"What are you reading?" thread.

Reactions
28 4 0
I just finished reading The way of kings and I was not disappointed.

Only I should have gone with the kindle version instead of the paperback version as it was an excessively thick novel.
I don't know why they didn't make it wider and taller to avoid making it as thick as it is.

Reactions
1,363 256 4
Jim Butcher posted a Dresden Christmas Eve short story. Posting the Facebook link because his website overloaded and crashed as soon as he mentioned it on Twitter. (Also it seems to have a Peace Talks spoiler during his scene with Molly)

Reactions
362 181 1
Googled him just now. From the picture alone it's clear who his father is.
I had heard his son Owen was a writer, but missed that his other son was a writer with a pseudonym.

I liked Strange Weather, especially the first story.

I am reading the first book of The Invisible Library series. So far, it's interesting. I like the world-building and chaos stuff. Neat idea so far.

Reactions
472 65 2
I just finished the second book in the series. Frigging fantastic.

Now I'm reading Raven Black by Ann Cleeves, it's the first novel in the Shetland series. I've read three or four of the others before this one.

Dave

Staff member
Reactions
1,709 762 12
It's pretty rare to find good science fiction. When you get it you hang onto it with both hands. Like Scalzi.

GasBandit

Staff member
Reactions
5,140 1,122 23
Never heard of it.
That's for the best.

It's literally The Last Colony, but retold from the first person viewpoint of Zoe, the 17 year old daughter of John Perry and Jane Sagan. I couldn't even get more than a couple chapters into it.

I'll say this much, it definitely accurately captures how irritating it is to deal with teenagers.

Reactions
1,363 256 4
The Interdependency is my favorite series of his, even though I love Harry Wilson forever.

Reactions
481 239 0
I just started The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks. I loved his Lightbringer series so far, so I decided to read more books by him while waiting for book #5 to come out.

Reactions
973 314 5
I really liked the Takeshi Kovacs novels by Richard Morgan. So, I ran out of stuff to read on hand and decided to pick up some of his other novels. I read a bunch of reviews about his fantasy series A Land Fit for Heroes and saw a lot of middling reviews. Lots of complaining about being force fed agendas and the like. Oh, the main character is gay and Richard Morgan is no less graphic with those sex scenes than he is with the straight sex scenes in the Kovacs novels. Of course, people defend their distaste by claiming that the scenes in The Steel Remains would be no less uncomfortable if they were hetero, but you don't see a lot of bitching about the sex scenes in the Kovacs trilogy. Made me want to read the book more. Only a few chapters in, but I'm already digging the pace and the world building.

Dave

Staff member
Reactions
1,709 762 12
I just yesterday found out there was a new Tad Williams book in the "Memory, Sorrow, & Thorn" universe. Guess what I'm going to start reading tonight?

Reactions
472 65 2
I'm about a third of the way through "Abbadon's Gate", the third of The Expanse novels. It's excellent so far.

I also recently read "War of the Wolves" by Bernard Cornwell, the latest installment of his Saxon series, which is the basis for the series "The Lost Kingdom". Both this one and The Flame Bearer are different than most of the previous works because Uhtred isn't saving the Saxon realm from the Danes or the Norse, so much as he is pursuing more personal goals. There's a bit less of the "Forrest Gump" effect (ie a fictional character somehow being at all of the major events of their time without being part of the historical record) as such. Also, Uhtred is no longer the hot-blooded, glory-seeking warlord of his youth, but an old man, a grandfather uncertain of his legacy. I heavily recommend it if you like historical fiction or medieval fantasy.

Reactions
217 30 0
With all the casting announcements for Dune lately I figured it was finally time to read it.

Not very far yet, roughly 170 pages in, but this shit is my jam. So hard.

Reactions
1,499 413 2
I was reading a story from a magazine from a couple years ago on my Kindle, and it was really not good. The story went nowhere, the ending made no sense, and everything was over-described. There's two conversations over dinner and every line of dialogue must be accompanied by saying what was happening with the characters' plates, their food, how their chips were arranged. Stuff I would've taken a red pen to.

This morning I thought I was reading a story from The Best Horror of the Year vol 10, but must have fallen asleep because I was lost. Then I realized I was reading that story. How did my Kindle app flip back to that magazine?

It didn't.

I had to stop and groan for a minute. There's a brilliant story in that same magazine issue but this overcooked nothing is what the editor chose here? It's 35 pages I can skip.

Reactions
362 181 1
I am reading The Stranger Outsider by Stephen King. Liking it. Waiting for the weirdness to creep in. It's a bit of a standard mystery thus far; besides the brutal murder, obviously.

Loved Leviathan Wakes. Ready for the next one.
Sad to see Miller go, but I suspect he might come back in some other form.

Last edited: