What are you playing?

I have probably bought more games because of @GasBandit reviews than any way else. I don't know how much more to compliment you Gassy, but you do a good sales job. You missed your calling in nerddom.

So one of my real life friends wanted to play Sea of Thieves and convinced me to play with her. Since Xbox Gamepass is a dollar right now for a 30 day trial, why the fuck not? She thought you also had to get Xbox Live Gold and was pleasantly surprised to find out you aren't gouged by that bullshit on PC. So, we played some Sea of Thieves for a dollar and had a good time. I apparently steered us directly into endgame content right off the bat, because I'm smart. I also ramming speeded our sloop into some other newish looking player and berserked my way onto their vessel screaming like a madman.

I had a good time tonight.

I could see playing this a few more times before getting bored. Worth the dollar.

Did Sega hire the people behind Sonic Mania, or did they just buy the game and assume Sonic Team could figure it out now?

I ask because I got it off PSN, played it for the first time last night, and want to know if this is the last great Sonic game there will ever be.

Did Sega hire the people behind Sonic Mania, or did they just buy the game and assume Sonic Team could figure it out now?

I ask because I got it off PSN, played it for the first time last night, and want to know if this is the last great Sonic game there will ever be.
The lead guy behind Sonic Mania is Christian Whitehead, who is also the reason you can play decent Sonic ports on mobile, because he created his own engine mimicking the original Sonic engine and made them work on mobile in an attempt to convince Sega to let him do them officially. They did, eventually.

From what I understand, SEGA only let him use the license and published Sonic Mania, they don't own the team that made it, they remain independent. So in short, yeah, it probably is the last good Sonic game.

It is because they say "cogedlo"?

(I just realized it 9 months later)
Nah, that'd be a point for the accent (since it doesn't have that connotation in Spain). The overall accent they chose sounds wrong-continent, and really off from any regional accent in Spain.

<A few minutes later> Looking at the VAs from the villagers, looks like it's a guy from Mexico, a guy from Panama, and an American lady that grew up between a bunch of places (Spain, Italy, Mexico, North Carolina).

Playing WoW, trying to wrap my head around the changes since I last played.

Flying over the Barrens, the very first message that pops in:

1:North Barrens General: Bill:Nazgaroob or whatever: Dems are cancer.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Dusted off Assassin's Creed 2 for nostalgia's sake, and to maybe play through the AC games again before I start playing my free copy of AC: Unity.

Who the hell thought it'd be a good idea to not allow players to control their camera angles in certain dungeons and tombs? I'm perfectly capable of aiming my own camera, thank you very much, I don't need you to do it for me, and throw off my jumps.

Other than that, it's still such a great game.

Teamfight Tactics, League of Legend's answer to Dota Auto Chess.

This explains the game, and now burgeoning genre, better than I could.

There is a bit more RNG than I care for but I've been having a great time with the beta so far. And bonus, if you liked the character designs of League but hated the community and having to deal with others raging at you, you're not on anyone's team but rather against 7 others.

Was holding off a few extra days before buying Bloodstained to see how good the Switch port is. Now that reviews for that have started to come in I've...bought it on Steam.

Damn, this is a good game.

Was holding off a few extra days before buying Bloodstained to see how good the Switch port is. Now that reviews for that have started to come in I've...bought it on Steam.

Damn, this is a good game.
I've heard that they're prioritizing fixing the Switch port at least.

Outer Wilds.

Currently an Epic store exclusive for PC, which blegh, but I've heard multiple people raving about it and it sounded intriguing enough. Enough for me to break my no new games this year vow (I've been good for 8 months now, 1 game is a far cry from the several 10's I'd normally have bought at this point last year.)

Ignoring for the moment the exclusivity and taking the game as it is, it's hard to sell without ruining the magic of what makes this game amazing and it's biggest hook which is better left to discover yourself.

As a new explorer of the fledgling Outer Wilds space team, you're tasked with visiting your immediate solar system, for the fun of it and also trying to unravel the mysterious Nomai culture that came before you. You awaken in the morning facing the stars, as is tradition for every young Outer Wilds astronaut before their first launch. A large explosion is silhouetted against a neighbouring planet which none of the other residents seem to notice nor are concerned about. You run through some tutorials by way of mini-quests to familiarize yourself with your tools, a signal finder and a probe camera launcher, tools to aid in your exploration and survival.

After some discoveries and likely some missteps which end in your untimely death, or if you do manage to survive
your closest star going supernova, all fades to black and you're met with a rapid-fire series of images recounting your last day in reverse.

You awaken in the morning facing the stars, as is tradition for every young Outer Wilds astronaut before their first launch. A large explosion is silhouetted against a neighbouring planet which none of the other residents seems to notice nor are concerned about.

And no one else seems to realize all of this has already happened.

Your ships logs retain all the past knowledge you've gathered and now it's time to set out again, once more into the time loop.

Outer Wilds is a survival game of sorts though I'd hazard exploration/puzzler/mystery is more apt. There is no inventory to manage, your resources simply your oxygen and fuel, easily maintained by returning to your ship and don't involve the often tedious mining or foraging common in survival games. The closest comparison to another game in terms of how it plays that I've played would be Firewatch.

If you can bring yourself to ignore the Epic exclusivity(a tall order), play it on Xbox or just wait until it hits steam eventually it really is something special and I can't recommend it enough.

Last edited:
After completing my runthrough of Assassin's Creed 2, I also did a playthrough of Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.

On the whole, Brotherhood is probably my favorite AC game, where they added just enough gameplay refinements to make it an upgrade over AC2, while not adding the egregious bugs and unnecessary gameplay mishmashes that showed up in Revelations. So it's a pity my game crashed right before I got to the ending. Oh well, I've played this game a dozen times through already, I know what happens.

Also I only realized in this playthrough that Cristina Vespucci has an amazing gravity-defying bosom.

Time to fire up Revelations.

After completing my runthrough of Assassin's Creed 2, I also did a playthrough of Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.

On the whole, Brotherhood is probably my favorite AC game, where they added just enough gameplay refinements to make it an upgrade over AC2, while not adding the egregious bugs and unnecessary gameplay mishmashes that showed up in Revelations. So it's a pity my game crashed right before I got to the ending. Oh well, I've played this game a dozen times through already, I know what happens.

Also I only realized in this playthrough that Cristina Vespucci has an amazing gravity-defying bosom.

Time to fire up Revelations.
I do believe that was my favorite Assassin's Creed game. The one set in Rome, right?

2 and it's various expansions were peak Assassin's Creed for me.

I even really liked the multiplayer they introduced during this time.

I could never be bothered finishing the one set when Istanbul was Constantinople. That was Revelations, right?

Never finished the original game, never finished 3, either. I liked Black Flag, and the other piratey game that used Rush song titles for most of the mission names. I believe that was Rogue.

I think I actually don't like these games, and just play them to kill time.

I could never be bothered finishing the one set when Istanbul was Constantinople. That was Revelations, right?

Never finished the original game, never finished 3, either. I liked Black Flag, and the other piratey game that used Rush song titles for most of the mission names. I believe that was Rogue.

I think I actually don't like these games, and just play them to kill time.
Revelations was the one set in Constantinople, yeah.

Never finished 3.

Black Flag made me realize I was done with the series for awhile as I much more enjoyed the pirate and ship parts than anything else. It was the last I played until recently.

A friend gave me Origin's a bit ago cause he got it in a bundle and didn't want it and I can't get into it.

Yeah Brotherhood is Rome, Revelations is Constantinople. Brotherhood was so good, with great gameplay refinements over AC2. Revelations was a step forward in some ways, and steps back in others, so that overall I find it slightly inferior to Brotherhood. It's still good and fun, because at its core it's still the same Assassin's Creed gameplay that I know and love, but the missteps are just too many and too severe to ignore, which means Brotherhood edges it.

@Dei Ahem...

Teamfight Tactics, League of Legend's answer to Dota Auto Chess.

This explains the game, and now burgeoning genre, better than I could.

There is a bit more RNG than I care for but I've been having a great time with the beta so far. And bonus, if you liked the character designs of League but hated the community and having to deal with others raging at you, you're not on anyone's team but rather against 7 others.