What are you playing?

Dave

Staff member
After an absolutely depressing day playing PUBG, I did some duos in a game called Ring of Elysium. It's also a Battle Royale shooter, but you pick your starting spot, pretty much know where everyone else started at, and you start with a weapon. We actually won the first game and I had 2 kills doing it. Didn't win at all the rest of the night, but this game is a bit more forgiving of we older, less twitch-shooting people.

I like it.

Has anyone played the Breath of the Wild DLC?

Would you recommend that I buy it while I play through it the first time?

I’m not very far in, I don’t think. I have one of the four animals on my team now.
I'd say the master sword DLC is for those who hate themselves (I just don't like the mechanic of "hey, let's pull ALL your upgrades from the entire game from you (and especially those pesky armor upgrades you got that help you survive, can't have those!), that'll be fun!" Ummm, NO! It's basically for "if you're great at dodging, and take no damage normally, this DLC is for you! Otherwise, FUCK YOU!" It's like the FAR WORSE nightmare version of that island off the coast to the SE, since you really can't heal much either in that DLC.

That said, the Song of the Champions DLC is great, but it's also basically post-game, as you need ALL of your divine beasts done to even start it. With the exception of the FIRST part of the quest (one-hit-kill, but one-hit-die too) it's a pretty good progression on the rest of the game, and fun. Sad that the reward is "so-so" though others like it a lot. I really liked the expanded story of it though, gave a lot more about their lives pre-game, which I liked.

Why did Capcom put in that one-shot rule for the Resident Evil 2 demo? You can spend 2 minutes making a throwaway account on your PS4 and just play it again and again to your heart's content. It's such an easily bypassable restriction and just adds a little bit of annoyance. Why annoy your audience?
I think it's there as a gimmick to try to make it more scary/stressful.

GasBandit

Staff member
I had intended to spend sunday finishing getting my office room ready for the Oculus Rift that is supposed to arrive today.

BUT THEN I SPENT LITERALLY THE ENTIRE DAY IN EMPYRION.

Dammit

Hollow Knight is a game I played on steam, but I've since rebought it on switch and fallen in love all over again. It's a beautiful, vast, incredibly detailed game that's also really hard but rewarding. I really love this game, and I'm sad that I ignored it for so long because I thought it was a Shovel Knight spinoff...

If you like metroidvania games or dark souls, you really should check this game out.

I'm in doubt. I sort of feel like a space shooter, but I've never been one for the too-simulation variety. As such, I've decided to replay one of the older more arcadey ones. I have both Freelancer and Darkstar One installed on my PC right now (and, yes, surprisingly, I own both legally - DSO twice, even, as I own discs and GOG versions).
I'm in doubt which one I want to play, though. DSO has better graphics and voice acting, has full subtitles, and is in general slightly more polished. You only get one ship for the whole game, though, and all systems are more or less copies of one another. FL is older, has the slightly better story (though, they're nearly the same), more ship variety, has scavenger hunting for wrecks with special weapons and illegal stuff, and is, comparatively, "the original". Slightly clunkier movement and more actual-text-in-boxes menus and lay-out, though. And it *really* isn't made for higher resolutions, with text flowing outside of their boxes and all that.
Anyone suggestions?

More Beat Saber videos. I'm pretty sure I beat my score on this level this morning, but I didn't record it. I popped this one up to show Gas my invisible walls mod, so I figured I might as well post it here too.

GasBandit

Staff member
Dei is way better than me at Beat Saber (though, in my defense, last night was my first time playing it).

I streamed it for a while but I need to set the camera mods up so it's less nauseating for my viewers.... the first person perspective does not translate well into 2D.

Gorn is fun as hell.

Subnautica works pretty well in VR if you have a controller to play with (to use instead of the rift touch controllers).

I wish we had a Halforums-specific VR chat (and that we all could afford VR :p though, I guess technically it seems a lot of people use the VRChat client on a monitor and use mouse and keyboard)

Why is there so much fucking Screwball in the Spider-Man PS4 game? Most annoying character in the game BY far.

Well, except for the fat minigun guys. Those guys are the God damn worst (double God damn worst when flanked by 45 rocket launchers).

Why is there so much fucking Screwball in the Spider-Man PS4 game? Most annoying character in the game BY far.

Well, except for the fat minigun guys. Those guys are the God damn worst (double God damn worst when flanked by 45 rocket launchers).
Eyyy, I know who just got to the dlc!

I'm in doubt. I sort of feel like a space shooter, but I've never been one for the too-simulation variety. As such, I've decided to replay one of the older more arcadey ones. I have both Freelancer and Darkstar One installed on my PC right now (and, yes, surprisingly, I own both legally - DSO twice, even, as I own discs and GOG versions).
I'm in doubt which one I want to play, though. DSO has better graphics and voice acting, has full subtitles, and is in general slightly more polished. You only get one ship for the whole game, though, and all systems are more or less copies of one another. FL is older, has the slightly better story (though, they're nearly the same), more ship variety, has scavenger hunting for wrecks with special weapons and illegal stuff, and is, comparatively, "the original". Slightly clunkier movement and more actual-text-in-boxes menus and lay-out, though. And it *really* isn't made for higher resolutions, with text flowing outside of their boxes and all that.
Anyone suggestions?
Freelancer. Because if you don't enjoy it, or want to play more when you finish it, Darkstar One will feel like a step up. Going the other way will be less likely to work.

GasBandit

Staff member
Subnautica in VR is much easier to control with an xbox controller, as I surmised.

I consider myself to have a pretty high tolerance for stick-based movement in VR... but apparently 3 hours is my limit, at least in Subnautica. The lateral and up/down drifting movements start to do a number on me around then.

Final Fantasy IV (Steam Edition)

You guys know my unending love for FFIV. It's not only one of my favourite Final Fantasy games, but one of my all-time favourites alongside Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father.

I was greatly disappointed that its PC release was the Nintendo DS remake, which replaced the original sprite version with 3D models. For the longest time, I was relentlessly against it, going so far as to politely decline someone gifting it to me (I think @Adam, actually) because I wanted no part of it.

And yet...I considered buying it every time it went on sale. So finally, I broke and bought it through the Humble Bundle store.

And it's...actually not bad so far. I don't like the closely zoomed in the top camera because it doesn't show the scale of, say, the castle towers. But I like how they made some cut scenes more dynamic, like the destruction of the summoner village. The voice acting is...mostly not great, but it's more passable than I expected. There's one REALLY over-dramatic "WHY!?!" that gave me flashbacks to Revenge of the Sith. But so far, not bad. I really like the detailed, animated monsters during battles. Even the goblins look great.

Of course, there's still the music that never gets old. The engrossing story, characters, and world. A LOT of nostalgic biases that might make my criticisms against it more forgivable.

I get the feeling by the end, I'll have the same opinion on this as I did the Gabriel Knight remake: I'll like some of what they did, but will probably just return to the original when I feel like replaying it.

You guys know my unending love for FFIV. It's not only one of my favourite Final Fantasy games, but one of my all-time favourites alongside Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father.

I was greatly disappointed that its PC release was the Nintendo DS remake, which replaced the original sprite version with 3D models. For the longest time, I was relentlessly against it, going so far as to politely decline someone gifting it to me (I think @Adam, actually) because I wanted no part of it.

And yet...I considered buying it every time it went on sale. So finally, I broke and bought it through the Humble Bundle store.

And it's...actually not bad so far. I don't like the closely zoomed in the top camera because it doesn't show the scale of, say, the castle towers. But I like how they made some cut scenes more dynamic, like the destruction of the summoner village. The voice acting is...mostly not great, but it's more passable than I expected. There's one REALLY over-dramatic "WHY!?!" that gave me flashbacks to Revenge of the Sith. But so far, not bad. I really like the detailed, animated monsters during battles. Even the goblins look great.

Of course, there's still the music that never gets old. The engrossing story, characters, and world. A LOT of nostalgic biases that might make my criticisms against it more forgivable.

I get the feeling by the end, I'll have the same opinion on this as I did the Gabriel Knight remake: I'll like some of what they did, but will probably just return to the original when I feel like replaying it.
Didn't someone on here by that for you years ago?

Dave

Staff member
Played PUBG with a squad today. I was actually not a useless lump. The stat everyone looks at is ADR - Average Damage per Round. My normal squad average is 46. My games today were around 159 with a string of 3 games in a row where I was 200+. I actually felt like a productive member of the team.

https://pubg.op.gg/user/CrankyOldDave

GasBandit

Staff member
I made @Dei a Beat Saber avatar based on her Halforums Academy alter ego, Dei Skates. Here's me testing it out. The skirt doesn't animate/collide, but otherwise, not too shabby, IMO.

I'm still not anywhere as good at Beat Saber as she is, though.

GasBandit

Staff member
I think I'm getting the hang of this Beat Saber avatar thing. Shego only took me an hour or so to convert over.

Her skirt gets a little odd from the back and starts to look like shorts, but meh.

w
I made @Dei a Beat Saber avatar based on her Halforums Academy alter ego, Dei Skates. Here's me testing it out. The skirt doesn't animate/collide, but otherwise, not too shabby, IMO.

I'm still not anywhere as good at Beat Saber as she is, though.

You'd have to have more than an hour of game time to even consider comparing yourself though. :p

GasBandit

Staff member
Ah, I thought it was some kind of sensor lighting or sensor placement issue.

--Patrick
That might contribute some as well. Though, sometimes I'll also "shake" one of the sabers to move the lanyard back up my wrist if it slips.

Additionally, the Oculus doesn't do full body tracking, just head and hands, so the game is also deciding where the feet go, and when and how they decide to move.

Yay, I'm helpful!

Hollow Knight continues to impress. Upgrades are few and far between but every one feels significant, and gives you an entirely new verb to use in combat and interacting with the world. The scope of the game keeps drawing out to be bigger and bigger, and the story is subtle but fascinating.