What are you playing?

Battletech

FInally!

I was a $50 backer of the kickstarter, only to find my old potato couldn't run it. At least I invested in a good project though, right?

Well, I can play it now. And while I've only done two skirmishes, I really like it. I got slaughtered the first time - I took down 1 Commando mech, the AI killed my whole team. But that wasn't RNG or cheating, I made tactical mistakes - spreading my mechs out too far so my heavy hitter wasn't in position to strike most of the time, allowing their team to dogpile on one mech after another. And one mech did get a fatal OHKO from an AC20 to the head randomly.

The second time, I put the mechs in better position to back each other up and use their firepower more effectively. It worked pretty well. I lost two, but killed the enemy team. It hit the right note between challenging and rewarding. I look forward to starting the campaign.

Dave

Staff member
Got my second Chicken Dinner tonight in PUBG! Sorry I'm creepy breathing guy. When I concentrate I guess I'm a mouth breather. I do love how long it takes me to realize what happened.

And another funny video of a guy who killed me. I spectated him and then this happened:

GasBandit

Staff member
I know I often gush about Sins of a Solar Empire, and encourage people to buy SOSE: Rebellion, but having played it a lot lately, I'm reminded that I should make a couple caveats with that.

The game I fell in love with was Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity. Rebellion was the next (standalone) expansion to SOSE:Trinity, and while it does make some improvements, I'm here to tell you to turn off the defining feature of Rebellion: the titan ships.

Titans arguably ruin the game. They change it from a 4x RTS into a MOBA, and not a particularly balanced MOBA either. This is because each player can only build one titan, and the titans scale ridiculously with level and offensive-based titans always beat defensive/support titans. So, it becomes a formulaic race to:
1) Pick a faction that has an offensive-type Titan (IE, the TEC Rebels)
2) Research and build your titan FIRST to the detriment of all else
3) Run wild all over everything, leveling up your titan as quickly as possible, before the other players can.

Whichever player does this first/fastest, wins. That's all. It entirely removes any other strategy from viability. Fortunately, when you're setting up a game, you can turn off Titans in the setup. That makes the game 10x better.

The other thing I gotta emphasize is: if you're playing single player against computers, MAKE THE TEAMS PERMANENT (and preferably every man for himself, unless you manually set up balanced teams). As in, no making/breaking alliances during play. Because otherwise, there's nothing to prevent half the computer players from deciding to form an alliance and absolutely curbstomp you and any AIs that don't play ball with the Big AI Alliance. And it gets even worse if that alliance then allies with the pirates. Might as well stick your head in the oven because you're done.

Played Middle-Earth Shadow of War until about 3:00 AM last night. It was oddly cathartic laying waste to hundreds of orcs.

Or is that...cathartORC?

Eh? *nudge nudge* EH? CathartORC?

Also, maybe it's just me, but when you hypnotize an orc to join your side, I keep getting flashbacks to Disney's Aladdin.

"The princess WILL marry me!"

GasBandit

Staff member
Snuffles and I took Terrik to the super-nuts difficult "secret level" Fortunes of War in Vermintide 2. A good time was had, and we actually won.

GasBandit

Staff member
Factorio - I keep forgetting that bases are not necessarily permanent. Hey, you know that massive manufacturing complex you built? You ran out of resources there, huh? Well, I guess you better make a desperate scrounge so you can build a rail line to that big patch of resources 2 miles away OH WAIT MY ENTIRE BASE FITS IN MY BACKPACK BECAUSE MASSIVE BUILDINGS TAKE UP THE SAME SPACE AS A PISTOL AND EVERYTHING STACKS IN HUNDREDS SO WHY DON'T I JUST CRAM EVERYTHING IN MY POCKET AND JUST MOVE HOUSE

I tuned in to Dei and Terrik playing Star Trek just in time to catch this little comedy bit.
I want to play this so bad. I bought it when it first came out in the hopes that I could get a VR system set up, but never have.

But I just checked Wikipedia which says "In December 2017, the game developers modified the game so that it can be played without a virtual-reality headset. Prior to that, the game could only be played using a headset " so dang! I'm gonna give it a shot :D

Reactions: Dei

GasBandit

Staff member
So you missed this eh?
Yeah, I didn't get home until 10:30 last night, so you guys were just wrapping up and I got to see you trash those last two romulans and that was it.

So how is the rift running on the 1060? I hear you talking about headaches a lot...

Yeah, I didn't get home until 10:30 last night, so you guys were just wrapping up and I got to see you trash those last two romulans and that was it.

So how is the rift running on the 1060? I hear you talking about headaches a lot...
I'm on a 1070, and I only got a headache after playing two hours of a shooter that made me move around a lot after I had already played two hours of beat saber earlier. My son is the one that is going to put a 1060 into his PC but we haven't gotten around to it.

Also, what is a lot? I said it once in reference to Terrik not streaming the game he had already been streaming for awhile.

Last edited:
I want to play this so bad. I bought it when it first came out in the hopes that I could get a VR system set up, but never have.

But I just checked Wikipedia which says "In December 2017, the game developers modified the game so that it can be played without a virtual-reality headset. Prior to that, the game could only be played using a headset " so dang! I'm gonna give it a shot :D
Well what do you know..it works :D

Reactions: Dei
Middle-Earth: Shadow of War

Honestly, I don't think I'm going to bother finishing this. It's not that it's bad. It's just so repetitive. After taking down my first fortress, the world opened up and there were I think half a dozen more. And all with the same side stuff and collectables in each area. And I thought to myself, "Ugh. This game is fine, but it's not fun enough to plow through all of that." The gameplay just isn't varied enough and traveling around isn't really all that fun. At least with sandbox games like Batman or Spider-Man, the manner of traveling is fun and the gadgets and moves are wide enough that combat rarely feels repetitive.

The various orc personalities almost makes me consider continuing on, but it's so repetitive, I don't think I'll bother.

Last edited:
Steam itttttttt

Watching Terrik play Beat Saber is actually kind of impressive.
I've already beaten his high scores for some songs. But I get really perfectionist sometimes when I've already cleared a song once, and I can't imagine it's fun to watch me restart my game over and over again until I finally suck it the fuck up and just play through it. :p

I've already beaten his high scores for some songs. But I get really perfectionist sometimes when I've already cleared a song once, and I can't imagine it's fun to watch me restart my game over and over again until I finally suck it the fuck up and just play through it. :p
Please, I wasn't even trying.

On a side note, I might stream some of my classmates doing this later.