What are you playing?

Tim Schafer Explains How to Play Brutal Legend

Lots more at the link but, \"If you try to play the stage battles in Brütal Legend as an RTS game then you will lose. First you will get mad, then you will scream, and then you will lose.\"
*shrug*

He's the expert obviously, but I had the most success in the single-player campaign by staying off the ground entirely, only going down for solos, double-teams, and punking the general. Didn't even bother going hand-to-hand with their most advanced units, because a group of them could usually kill me pretty easily, and I'd only get one or two at the most.

J

JONJONAUG

So I played through the Bayonetta demo a bunch of times.

So far, I'd say it's better than Devil May Cry but not as good as Ninja Gaiden or God Hand.

figmentPez

Staff member
I just finished playing Trine, and wow, what an awful last level for an amazing game. From reviews of the game I knew that the last level was different from the rest of the game, but I had no idea how badly. I was not expecting it to feel cheap and unimaginative. Did the development team run out of time/money or something? It's like they were trying to take all the worst parts of the Meat Circus level of Psychonauts and put them in Trine.
A race to the top of a tower is not a replacement for a boss fight. Especially when it makes a radical shift in gameplay. Most of the game is spent with no time limit and plenty of time to use skills. Then the last level has a rising pool of lava/molten metal and all the while you're climbing the tower the evil boss spawns obstacles in your path. Sometimes the spawn is triggered by your jump, so the only way to avoid them is to memorize the "correct" path to the top. Not only that, but because of the increased pace, the Wizard is all but useless, and often times if the Thief dies you might as well start the level over.

There are no checkpoints from the start of the level to the top of the tower. It took me more than a dozen tries to make it. When I finally did, I faced a small group of enemies, and steeled myself for the real boss fight... only to find there wasn't one. You jump to the top, grab the treasure, get split into three again, and the Knight smashes the evil Wizard on the head in a cut scene.

*sigh* Awesome game. Beautiful graphics and soundtrack, enjoyable voicework, good controls, fun concept. All around great platformer with minor puzzle elements. While the final level wasn't good, I did enjoy the ending narration. Which, while not flashy, fit very well with the tone of the game. I highly recommend Trine.

Now I think I'm going to go back to Super Paper Mario and see if I can finally finish it.

i'm waiting for Dragon Age: Origins.

While waiting, i'm playing Pro Cycling Manager, Soul Calibur IV and Dawn of War 2 (can't get enough of that game)

S

Soliloquy

I just purchased Medieval II: Total War Gold. It was only $20, I had a gift card, and it was the only thing that looked good at Best Buy.

I just spent a long time trying to figure out how to get it to install to a drive other than C:\, though. Stupid poorly-designed installer.

M

meyoumeyou

I'm in the process of downloading the demo version of this:

My rough understanding of the game is that you create your own custom disciple to then follow Jesus throughout his life experiences in ancient roman times.

...oh, did I forget to mention it's based off a wrestling game engine...

...yes, really.

T

TwoBit

I've been playing through Goldeneye. I never got to play it back in the day.

O

Oddbot

Played Aion for a month. It was fun but not worth paying past my free month which ran out yesterday. So, back to Lotro, raiding, and trying to get my minstrel alt to cap before the new expansion hits in Dec.

T

ThatNickGuy

Civilization IV, but one of the Beyond the Sword mods: Age of Ice. And holy crap, it's awesome. It's like a fantasy RPG, where you have to take down a god by collecting three pieces of this great sword and forge it. Of course, there are rival civilizations that worship this god, and the god itself sending mythical creatures (giant spiders, ogres, imps, etc; apparently, there are dragons at some point).

I'm still pretty early in, but goddamn, it's awesome.

I'm playing Torchlight.

I never played FATE, so to me, Torchlight is like crack to Diablo's cocaine. Same drug, more efficient intake.

And oh my word, the music...

Still in Persona 3 FES, nearing the end of The Answer. I'm enjoying it, but it's getting old. I SHOULD be able to finish it tonight or tomorrow. Then I'm gonna dive straight into Persona 4.

Still in Persona 3 FES, nearing the end of The Answer. I'm enjoying it, but it's getting old. I SHOULD be able to finish it tonight or tomorrow. Then I'm gonna dive straight into Persona 4.
This has come to pass. Persona 4 is awesome so far.

This has come to pass. Persona 4 is awesome so far.[/QUOTE]

Persona 4 feels like hard mode Persona 3 FES ALL THE TIME. That's why they let you control your party this time... you need that fucking bone just to survive.

figmentPez

Staff member
I just finished Braid, and have mixed feelings about it. It's a great mix of puzzle and platformer, in terms of gameplay, but the attempts at story just leave me rolling my eyes and wondering if I'm supposed to be working harder at understand the story than I was at solving each level. Sorry, while I'm not opposed to cryptic stories and subtle revelations of a game's world (I love the story telling in the Half-Life series), I just couldn't fathom any coherence in Braid. It's not like I expect everything to be explained to me. I loved Zeno Clash, and that world just expects you to accept it as it is, but I don't like what little Braid threw at me enough to enjoy it's "story". Great gameplay, though.

I'm not sure what's next, besides the Left 4 Dead 2 demo. Maybe I'll get back to World of Goo, or give Overlord a shot on Gametap.

Persona 4 feels like hard mode Persona 3 FES ALL THE TIME. That's why they let you control your party this time... you need that fucking bone just to survive.
they are nicer about how they handle the dungeons though. Letting you to start where you left rather than forcing you to go up 5-15 floors just to save your spot.

But yeah, enemies are bitches.

Fuck you, heaven

WoW, a little less now, but still playing that.

Left 4 Dead 2 demo, hopefully in better shape once I get my new monitor hooked up to my older computer that plays games better.

We also picked up an old Gamecube game, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem because of Spoony's review. That's pretty fun and crazy. I'm enjoying it a bit.

T

TotalFusionOne

I've just got my first character post 60 in WoW. Alliance Pally. And I've just started AH fixing so I'm making about 1000g per day with my mithril monopoly.

But now I read someone playing Civ so all I want to do is play Civ. Or Roller Coaster Tycoon. Dammit. And can someone please get a good Ticket to Ride PC game?

I just finished Braid, and have mixed feelings about it. It's a great mix of puzzle and platformer, in terms of gameplay, but the attempts at story just leave me rolling my eyes and wondering if I'm supposed to be working harder at understand the story than I was at solving each level. Sorry, while I'm not opposed to cryptic stories and subtle revelations of a game's world (I love the story telling in the Half-Life series), I just couldn't fathom any coherence in Braid. It's not like I expect everything to be explained to me. I loved Zeno Clash, and that world just expects you to accept it as it is, but I don't like what little Braid threw at me enough to enjoy it's "story". Great gameplay, though.
Braid is not intended to have a "story" in the traditional meaning of the word. There are layers of meaning to be decoded to whatever extent you feel like decoding it, but the purpose is not the discover a narrative so much as to discover an idea. The game represents Tim exploring his own ideas and it tries its best to get you to identify with him (him being an obsessive guy who thinks backwards from everyone) and learning the same lessons he's learned.

And if you don't care to do that, well, then he's a guy chasing a princess who has to solve a lot on insanely weird puzzles, and that's fine too.

figmentPez

Staff member
Braid is not intended to have a "story" in the traditional meaning of the word. There are layers of meaning to be decoded to whatever extent you feel like decoding it, but the purpose is not the discover a narrative so much as to discover an idea. The game represents Tim exploring his own ideas and it tries its best to get you to identify with him (him being an obsessive guy who thinks backwards from everyone) and learning the same lessons he's learned.

And if you don't care to do that, well, then he's a guy chasing a princess who has to solve a lot on insanely weird puzzles, and that's fine too.
I didn't like that either. The music and art conveyed emotion well, but every text box, after about half-way through, grated on my nerves in that game. That's not because it's non-traditional story-telling. I've played a little of The Path and really liked it (I need to get back to that game, actually), and it's even less traditional in it's story-telling than Braid is, with far less gameplay (and very cryptic text boxes). I just didn't like what Braid did, regardless of what it was trying to do. It didn't fit together well. The ending of the game didn't fit with the rest of the experience, and the text boxes went from sorta fitting with the games themes to just being an annoyance. Their tone didn't match the rest of the experience, and not in a contrasting way, but simply in a garish and ugly way.

My experience was that the text boxes in the levels themselves were fine - I enjoyed rereading them afterward to see how they tied in with the level. But I do think that the "epilogue" was somewhat lacking. The snippets of history were too disjointed and didn't really tie in with what had just happened (either the direct Princess lack-of-rescue or the metaphorical science version). I liked the very last section (the part where he builds a castle out of his various ideas) but it kinda came out of nowhere instead of being built out of, well, the previous ideas.