What are you playing?

Due to the generosity of one Nick Guy (by the way, thanks again, man), I am playing Sleeping Dogs. Haven't played much yet, only about 30 minutes into the game, but so far I'm definitely liking it. The setting and atmosphere are deliciously Asian, the combat makes me feel like a modern kung fu master, and the storyline is piquing my interest so far.

Seriously, the combat is so much fun. It's great finishing a fight and surveying your handiwork... there's one guy slammed head-first into a stereo speaker, one guy crushed under a sliding door, two guys thrown through a plate glass window, one guy thrown into a vending machine, and three other guys lying broken and unconscious on the ground as a result of good old fashioned fisticuffs.
I replayed this because of you. Thank you. I had a couple little nitpicks about it, though:

1) The game seems to be night time far too much. It makes site seeing less fun.
2) The guns spoil the fun. The finale mission would've been so much more fun of it was like the fight clubs in the game.

Oh, and two more.

-The boss fights were annoying for the reason you said - they change the rules.
-The cop XP maxed out way too early in the game for me.

Wait, a few more.
-The camera hacking becames nothing but a roadblock once I figured out a guaranteed solution routine.
-The combo-locked cashboxes were a time-wasting roadblock right from the start.

I really like the game, though, and it's behind only Saints Rows 2 and 3 for me.

GasBandit

Staff member
You're looking at the 4th best Crucible Holdout player on Killing Floor: Incursion (the VR killing floor) in the entire world. I only wish I had been streaming it (though it took me an hour and 40 minutes). I think, if I tackled it again earlier in the day on a weekend, I could take the number one spot (I scored 50,000 and change, and number one is 72k). I know for darn sure I can get to at least #2 without much more effort, those guys are in the 50s too. Once I get into a rhythm, there's no stopping me... much like that time I played KF2 endless mode for over 5 hours and got stupidly far.

So yeah, the new CPU I installed works pretty good :D

Edit: went back in and screenshotted the leaderboard

1549608151744.png

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Did it. Officially the best in the world. God my hands hurt. 87000 points in 2 hours and 24 minutes (two seconds longer than the previous first place holder, who only got 71k)

1549752493721.png

To be fair, everything after 30,000 points or so is more of an endurance grind. Winner is he whose hands cramp up last and has the biggest bladder.

Did it. Officially the best in the world. God my hands hurt. 87000 points in 2 hours and 24 minutes (two seconds longer than the previous first place holder, who only got 71k)

View attachment 28612

To be fair, everything after 30,000 points or so is more of an endurance grind. Winner is he whose hands cramp up last and has the biggest bladder.
And is the most resistant to vertigo.

Hey, you know what's a really good adventure game?

Thimbleweed Park

I just started playing it and it has some DAMN good puzzles. Nothing particularly difficult; just very clever or complicated enough to feel rewarding.

Man, so I was REALLY digging Crosscode...and then I wasn't. It's soooo grindy. I know it's meant to be emulating an MMO. But that shit is not necessary.

GasBandit

Staff member
And is the most resistant to vertigo.
This is true. To do well in holdout requires free movement. Teleporting just doesn't cut the mustard once the scrakes and fleshpounds start showing up. Heck, even the husks will rip you a new one.

Giving Final Fantasy 14 a try, on the primal datacenter, Marlboro world. As someone who used to love WoW, so far this is right in my wheelhouse. Also, I'm happy with how anime I can make my character.

Level 35 in Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Still not bored.
Finished Bastion.
Next are the Banner Saga games. I heard they are good but I suck at strategy games.

Giving Final Fantasy 14 a try, on the primal datacenter, Marlboro world. As someone who used to love WoW, so far this is right in my wheelhouse. Also, I'm happy with how anime I can make my character.

I know, recently had a buddy in Japan start playing and he talked me into wanting to play it. I just don't have the time. The game has some hella eclectic boss themes, some of which are rip ass awesome knockoffs of 90's numetal and I dig it 100%

THE BOSS THEME IN QUESTION!

Starts with a remix Atma Weapon theme from FF6 (which by itself is fucking awesome) and transitions...into...well.....click 3:20 into the song.

I tried to start playing again recently but there's some mix up with the version I have being registered through steam. Emailed support they emailed back for some more info and then I realized I don't care.

Last edited:
At first I was disappointed because it clearly was one one-winged-angel. But then... POWERMAN 5000??!!
That's just the in-game version. The house band for FF14, The Primals, does full versions with lyrics. They go on tour and also do albums, with a new one coming out soon to cover stuff from Stormblood.

The Powerman 5000-esque song for Sephirot is pretty good. I prefer Oblivion from Shiva and Fallen Angel from Garuda.

Yakuza 0, a.k.a.: Cutscene The Game

Why is this game so highly praised? No seriously, why?

From when I hit "start game" I had to wait over twenty minutes before I could even move my character. I moved him briefly, then there was a cutscene and a short, introductory fight. Then another cutscene. And another. And another and another. Then a brief karaoke mini-game. Cutscene, cutscene, cutscene, fucking cutscene. Even when I tried skipping a cutscene, it went right to another one THREE MORE TIMES.

Fuck.
That.
Shit.

When the ratio of cutscene to gameplay weighs much heavier on the cutscene, I will not have patience for that shit. I'm playing a game to play it, not watch it.

GasBandit

Staff member
That's just the in-game version. The house band for FF14, The Primals, does full versions with lyrics. They go on tour and also do albums, with a new one coming out soon to cover stuff from Stormblood.

The Powerman 5000-esque song for Sephirot is pretty good. I prefer Oblivion from Shiva and Fallen Angel from Garuda.

Ehh on Oblivion... I was never that big on Flyleaf.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by my environment too, because the audio mastering on those youtube videos is REALLY awful.

Ehh on Oblivion... I was never that big on Flyleaf.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by my environment too, because the audio mastering on those youtube videos is REALLY awful.
That's actually a rip from the blu-ray that came with the "From Astral to Umbral" bluray, so it's really Square's fault for doing it like that. Regardless, these aren't the in-game versions... the in-game versions sound closer to the rest of the music and less like live performances.

But yes; every Primal and important boss fight gets the Square Enix treatment for their music. It's legitimately one of the biggest things that set it apart from WoW and the rest; the sound design for FF14 is AMAZING.

GasBandit

Staff member
Can we request songs?
I have to pick from songs they make available to me, so requests would be kinda limited. However, I think there's a twitch plugin for this, so, if I actually livestream me playing, people watching my twitch stream might be able to, I think.

I have to pick from songs they make available to me, so requests would be kinda limited. However, I think there's a twitch plugin for this, so, if I actually livestream me playing, people watching my twitch stream might be able to, I think.
Is Let it Go one of the available songs?

GasBandit

Staff member
Is Let it Go one of the available songs?
Heh, I'd find it hard to believe amazon went out of their way to license disney songs... but if they did, I expect they'll be popular choices.

Also, the game REALLY encourages duets... so we'll see what happens if anybody else around here gets in the beta...

Heh, I'd find it hard to believe amazon went out of their way to license disney songs... but if they did, I expect they'll be popular choices.

Also, the game REALLY encourages duets... so we'll see what happens if anybody else around here gets in the beta...
I'm "in line" for it. Who knows when I'll get acepted.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm "in line" for it. Who knows when I'll get acepted.
Yeah, since we all applied for it at the same time, I was kinda surprised the rest of you didn't get your invites at the same time... maybe they're prioritizing affiliates ahead of non-monetizers?

Dave

Staff member
I'm not even going to try. My wife thinks it's weird enough that I stream. Singing in the basement might just push her over the edge.

Yakuza 0, a.k.a.: Cutscene The Game

Why is this game so highly praised? No seriously, why?

From when I hit "start game" I had to wait over twenty minutes before I could even move my character. I moved him briefly, then there was a cutscene and a short, introductory fight. Then another cutscene. And another. And another and another. Then a brief karaoke mini-game. Cutscene, cutscene, cutscene, fucking cutscene. Even when I tried skipping a cutscene, it went right to another one THREE MORE TIMES.

Fuck.
That.
Shit.

When the ratio of cutscene to gameplay weighs much heavier on the cutscene, I will not have patience for that shit. I'm playing a game to play it, not watch it.
At least there's no video essay about nuclear non proliferation treaties, and you don't have to listen to some NPC (who you just saved from a homicidal suicidal ninja) yammer on about his anime fandom in excessive detail. Or click through endless text dialogue about some other NPC's family issues. All (and more) while you're infiltrating a military base to save the world from nuclear war.

Geeze. It was a PSone game and I'm still ranting about Metal Gear Solid.:aaah:

At least there's no video essay about nuclear non proliferation treaties, and you don't have to listen to some NPC (who you just saved from a homicidal suicidal ninja) yammer on about his anime fandom in excessive detail. Or click through endless text dialogue about some other NPC's family issues. All (and more) while you're infiltrating a military base to save the world from nuclear war.

Geeze. It was a PSone game and I'm still ranting about Metal Gear Solid.:aaah:
I LOOOOOOVED Metal Gear Solid and replayed it several times.

But that was a Nick almost 20 years younger. 40-year-old Nick would not have the patience for that today.