What are you playing?

GasBandit

Staff member
I can really appreciate Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night for the awesome piece of metroidvania art it is.

But it's just not for me.

In other news, Die Young is really growing on me.

figmentPez

Staff member
Be it PC, or PS3...the beer mission in Brutal Legend is the most FRUSTRATING god damned level of ANY video game! "Don't shake the cans or they'll explode"-EVERYTHING SHAKES THE DAMN THINGS!
Really? I found a lot of things in Donkey Kong 64 to be much more frustrating. I didn't even remember the beer mission(s) in Brutal Legend.

Really? I found a lot of things in Donkey Kong 64 to be much more frustrating. I didn't even remember the beer mission(s) in Brutal Legend.
Don't get me wrong, that Beetle that Tiny raced in world two was...HORRIBLY annoying, as well as other bonecrushingly frustrating levels, BUT personal preference and what not.

Skylar and Plux: Adventures on Clover Island

Got this on sale a while back, PRETTY good so far, but I've yet to discern if its as much of a masterpiece as "A Hat in Time" in terms of 3D platformer throwbacks.

Edit: AND beat it, DAMN that was a short game! Like, only THREE stages and a ONE boss fight. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but it DOES leave ya hangin'.

Although IN the respect of that shortness, one could also say that it works for it rather than say Ratchet and Clank or Jak and Daxter that has the player go through fifty billion challenges to beat the game.

Last edited:
I wish I could find interest in ANYTHING right now. I have so much free time and every game I play is doing nothing for me.

I just finished the main storyline of the latest ff14 expansion, Shadowbringers.

Holy shit that was epic. And now the next chapter is due out really soon, this is the first time I've been not behind for one of these and get to go in blind like everyone else. I'm hype.

(Accidentally posted this in the Video Game News thread)

I played through the entirety of THE HEX last night. I was so disturbing and engrossing, I needed to see it through to the end. And wow, the rabbit hole on this game just gets deeper and deeper. I loved the developer's previous game, PONY ISLAND, but this tops it.

On the surface, both games appear to be simplistic, but there's so much more work going on. Layers are unpeeled and you dive down that rabbit hole, leaving you completely unnerved by the end. And just to show what kind of dedication goes into these, there's a secret ending IN A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAME. I do not recommend reading that article until you've played THE HEX, though.

Oh, I didn't realize this was like that other Soviet Womble walkie-talkie in the dark game.
Also it took almost the entire first interaction before I realized whether the avatar/streams went up/down or right/left.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh, I didn't realize this was like that other Soviet Womble walkie-talkie in the dark game.
Also it took almost the entire first interaction before I realized whether the avatar/streams went up/down or right/left.

--Patrick
It's the sequel to that game. We played that one too, but the video wasn't as funny I don't think.

Ok, the video is done and uploaded.

The format is kind of throwing me off a little. I think making essentially a 4-way split screen was unnecessary (with two screens for yours and Dei's usernames). Some kind of a side-by-side split would've worked better, and allowing us to see more of the action. Still damn hilarious, though. It's a good thing you weren't playing in the same room on different computers because she legit would've stabbed you.

GasBandit

Staff member
The format is kind of throwing me off a little. I think making essentially a 4-way split screen was unnecessary (with two screens for yours and Dei's usernames). Some kind of a side-by-side split would've worked better, and allowing us to see more of the action. Still damn hilarious, though. It's a good thing you weren't playing in the same room on different computers because she legit would've stabbed you.
Eh, a 2 way split wouldn't have made the screens any larger than a 4 way split. But maybe it would make it easier to follow.

I kinda had a 4 way split in mind, because I thought I could eventually adapt the format to add in Terrik and Snuffles... but that never materialized.

Thanks to some key trading on Reddit, I got Lego Incredibles. I'm thinking this might be my favorite Lego game to date. I especially like the city setting. Plus, there are other Pixar characters to unlock, which was a pleasant surprise.

One odd thing is the game introduces entirely new superheroes for the story campaign. Which feels odd to me since Incredibles 2 (the basis for this game) introduces several new heroes they could have used to tag along with Elastigirl. Not a deal breaker, but just odd.

I understand their necessity, since the Lego games are always co-op and the story missions taken from the movie are Elastigirl doing solo hero work. Given what happens to the heroes in the movie, though, this route kind of makes sense.

Also, I feel ashamed to admit I completely forgot about Incredibles 2, even though I saw it (and liked it a lot!) in theatres.

I'm playing on PC, so all I can say for sure is that everything on this end seems to be the same is it was. There's no new crossplay, and the systems for joining other players' sessions or answering flares seems to work like it did before the expansion.

Me: Woo! I got half a dozen new games from trading Steam keys on Reddit. I should play some of these.

Also Me: Y'know, I haven't played Subnautica in awhile...

It's funny, but I am fully playing Astral Chain and Half Life 2, and I'm loving both, but when my kids pointed out that Subnautica creative mode includes all the story without the painful dying, I went back to it. Particularly after partaking in the now legal THC-laden gummy trade in my state. I haven't finished, but it's way more chill.

The painful dying is half the fun though!

Things I have died to in Subnautica:
Getting swallowed by a variety of leviathans.
Getting blown up by angry red demon fish.
Overestimating my air supply and drowning in caves and wrecks.
Swimming too close to ugly fart manatees and dying to their farts.
Swimming in lava.
Swimming in thermal vents.
Overshooting a jump and falling down the side of a mountain.
Burned to death. Yes, in Subnautica.
And, of course, a wide array of bugs and glitches, some of them during the early access period.

I played for a good 20 hours the first time. The issue is that my time to play games is so limited that the dying painfully was getting in the way of meaningful exploration, so I couldn't get anything done in the time I had.