What are you playing?

Remember when priests had better Mana Regen than druids and paladins/shamans (because they were faction specific) so druids got in trouble if they innervated themselves instead of the priests? I remember.

Oh shit, remember when there was a limit of 10 debuffs on an enemy, so if your class had an attack that added a debuff, you couldn't use it because you might knock a needed dot off of the boss.

Guys, I can't begin to tell you how much the thought of Warlock summoning and shard farming makes me want to die.
There were a number of reasons why I quit WoW (in late 2005), but that was a prominent one, and how they were defending the idea of "shard-specific bags" and other bullshit. I'm glad it eventually went away, but the whole attitude itself felt toxic.

That said, if people have fun with WoW classic, good on them. If people find something fun, and it doesn't impact me, all the better to them. Policing other people's fun is not something I'm interested in anymore. (Yes I'll confess to the "anymore" part of it)
Like this:

There were a number of reasons why I quit WoW (in late 2005), but that was a prominent one, and how they were defending the idea of "shard-specific bags" and other bullshit. I'm glad it eventually went away, but the whole attitude itself felt toxic.

That said, if people have fun with WoW classic, good on them. If people find something fun, and it doesn't impact me, all the better to them. Policing other people's fun is not something I'm interested in anymore. (Yes I'll confess to the "anymore" part of it)
Like this:
They are welcome to have fun, I just wonder how much of the fun they think they will have is the nostalgia glasses talking.

Also lol @ the people who think they are going to be connecting to stable servers during a two hour stress test.

Like this:
I ain't a gonna begrudge people having fun, but no one can stop me from talking shit about how awful some aspects of old WoW was. Unfortunately, I think the best aspects, the friends I made and the community I was a part of, are no longer possible.

I finished Stories Untold. It was super short but entertaining.

I started Batman: Arkham Knight, which looks like a dream now that I've turned g-sync off (it was causing black flashes on this and DE:MD). I'm kind of torn on controlling it though. I started with the keyboard, but I'm really thinking I should switch to my xBone controller because hitting left control to fire missiles from my car was a real bitch. If anyone has any insight or opinions to share I'm always interested.

I've started Prototype 2. So far I'm definitely liking it. Basically everything is a step up from Prototype, with plenty of quality-of-life upgrades and new abilities to play around with. There were a few things that I needed to get used to, such as the interface working differently, but once I made the adjustment it was smooth sailing.

Though I'm not a huge fan of how the cutscenes all take place in darkness, giving them almost a monochrome feel. Did the devs not want us to see the cutscenes clearly or something?

I tried the Steam and XBox One controllers, and the XBox controller definitely won. We'll see if I change my mind when I get to setting more elaborate traps.

I tried the Steam and XBox One controllers, and the XBox controller definitely won. We'll see if I change my mind when I get to setting more elaborate traps.
The Batman games were designed with the xbone controller in mind. The steam controller really only shines in games without native controller support.

figmentPez

Staff member
The steam controller really only shines in games without native controller support.
Strongly disagree. I'm playing Borderlands 2 with my Steam Controller right now, and it's fantastic (to the point where I've turned off the aim assist that's on by default for controllers). In addition, Saints Row the Third and Shadow of Mordor are also fantastic games to play with the SC, and all these have native controller support. What makes the SC so much better than an Xbox controller in these games, in particular, is that they allow for mouse input aiming, while accepting joystick inputs for everything else. Analog sticks absolutely cannot get the precision that mouse input from touchpad and gryo can.

If Arkham Knight didn't act strangely when getting both mouse input and controller input, there wouldn't even be a contest, it would be hands-down better to use the Steam Controller during tank fights.

I found the SC to come in the most useful during the tank battles. Gryo aim, even when using mouse-like joystick, is far superior to using a stick.

I suspected when I looked at the config and it was using the Xbox one config for the Steam controller.
Most games default to using a generic controller configuration. That doesn't mean it's the best way to control that game. There are a lot of changes that can be made to improve the SC's ability to control Arkham Knight.

figmentPez

Staff member
If the Xbox 360 controller had a gyro sensor in it, the comparison might be a close call. Without it, there shouldn't even be a debate.

If the Xbox 360 controller had a gyro sensor in it, the comparison might be a close call. Without it, there shouldn't even be a debate.
Xbox one s is the controller I'm talking about. It still doesn't have a gyro sensor (which I'll again state I only find useful for shooters, which falls into the category of games better with kb/m, exactly the niche the steam controller was made for), but it is miles above the 360 controller, which came out 14 years ago

Finished my first playthrough of Prototype 2. Very good game, I like it very much. The story felt a bit short, and maybe it's me but I found it a bit hard to empathize with Heller, but other than those nitpicks I think it's excellent throughout.

Also, Sabrina Galloway is hot.

Since Gwent was free, I thought I'd give it a spin.
It reminds me of every other CCG out there, which isn't a bad thing. I generally like them.

What I don't like is knowing that I'll need to spend hundreds of hours playing this game before I know enough about card synergies to build decent decks. And knowing that I'll quit playing it long before that happens. Which, to be fair, is my complaint about every CCG I've ever played.

GasBandit

Staff member
MarZ: Tactical Base Defense

This game is right up my alley. It's a RTS focused on base-building and personnel/time management.

The idea is, arriving on mars at some point in the near future, we are surprised to find it overrun by zombies in 1960s soviet cosmonaut regalia. In order to safely colonize the planet, it must be reclaimed from the zombies and made safe, one sector at a time - and there's never enough men and materiel to do the job, so you have to be clever with your constructions.

There's a teensy bit of micromanagement in the form of crewing defenses and other buildings with too few crew, and also the purchase and deployment of one-shot superweapons like nukes and orbital laser strikes, but each defense emplacement itself doesn't need to be micromanaged, so it's all good.

You can pass a level so long as your base survives all the zombie horde waves, but you get special rewards in the form of "perks" if you do a perfect run. A perfect run requires that you not lose a single crewmember or module to the zombies (selling doesn't count) and your main building must not suffer even a single point of damage. When you play, you can select a single "perk" to gain an advantage for that level before starting. Some perks do things like make superweapons cheaper, or cut reinforcement request times in half, or make resource gathering units invulnerable, or make every horde 30 seconds late. This lets you pick an advantage that figures most into your playstyle and the particular requirements of the level. Getting those perfect runs are very challenging.

There's a half dozen types of defense tower (such as machine gun, rocket, laser, EMP, etc), resource gathering buildings, research buildings, etc, and each building must be crewed by a person to operate. You can request more crew as you need them, but that costs resources and they take time to be transported to you for assignment. And, if you need them to, the crew also carry ARs so they can shoot at zombies on foot, though they're much lower DPS than any tower in this way - but if some zombies sneak past your towers and are headed for your main building with nothing to stop them, a few dudes with rifles may be enough to take care of it without having to spend massive amounts of resources to relocate fixed defenses.

All in all, if you like RTS games or Tower Defense games, this one seems like a good buy, especially given that as an indie title it is priced at $20. I haven't made it all the way through the campaign yet, and I don't know if there's a skirmish mode or anything, so I can't speak to replayability, but I know there are 20 missions in the campaign and you can replay any one you want at any time. This isn't really as infinitely replayable as it sounds though, because there's generally one "solution" on each level of what to build when and where that gets you that perfect run. So, once you find that, that level is "solved." But even at that, it's a fun few hours. I'm only about halfway through it, and many of the levels thus far have required 3 or 4 attempts to get that perfect run.

GasBandit

Staff member
Here's some footage of me playing it last night. Oh, and turns out there IS a skirmish mode, so that bodes well for replayability, though I'm going to hold off playing it until I finish the campaign.

MarZ: Tactical Base Defense

This game is right up my alley. It's a RTS focused on base-building and personnel/time management.

The idea is, arriving on mars at some point in the near future, we are surprised to find it overrun by zombies in 1960s soviet cosmonaut regalia. In order to safely colonize the planet, it must be reclaimed from the zombies and made safe, one sector at a time - and there's never enough men and materiel to do the job, so you have to be clever with your constructions.

There's a teensy bit of micromanagement in the form of crewing defenses and other buildings with too few crew, and also the purchase and deployment of one-shot superweapons like nukes and orbital laser strikes, but each defense emplacement itself doesn't need to be micromanaged, so it's all good.

You can pass a level so long as your base survives all the zombie horde waves, but you get special rewards in the form of "perks" if you do a perfect run. A perfect run requires that you not lose a single crewmember or module to the zombies (selling doesn't count) and your main building must not suffer even a single point of damage. When you play, you can select a single "perk" to gain an advantage for that level before starting. Some perks do things like make superweapons cheaper, or cut reinforcement request times in half, or make resource gathering units invulnerable, or make every horde 30 seconds late. This lets you pick an advantage that figures most into your playstyle and the particular requirements of the level. Getting those perfect runs are very challenging.

There's a half dozen types of defense tower (such as machine gun, rocket, laser, EMP, etc), resource gathering buildings, research buildings, etc, and each building must be crewed by a person to operate. You can request more crew as you need them, but that costs resources and they take time to be transported to you for assignment. And, if you need them to, the crew also carry ARs so they can shoot at zombies on foot, though they're much lower DPS than any tower in this way - but if some zombies sneak past your towers and are headed for your main building with nothing to stop them, a few dudes with rifles may be enough to take care of it without having to spend massive amounts of resources to relocate fixed defenses.

All in all, if you like RTS games or Tower Defense games, this one seems like a good buy, especially given that as an indie title it is priced at $20. I haven't made it all the way through the campaign yet, and I don't know if there's a skirmish mode or anything, so I can't speak to replayability, but I know there are 20 missions in the campaign and you can replay any one you want at any time. This isn't really as infinitely replayable as it sounds though, because there's generally one "solution" on each level of what to build when and where that gets you that perfect run. So, once you find that, that level is "solved." But even at that, it's a fun few hours. I'm only about halfway through it, and many of the levels thus far have required 3 or 4 attempts to get that perfect run.
I feel like I saw this game advertised on Imgur once.