thing I'd love to see more of. I don't do too hot with most team books, but this is a world book, more like what 52 was in the sense that it could play with the DC universe overall. Except here, it's its own DC universe and can move along with big plans and plots, as well as character stuff, without worry about any other books' stories.

I'll have to read the trades to see what happened before, but I'm definitely picking up the next issue.

NOT TOMORROW!!!

Yeah I can't speak for every store, but I know for us we would always rather a subscriber let us know if they don't want a book or series we might otherwise assume they would.
I'm just wandering if your joking, does New Comic Book day suck? I do not think I have gone to one in...ten years.

Tomorrow is FREE Comic Book Day, not New Comic Day (Wednesday). Tomorrow amounts to a special influx of customers that won't necessarily be regulars, and many regulars could possibly frighten the newbies. Kinda like here.

NOT TOMORROW!!
Whoops; you're right. :D[DOUBLEPOST=1494040579,1494040295][/DOUBLEPOST]
Tomorrow is FREE Comic Book Day, not New Comic Day (Wednesday). Tomorrow amounts to a special influx of customers that won't necessarily be regulars, and many regulars could possibly frighten the newbies. Kinda like here.
I think he meant that the people working the store are going to be busy as hell with the extra traffic, not so much that regulars shouldn't show up.

I'm curious if that'll really be an issue at my store. We didn't stop in on FCBD last year, but they had piles to spare later on the extra table. I feel bad looking at that table. The front is nice, lots of volume 1s of different series trades. The center of it is two big cardboard boxes labeled "Secret Wars minis." Every mini-series from Secret Wars that didn't sell, and lots of them.

Yeah Free Comic Book Day rules. But the last two years we had customers beat us to the store in the morning, and a line at the register until 3pm (we open at 11). Depending on their systems might not be the best time to ask for changes to your box.

Black Panther (Ta-Nehisi Coates & Brian Stelfreeze)

I only read the first two issues of Volume 1 because...I just can't get into this at all. Aside from T'Challa, I have no idea who anyone is, why they're important, or what they're motivations are. I don't understand the politics of the situation. I don't understand all the locales - neighboring regions near Wakanda - or their importance. It doesn't feel like the start of a new series because nothing is explained. It feels like a lot happened before this book debuted, which I shouldn't feel with the first volume of a new series. I found it very inaccessible.

Last edited:
Wife is reading Hickman's Fantastic Four. I'm over here watching Gas's L4D2 video with headphones on. Hear my name being called.

Wife: I'm at the flashback where Reed and Doom are in college.

Me: Okay.

Wife: Why is Victor Von Doom even taking an ethics class?

Me: ... That's a great question. I have no idea.

GasBandit

Staff member
Batman #22 "The Button" parts 1, 2 and 3

Wut wut waaaaaat?

I hope, when they get everything shook out from this, they make an OAV/animated movie version of it. I really liked Flashpoint Paradox (ooooh controversial opinion, I know) and even though this is nuts and will probably not end well or plausibly, like Zero, I'm along for the ride.

Batman #22 "The Button" parts 1, 2 and 3

Wut wut waaaaaat?

I hope, when they get everything shook out from this, they make an OAV/animated movie version of it. I really liked Flashpoint Paradox (ooooh controversial opinion, I know) and even though this is nuts and will probably not end well or plausibly, like Zero, I'm along for the ride.
FYI, part 4 is delayed to the 17th.

And yes, I'm 90% certain this isn't going to nice places. I have a feeling Bats and Flash have tampered with something they shouldn't have just by going on this little trek and that it'll cause bigger problems than if Batman had never gotten Psycho Pirate's mask near that thing.

And on the subject of the mask, how long is Claire's treatment going to last before he can destroy that thing? From what I remember, Pirate's spells aren't permanent, they don't linger in a person's sub-conscious, they fade after a certain period. I'm just worried the bravery treatment doesn't ironically put more psychological damage on her.

And on the subject of the mask, how long is Claire's treatment going to last before he can destroy that thing? From what I remember, Pirate's spells aren't permanent, they don't linger in a person's sub-conscious, they fade after a certain period. I'm just worried the bravery treatment doesn't ironically put more psychological damage on her.
I don't think he plans to destroy it.

I read Love is Love last night, a graphic novel made in tribute to the people killed in the Orlando nightclub shooting. Mostly one-page stories, but they were all great. Either heartwarming or completely heart-wrenching depending on the story.

EDIT: Though I'll admit some of the stories were in bad taste. Like the ones involving licensed characters. Deathstroke's story, for example. He sees the news and the killer using guns. So he tosses all HIS guns (dozens of rifles, etc) in an alley garbage and says, "I'll stick with swords." The Batman one wasn't AS bad, but still rather bad in taste. Shows him in the club, looking at all the bodies, going through the facts (the gun, the shooter, etc) trying to figure out his motive. Cops outside are like, "He's in there, you know. And if anyone can figure it out, it's him." And Batman looks lost.

Last edited:
I read Love is Love last night, a graphic novel made in tribute to the people killed in the Orlando nightclub shooting. Mostly one-page stories, but they were all great. Either heartwarming or completely heart-wrenching depending on the story.

EDIT: Though I'll admit some of the stories were in bad taste. Like the ones involving licensed characters. Deathstroke's story, for example. He sees the news and the killer using guns. So he tosses all HIS guns (dozens of rifles, etc) in an alley garbage and says, "I'll stick with swords." The Batman one wasn't AS bad, but still rather bad in taste. Shows him in the club, looking at all the bodies, going through the facts (the gun, the shooter, etc) trying to figure out his motive. Cops outside are like, "He's in there, you know. And if anyone can figure it out, it's him." And Batman looks lost.
Overall it was a good collection and the profits are all going to the families, so either way it's money well spent. The pieces that annoyed me were the ones going "I don't really know what to write." There were a few of them, and it bugged me, like each thought they'd be the only one who would struggle with this. It's great to want to contribute, but if they didn't actually have something to contribute, I feel it would've made more sense to pass page space to someone who did.

And I did roll my eyes at the Deathstroke one too.

Overall it was a good collection and the profits are all going to the families, so either way it's money well spent. The pieces that annoyed me were the ones going "I don't really know what to write." There were a few of them, and it bugged me, like each thought they'd be the only one who would struggle with this. It's great to want to contribute, but if they didn't actually have something to contribute, I feel it would've made more sense to pass page space to someone who did.

And I did roll my eyes at the Deathstroke one too.
The Mark Millar one was surprisingly insightful. How he went through different "deadly" instruments we use but also have other applications (knives for surgery, in the kitchen, etc). But guns only have one application. And he's not wrong.

The Mark Millar one was surprisingly insightful. How he went through different "deadly" instruments we use but also have other applications (knives for surgery, in the kitchen, etc). But guns only have one application. And he's not wrong.
I forgot that one started that way. I also forgot Mark Millar could write something like that :p.

I don't think he plans to destroy it.
But shouldn't he? As shown in "The Button", its not JUST a focusing tool, its clearly psycho-reactive and has powers of its own. ALSO-look at this.

The mask moved away-BEFORE-Ventriloquist punched him. ITS ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE-either that or a continuity error-BUT MAYBE ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

But shouldn't he? As shown in "The Button", its not JUST a focusing tool, its clearly psycho-reactive and has powers of its own. ALSO-look at this.

The mask moved away-BEFORE-Ventriloquist punched him. ITS ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE-either that or a continuity error-BUT MAYBE ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!
They might need it. I doubt Batman would destroy something without thinking it through and if he still has it, he's probably thought it through.

And I think it's supposed to be the punch knocking the mask off.

Yeah probably, also maybe someone new will get it...hopefully James Highwater cos DAMMIT-I don't like how he just disappeared and Psycho Pirate came back-AFTER-accepting he was a fictional character.

And I know, but the artist should've drawn him punching the side of his head not his face. The way its drawn it looks like the mask straight up dodged the punch. I ain't hating on the artists though, just saying it was a rare miss.

If it were me I'd work with it, make the mask alive like it was when Raven was experimenting on it in her limited series. Maybe also bring up how Strange even HAD the mask in the first place, as in this version the Medusa Mask was destroyed by Superman.

GasBandit

Staff member
Incidentally, am I the only one who's always been disappointed that Psycho Pirate doesn't... y'know... dress like a Pirate?

If it were me I'd work with it, make the mask alive like it was when Raven was experimenting on it in her limited series. Maybe also bring up how Strange even HAD the mask in the first place, as in this version the Medusa Mask was destroyed by Superman.
I don't see a point in messing up their big plan to make an art blunder (that's only apparent if you over-analyze the tiny panel) into canon. Leifeld's art alone would mean several characters have random bloating, melting, and extra limbs.

Incidentally, am I the only one who's always been disappointed that Psycho Pirate doesn't... y'know... dress like a Pirate?
ALL the damn time, he dresses more like a court jester than a pirate. Goes even double for the golden Age version, who was just a news writer with a handle bar mustache who just wore a normal ass suit. And the less I say about the Nu52 version the better.
I don't see a point in messing up their big plan to make an art blunder (that's only apparent if you over-analyze the tiny panel) into canon. Leifeld's art alone would mean several characters have random bloating, melting, and extra limbs.
Easy, it'd be funny! Make a short limited comedy series based on it, see where it goes while keeping it out of the big stories at first, easy peezy.