"What are you reading?" thread.

I've tried, twice. Furthest I've made it was the third or fourth chapter of the first book.
In the books defense that's only 40 pages.

I will say it doesn't open up until Chapter 9. But it took until the passage to enthrall. That's where it hooked me. But I appreciate it's not for everyone.

The biggest problem I had is the first book is decent but it's really the final two that make the series for me. It takes it from hunger games/battle royal to almost Game of thrones lite in space.

That first book is almost all world building and I did almost quit the series because of it. Just went and looked and the passage is much further in than I remember, chapter 19, but if you can get to there, you're Golden.

Last edited:
Almost at the end of August and thus far, I've read/listened to 37 books and read 105 comics (in graphic novel/collected edition form).

My goal at the start of the year was to read or listen to 50 books. Looks like I'm on track to meet that goal.

I've said this before, but I still feel like I'm cheating listening to audiobooks. The majority of those 37 books were in audiobook form. Maybe "enjoyed" is a more apt term.

EDIT: For those curious of what I've read so far, here's my lists:
Books Read in 2017.jpg
Books (Comics) Read in 2017 1.jpg Books (Comics) Read in 2017 2.jpg

Last edited:
About halfway through "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss.
Starting my second read through of it soon. Loved his books, and a big fan of the man himself, his World Builder's charity is fantastic. Also, he's hilarious when doing the Acquisitions Inc. Dungeons & Dragons podcasts/live games.

Reading the "Series of Unfortunate Events" books and I REALLY wanna kick Mr.Poe in the balls. IF THEY SAY HE'S COUNT OLAF HE'S COUNT OLAF YOU DUMB PIECE OF SHIT! Fun series, but still.

figmentPez

Staff member
Not currently reading, but ThinkGeek just started offering this: The Jim Henson Novel Box Set - Exclusive Reprint

I already have these in eBook form, from a Humble Bunde, and I've read The Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal. They're both wonderful, and there's a lot of rich backstory that's not fully developed in the movies. @LittleKagsin doesn't like eBooks, so I'd totally get this set for her... If it weren't $60. :eek:

Last edited:
Not currently reading, but ThinkGeek just started offering this: The Jim Henson Novel Box Sex - Exclusive Reprint

I already have these in eBook form, from a Humble Bunde, and I've read The Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal. They're both wonderful, and there's a lot of rich backstory that's not fully developed in the movies. @LittleKagsin doesn't like eBooks, so I'd totally get this set for her... If it weren't $60. :eek:
HOT DAMN!!

Thanks for thinking of me at all! :heart: ;)

Binging through Oathbringer then going to read Artemis. My husband is out of town for the week so I predict that I will finish them both pretty quick.

My husband is still only 1/3 or so through Oathbringer so I have no one to share my book feels with.

I also didn't like Artemis. I forced myself to read the whole thing, but overall I think the main character is a fucking idiot, and I didn't find the story the least bit compelling.

Dave

Staff member
I just finished Oathbringer. I’m going to read it again to fully figure out my thoughts on it.

I "adquired" the reaper man audiobook. Discworld books had always been my favorites, but this book is a thousand times better when you hear it with an english accent. Now I'm curious about how they translated to spanish the stake pun.

Okay seriously, how the hell is Mr.Poe so stupid that he doesn't have "Sir" from book 4 arrested for CLEAR child endangerment in making them work at a lumber mill? Does this guy not know how laws work?! God I wanna smack this idiot.

Went through a bunch of library and amazon unlimited books. I don't think I'll list them all, but here are some highlights:

The Japanese Art of Decluttering by Marie Kondo
I don't generally read selfhelp stuff, but thought I'd see what her method was. I'll save you the trouble of reading the book:
-she was a super-tidy kid (probably has some form of OCD - my interpretation, not hers)
-her advice in a nutshell? take all of your shit, put into a pile, and throw it the fuck out. oh, and do it NOW! = declutter

The Kingfountain series book 1-3 by Jeff Wheeler
These books are ok. Some interesting ideas. It's like fantasy-light.

No Exit by Taylor Adams
Short satisfying thriller.

Currently 3/4 through with Duma Key by Stephen King
It has been a while since a book messed with my head, but this book keeps building and building. It has given me two nights-worth of nightmares and a bit of dread in the day. He's really a fantastic writer when he's on top of his game. Also, I am really identifying with these characters in really weird ways. For one of the characters (Wireman), I immediately thought of my good friend's face when that character was introduced, and as his story unfolded there were quite a few similarities b/t my friend and this character, and one was super tragic. I have never read a piece of fiction and cut so close to home. Really strange. Can't wait to finish it, but I am also a bit apprehensive of the what is to come.

Last edited:
I'm with you on Duma Key when I read it a few years back. For me, it was the opening and King's own experience with a similar accident that left me chilled going into the rest of the story. And for some reason, the layout of beach house/town always makes me think of when I used to go to my ex's place on Martha's Vineyard.

I've been reading the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks. I had picked up the first book for Aussie, but he didn't read it. After sitting collecting dust for about a year I decided to give it a shot. I'm currently on book 3. And of course, the 5th book is slated for a 2019 publishing date. This had better not be like the other book series authors who leave things hanging for years on end (Scott Lynch, Patrick Rothfuss, George RR Martin, etc.).

figmentPez

Staff member
I tried reading "The Handmaid's Tale" but coudln't even get halfway through. There were no characters in the book, just stereotypes doing cardboard cutout things in a bleak and depressing world. The whole thing was just oppressive, but not in any interesting sort of way.

So I moved on to "The Plastic Magician" by Charlie N. Holmberg and I'm much happier now. I'm enjoying this book even more than the previous books set in this world, which started with "The Paper Magician". They're fantastic and I highly recommend them to anyone who might be interested in historical urban fantasy. They're set in an alternate history, late 1800s I think, with a very interesting set of magic rules, existing alongside scientific advancements that are on-par with the real world. Magicians bond to various manmade substances; so a Folder does magic with paper, a Smelter does magic with metal, Sipers enchant rubber, Gaffers enchant glass, etc.