1. Welcome to Halforums!

At Halforums, we value everyone's input. Please feel free to post without having to create an account. You will have to complete a few more steps than a full member and have to put up with this annoying notice on every page. If you want to join, click Register and start talking!

Already a member? Login Now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to Halforums!

At Halforums, we value everyone's input. Please feel free to post without having to create an account. You will have to complete a few more steps than a full member and have to put up with this annoying notice on every page. If you want to join, click Register and start talking!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  6. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice

[Comics] What Comics are you Currently Reading Thread

Discussion in 'Media Madness' started by Covar, Oct 1, 2013.

1. ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy Author. Cyclist. Yogi. Goofball.

Books:
    Whoops, sorry, of Fantastic Four. I didn't even know Waid/Wieringo did a Spider-Man run.

2. Covar

Covar It's Clobberin' Time!!!

Books:
    Never together to the best of my knowledge. But Wieringo was the primary artist on Friendly-neighborhood Spider-man, which started up around the time of the Other, up to One More Day, and Waid did several stories during the Brand New Day period before Dan Slott took over the character.

3. Zero Esc

Zero Esc Halforums Asshole Assessment Division

Books:
    I haven't checked it out yet. Anything I don't have in print i.e. can't take on my commute means making time at home. Lately that's just mean the cosmic stuff (still between Conquest and War of Kings) but if you have a starting issue number, I can bookmark it on Marvel Unlimited.

4. Covar

Books:
    #60-70, then it jumps back to legacy numbers with #500.

5. Zero Esc

Books:
    Thanks.

Marvel can be so annoying at times.

6. Zero Esc

Books:
    Craaaap, I'm kicking myself for not picking up Super Sons when it started. I didn't care for the Damian Wayne two-parter in Superman--really I don't care for Damian Wayne at all--but this is much better than that two-parter. A lot funnier, some of it even feeling like the more hijinks-heavy issues of Ms. Marvel. Will try to pick up the new issue tomorrow.

I'm really going to need to think hard about what comics I want to keep up with. Though my shop gives a discount if you subscribe to eight or more titles, it's still a lot. Granted it's been helping me psychologically for the last 11 months and is cheaper than therapy, but still.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
  7. Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster Upper Crust

Books:
    Jonno and Maya are the PERFECT straight-men to Damian...the latter I REALLY wish there was more of, but I guess we'll just have to wait.

8. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Hoopy Frood

Books:
    So here's what I've been reading lately....

Amazing Spider-Man
    Harley Quinn
    Totally Awesome Hulk
    Uncanny Avengers
    Hulk
    Avengers
    Motor Girl
    Astro City
    Spider-Man Deadpool
    Deadpool
    Star Wars
    Spider-Man 2099 (which I am way behind on)

Trying out both X-Men Blue and X-Men Gold, will have to see how it goes.

I'm just about to drop Harley Quinn, I liked the way the series started, but it's really gone downhill since Suicide Squad.

9. Zero Esc

Books:
    I calculated late last year that if I waited for vol 2 trade of Captain America: Steve Rogers, I would only need to pick up one issue and I'd be caught up.

#8 released in December. #16 came out today. So instead, I'm five issues behind and the next trade, which will end with today's issue, isn't due until August. Not even sure my store would have 12-15 all in stock, let alone if I should buy them when that's a bit more than the cost of the eventual trade.

I feel like one way or another, today is going to be expensive.

10. Zero Esc

Books:
    Batman #21 (Batman/Flash crossover)

Fuuuuck. It's a little jarring jumping from the end of the Bane arc to this, but you could read this after only reading the Rebirth special from last year and it'd feel like it picked up the story shortly after. I love the use of paneling and counting the seconds.

Somebody's back from Flashpoint and this got mean.

Show Spoiler
    I knew Eobard Thawne was a prick but to tear up Bruce's letter from Earth-2 Thomas, which benefits Thawne in no way whatsoever, what a fucker. Batman was clever in dealing with him too.

I have to temporarily subscribe to The Flash for the other parts of the crossover. Looking forward to seeing what happens next.

11. Covar

Books:
    From what I understand, the plot was worked on by Geoff Johns, Tom King, and Joshua Williamson. With King and Williamson writing the scripts for their respective books. So if you like the writing in the Flash book consider sticking around.

12. Zero Esc

Books:
    I read the first few issues and didn't care for it. I liked the art, but that's not enough for me by itself.

13. Yoshimickster

Books:
    Batman 21

Show Spoiler
    DAMN son, Batman got fucked up! And right after Bane, damn.

ALSO- Supersons is still fun, Green Lanterns got real as it's known to, and shits getting real up in Hamilton in Superman.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017 at 2:48 PM
  14. Zero Esc

Books:
    "I have my own cow." :D

• Brofist Brofist x 1
  15. Yoshimickster

Books:
    I can't wait for someone to have like, a malign response to that. Something like "UGH-we get it, your so rich you own your own personal cow-QUIT RUBBING IT IN!" Conversely "UGH-we get it, your dad's so rich he bought you back to life" would also work.

16. Zero Esc

Books:
    Getting caught up on Captain America: Steve Rogers aka Hydra Cap ... like I said I'd do four months ago, but anyway.

I started with Standoff and something important I gathered from small event: even before Civil War II, people did not give a shit about Marvel's events anymore, because if anyone read this fucking thing, it's really obvious Red Skull did something to Cap, and so when Hydra Cap was revealed in May, it would've then been a no-brainer that his memories were altered.

And I think Marvel knew even then, before the sales slump, that nobody cared about Standoff, which as I've said before, when the Hydra Cap issue started, they spun it in the media as "he was always this way!" Because Standoff hadn't been popular enough to refute it. Because if they just let it exist as "he's had his memories altered" aka Usual Comic Book Nonsense, it wouldn't have been in the news, Marvel wouldn't have gotten the extra attention, etc.

Anyway, onto my main point. I finished vol 1 last night, going to read vol 2 on my commute today. Civil War II was a pile of shit event meant to cash in on a recent movie. From the point of view of this comic, the dumb shit that happens in there? All have reasons. So between Captain America: Steve Rogers and The Ultimates, Civil War II doesn't look as much like the stupid crap that it actually is. You could read those two comics from that same time and see something interesting. I'm not saying that justifies it, but it is interesting.

17. Zero Esc

Books:
    Flash #21, part two of The Button

Holy crisis, Batman!

And then the last page ...

Show Spoiler
    We're back in Flashpoint!

This is so nuts and I love it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
  18. Zero Esc

Books:
    And apparently the first part of the crossover is the last significant writing contribution from Tom King. Guess he just wanted to write Batman vs Reverse Flash and then go back to writing excellent regular issues of Batman.

I'm sure the rest of the crossover will be fine; I just love Tom King's writing so much. Probably gonna re-read The Omega Men after I'm caught up on Captain America.

19. Yoshimickster

Books:
    Why does Damian seem like more of a Dick in Teen Titans than in Supersons or anything else? And HOW?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
  20. Zero Esc

Books:
    Caught up on Hydra Cap.

There's a lot of good in this, even amazing things. And my prediction is that I'm going to get Battlestar Galactica'd by this: tense story full of intrigue with a dumb, disappointing non-conclusion.

It's sad, too. Reality hasn't been rewritten, only Steve's memories, and so thoroughly that part of those fake memories is that the whole world has been altered by the cosmic cube except for him.

#15 brings together some delicious irony in this.

Show Spoiler
    Even brainwashed, Cap thinks Red Skull is bad for the world, too selfish and bigoted for Hydra (which begs the question, if they were going to change Hydra from being Nazis, why not have Cap be brainwashed into a different evil organization? Answer: name recognition and $$).

So Steve attacks Red Skull to kill him, something he would not do if Red Skull hadn't brainwashed him. In Skull's moment of begging for his life, he tells Steve that he changed Steve's memories, that it's all a fantasy. And Steve doesn't believe him and kills him. Oops.

However, as events pull onward and the cosmic cube once more takes focus for part of the plot, I realized a problem.

My original prediction for the end of all this was that Steve would go back to normal and then have to redeem himself for what had happened. That'd make an interesting story.

But at this point, a lot of characters have died, both from Civil War II and the Hydra Cap storyline. Characters people would know from the movies. And with Legacy coming to bring back the status quo ...

My prediction now is that everything will be undone, zero consequences, "and it was all a dream," a two-year issue of What If?, with nothing gained and no one learns any lesson from it, least of all Marvel Comics.

I could be wrong. But seeing how Ulysses got Poochie'd at the end of Civil War II, I'm probably not.