What are you playing?

War Thunder in VR is pretty goddamn sweet. Though, if you're not careful (and you play in any mode that doesn't draw the cockpit around you as if you were literally sitting in the pilot's seat), vertigo will make you its bitch.
Wait, I could have been playing War Thunder in VR?

GasBandit

Staff member
Wait, I could have been playing War Thunder in VR?
Yeah. But if anything, it adds a layer of difficulty if you want it to be really fun and immersive, so while I used to usually get top 3 in quickjoin arcade battles, now I'm always last. But it really breathes new life into the game, especially the solo battles. Try the Battle of Britain solo mission. It's a blast in VR, first person in cockpit.

Oh, and it doesn't support the touch controllers, so for best results, use an xbox controller and set the controls to joysticks instead of mouse aim.

I love that we are supposed to believe that this guy got an expensive piece of equipment to play(?) something on one of this cheap pieces of plastic you strap your phone in.

Money well spend.

Yeah. But if anything, it adds a layer of difficulty if you want it to be really fun and immersive, so while I used to usually get top 3 in quickjoin arcade battles, now I'm always last. But it really breathes new life into the game, especially the solo battles. Try the Battle of Britain solo mission. It's a blast in VR, first person in cockpit.

Oh, and it doesn't support the touch controllers, so for best results, use an xbox controller and set the controls to joysticks instead of mouse aim.
Just reading "use an Xbox controller" makes be nauseous. I can't deal with that at all, full cockpit rendering or not.

GasBandit

Staff member
Just reading "use an Xbox controller" makes be nauseous. I can't deal with that at all, full cockpit rendering or not.
Well, if you HAVE a real flightstick, you can use that, but I've just found I prefer using the controller (if I can't use the touch controls) for VR instead of the mouse/kb/joystick because I don't need to see it or put it on a hard surface to use it.

But yeah, if you have ANY nausea issues with VR, this is not gonna be the one for you in ANY way shape or form. Aerobatics are a biiiiiitch.

Well, if you HAVE a real flightstick, you can use that, but I've just found I prefer using the controller (if I can't use the touch controls) for VR instead of the mouse/kb/joystick because I don't need to see it or put it on a hard surface to use it.

But yeah, if you have ANY nausea issues with VR, this is not gonna be the one for you in ANY way shape or form. Aerobatics are a biiiiiitch.
I play Elite Dangerous in VR, and the only time I've gotten motion sick in my life is when my thrusters get shot out and I start to tumble through space

It's not the controller, it's any game that moves me without me also physically moving. I couldn't even make it through 20 seconds of epic roller coasters when the coaster was going slow on a flat track.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's not the controller, it's any game that moves me without me also physically moving. I couldn't even make it through 20 seconds of epic roller coasters when the coaster was going slow on a flat track.
This is not the game for you. This is VERY not the game for you.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yes I believe that's what I said.
Actually, no, what you said was

Which you later amended to "any game that moves you without you physically moving."

But now he BELIEVES you.

--Patrick
I was emphasizing that the (amended) things that make her nauseous are excruciatingly prevalent in this game.

Actually, no, what you said was

Which you later amended to "any game that moves you without you physically moving."

I was emphasizing that the (amended) things that make her nauseous are excruciatingly prevalent in this game.
You are forgetting that we previously had a whole conversation about how I couldn't play Subnautica in VR if I had to move with a controller. I assumed you would remember that conversation, but I guess memory goes fast when you're old.

GasBandit

Staff member
You are forgetting that we previously had a whole conversation about how I couldn't play Subnautica in VR if I had to move with a controller. I assumed you would remember that conversation, but I guess memory goes fast when you're old.
Laugh it up, fuzzball, you're right behind me through that door to senility :p

But it's a totally different beast from subnautica. Subnautica I could handle even without a cockpit so long as I was moving forward/backwards and not side to side or up and down.

War thunder always moves forwards (unless you do something REALLY REALLY WRONG), but I have to have a cockpit or my brain immediately starts freaking out, even though I'm always moving forwards.

GasBandit

Staff member
Here you go, guys, ride the vomit comet.

The aiming looks a little off because the oculus mirror only shows what my right eye sees, and often I am with either my left or both eyes.

GasBandit

Staff member
I would play this in a heartbeat.
It's free.

Oh, but I should reiterate the warning - the multiplayer will be frustrating because you'll be playing against people who are NOT in VR, and are basically cheating because normal arcade mode just lets you move a mouse cursor over your target (in 3rd person camera, too) and the plane handles all its own flying to get itself pointed where you want it. Makes shooting down people who actually are flying the realistic way, from inside the cockpit, super duper easy.

GasBandit

Staff member
I would need the setup that guy has and I rather don't think I'll get one. I can't use a controller and I can't keyboard blind.
I'm "that guy" in the video. That's me. I'm just sitting in a chair where my sensors can see me. All you need is the headset (which you have already, don't you?), and I'm using a controller, which makes flying mostly easy (thumbsticks suck for fine adjustments though). Left stick is ailerons and elevator, right stick is rudder and throttle. Right trigger fires. That's basically all you need to play. The only other button I use is Y (top one, yellow) to switch between cameras.

But yeah, if you don't want to use a controller and don't have a joystick, you're kinda out of luck. A regular joystick will work fine though. You'll never have to take your hand off of it, and you just need to keep your other hand's fingers on WASD to handle the rudder and throttle.

Dave

Staff member
I'm "that guy" in the video. That's me. I'm just sitting in a chair where my sensors can see me. All you need is the headset (which you have already, don't you?), and I'm using a controller, which makes flying mostly easy (thumbsticks suck for fine adjustments though). Left stick is ailerons and elevator, right stick is rudder and throttle. Right trigger fires. That's basically all you need to play. The only other button I use is Y (top one, yellow) to switch between cameras.

But yeah, if you don't want to use a controller and don't have a joystick, you're kinda out of luck. A regular joystick will work fine though. You'll never have to take your hand off of it, and you just need to keep your other hand's fingers on WASD to handle the rudder and throttle.
I thought this was done using the setup from the guy above where he's lying on the contraption.

I didn't realize it was a phone when I posted it.
Maybe we'll finally get that Superman 64 remake we've been waiting for.

--Patrick

Here's my last spam of the day. I missed the last set of notes on this one which made me vastly irritated but I was too tired to bother redoing the whole damn 4 and a half minute level. Missing inside the level is fine, but missing that obviously makes me die inside.

Resident Evil 2 remake:

How the resident evil team was able to go from the crap that was resident evil 5 and 6, into the masterwork that was Resident Evil 7, and now this, amazes me.

RE2 so far is a fantastic game and a great reimagining of the original with all new gameplay. It's basically a brand new game recalling the stuff in the original, and it's also damn scary.

Resident Evil 2 remake:

How the resident evil team was able to go from the crap that was resident evil 5 and 6, into the masterwork that was Resident Evil 7, and now this, amazes me.

RE2 so far is a fantastic game and a great reimagining of the original with all new gameplay. It's basically a brand new game recalling the stuff in the original, and it's also damn scary.
If RE2 is Dawn of the Dead (1978), then REmake 2 is Dawn of the Dead (2004): a more action-packed take on the same premise, that is good in it's own right by being decidedly different.