What are you playing?

Dave

Staff member
I picked up Disco Elysium today based on reviews and people here gushing over it.

First playthrough I was very smart but weak. I tried to take a tie off a ceiling fan in the first room and had a heart attack. Dead.

Second playthrough I was physically strong and pretty smart, but I was a complete dick that couldn't read people. I went out back, failed a morale check...and apparently committed suicide or something because game over.

Son of a bitch. I haven't gone to playthrough #3 yet but is this what I have to look forward to?

Dave

Staff member
At least I had a save game on the second one. So I loaded it up and made the check. The game is just...slow.

I finished Disco Elysium yesterday, and I'll agree with Dave. My initial impression was that the game was slow too--almost to the point where I didn't want to play it anymore. However, I'm glad I stuck with it because it really grew on me, and I even came to appreciate the pace. My run through I did 4-6-1-2 and a focus in Endurance (that way my cap in endurance was 6, and not 1, so I could pump a point or two in there and not die from stubbing my toe). It was fantastic. I loved the arguments in my head and some of the dialogue choices were quite amazing. I loved a lot of the insight you got from Inland Empire, Espirit de Corps, Authority and Shivers. I'd personally recommend it, but it's not an RPG for someone who's waiting to see bullets fly.

Cat Quest II (Steam)
I picked up and played the first game after seeing a speed run.
I did not speed run it, but instead completed all possible quests. Making it one of a very small number of games that I have played to completion.
The second installment offers a couch co-op mode, which Eriol and I just finished - all quests, all but one dungeon, vast majority of items.
It's fun, and fluffy, and fair, and the controls make sense. And it's cute and full of awful cat (and this time dog) puns.
It's great if you don't want to think too terribly hard, but still want a bit of a challenge.

I finished Disco Elysium yesterday, and I'll agree with Dave. My initial impression was that the game was slow too--almost to the point where I didn't want to play it anymore. However, I'm glad I stuck with it because it really grew on me, and I even came to appreciate the pace. My run through I did 4-6-1-2 and a focus in Endurance (that way my cap in endurance was 6, and not 1, so I could pump a point or two in there and not die from stubbing my toe). It was fantastic. I loved the arguments in my head and some of the dialogue choices were quite amazing. I loved a lot of the insight you got from Inland Empire, Espirit de Corps, Authority and Shivers. I'd personally recommend it, but it's not an RPG for someone who's waiting to see bullets fly.
I played by first game with everything in mental and emotional, and while that was fine, I'm playing a second game that's top heavy in physical just so I can beat the shit out of everyone who annoyed me. Punching Cuno was very cathartic.

I played by first game with everything in mental and emotional, and while that was fine, I'm playing a second game that's top heavy in physical just so I can beat the shit out of everyone who annoyed me. Punching Cuno was very cathartic.
"Fuck does Cuno care?"

The Murphy Beds in The Sims 4 are screaming metal death traps. My sim was killed by hers more times in one play session (I reloaded) than I have ever had Sims die before. And I played a game where SimSnuffles got struck by lightning in rapid succession and SimGas couldn't stop setting himself on fire.

The Murphy Beds in The Sims 4 are screaming metal death traps. My sim was killed by hers more times in one play session (I reloaded) than I have ever had Sims die before. And I played a game where SimSnuffles got struck by lightning in rapid succession and SimGas couldn't stop setting himself on fire.
I hadda look it up. :p

Evidently, if you upgrade the beds, they don't break down as much. I don't have the Tiny Living add-on yet, so I haven't had a chance to play with it.

I hadda look it up. :p

Evidently, if you upgrade the beds, they don't break down as much. I don't have the Tiny Living add-on yet, so I haven't had a chance to play with it.
To make it not break down at all, you need lvl 8 handiness. The stop gap upgrade helps, but I still got killed twice after I did it.

Last edited:
Disco Elysium was the closest I've come to feeling like I was playing a table top RPG with an amazing GM.

I just beat Stars War Jedis Whom Have an Order that has Fallen. Here's my plea to Star Wars game makers, please stop setting your Jedi games between Episodes 3 and 4. This is a horrible deadzone where we fucking know the Jedi all God damn failed. Of course Cal and company were never going to restart the Jedi Order. Anyone who's ingested ANY Star Wars media knew that. Sad part is it's still just about the best Star Wars story since Disney took over (Even if Night Sister Merrin is maybe the most undercooked character in the whole game and her "ARC" is really poor and barely coherent).

Legends of Runeterra feels like a combination of the good parts of Magic and Hearthstone and I'm digging it.
I think there might be interesting gameplay here, but I'm absolutely not willing to slog through the animations and voicelines necessary to get through every single game. The fact that it pauses the resolution of spells and combat so the characters can spew their bullshit while the flashy lights fill the board is absolutely insufferable.

The tutorials are also not terribly clear on when you can play cards (it seems like you can play Burst spells without using up your action, but not in response to enemy burst spells? I think?), and I'm annoyed enough by the time wasted in the middle of every game that I don't care enough to go find out of game resources to figure it out. Maybe I'll check back at some point in the future, but for now it's a pass.

Shadow of War is pretty good now that they've taken out all the inhibitors they put in to make it shitty. Who'd have thought? It ends up being a stronger game than its predecessor in every gameplay-related way.

I made a highlight of it so we can cherish it forever.

On one hand, I'm disappointed I didn't default to Fallout Boy here, on the other hand, my daughter's district honor choir just sang that song so I'm pretty sure my brain was still recoiling from 150 13 year olds singing it in a middle school choir.

GasBandit

Staff member
I picked up Noita. It's a finnish indie sidescrolling platformer with randomized procedurally generated levels, permadeath, and holy fuck it is hard and unforgiving. But the fact that every play through is new and interesting and shows you something you didn't see before keeps you going back again and again like a masochist. And generally I don't like side scrolling platformer games anymore. So that's saying something.

Another interesting wrinkle to this game is that the environment is 100% destructible - as long as you have powerful enough shots to do so. Your starter wand barely scorches wood black, but you can find more powerful spells and bombs and even generate moving black holes to tunnel through things and get to hidden areas. All in all it's quite addictive.

It really depends on the type of game.
What's worst is the "worst of both kinds" type of game that looks procedurally generated, without any craft just building blocks plonked down together, but still being entirely static.

Be it PC, or PS3...the beer mission in Brutal Legend is the most FRUSTRATING god damned level of ANY video game! "Don't shake the cans or they'll explode"-EVERYTHING SHAKES THE DAMN THINGS!