What are you playing?

Costume Quest

Pros:Fun little RPG filled with lots of silly jokes and action based combat strategy mechanics.

Cons: Learning the hard way that using a non-steam controller to play this game is practically impossible without suffering lag.

figmentPez

Staff member
Cons: Learning the hard way that using a non-steam controller to play this game is practically impossible without suffering lag.
Uh, wut? The first time I played the game was with an Xbox 360 controller, worked fine. What controller are you using, and what type of lag are you talking about?

Uh, wut? The first time I played the game was with an Xbox 360 controller, worked fine. What controller are you using, and what type of lag are you talking about?
A PS3 controller with Xbox 360 drivers installed, and gameplay lag, where I'll click one button and there will be a significant register delay, especially during the combat segments.

I mean its not that big a deal as the keyboard doesn't lag, but I still wish I could use my controller. So weird, works on almost EVERY other game I got without significant delay.

At the behest of Lord Caleb, I legally acquired a download of Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries.

And now I know I'll have to completely re-arrange the controls to be able to use it effectively. I had a hell of time trying to use their setup.

At the behest of Lord Caleb, I legally acquired a download of Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries.

And now I know I'll have to completely re-arrange the controls to be able to use it effectively. I had a hell of time trying to use their setup.
I know a lot of people prefer the deeper simulation of MW4:M, but I'm still a big fan of Mechwarrior Online. It's not always super balanced and A LOT of mechs need more love (especially the Kintaro and Thunderbolt), but they've got the best dichotomy between Inner Sphere and Clan tech in any game of the series.

- IS mechs are more customizable in regards to weight, Clan can switch Omnipods and occasionally weapon mounts. IS Double Heat sinks take 3 slots, but Clan mechs have less space for them due to mandatory mounted equipment.
- IS have Rotary Cannons, Clan Ultra ACs fire twice in quick succession.
- IS have more flexibility with PPCs, Clan have more Laser options.
- IS missile pods fire all at once, making them hard to stop cold with AMS, but have a 100m minimum range before they do ANY damage. Clan missile pods fire missiles one at a time, making them easier to beat with AMS, but deal partial damage under 100m and they have ATMs.

It makes choosing between IS and Clan mechs much more of a challenge, where as in most MW titles it's ALWAYS preferable to use Clan tech.

I know a lot of people prefer the deeper simulation of MW4:M, but I'm still a big fan of Mechwarrior Online. It's not always super balanced and A LOT of mechs need more love (especially the Kintaro and Thunderbolt), but they've got the best dichotomy between Inner Sphere and Clan tech in any game of the series.

- IS mechs are more customizable in regards to weight, Clan can switch Omnipods and occasionally weapon mounts. IS Double Heat sinks take 3 slots, but Clan mechs have less space for them due to mandatory mounted equipment.
- IS have Rotary Cannons, Clan Ultra ACs fire twice in quick succession.
- IS have more flexibility with PPCs, Clan have more Laser options.
- IS missile pods fire all at once, making them hard to stop cold with AMS, but have a 100m minimum range before they do ANY damage. Clan missile pods fire missiles one at a time, making them easier to beat with AMS, but deal partial damage under 100m and they have ATMs.

It makes choosing between IS and Clan mechs much more of a challenge, where as in most MW titles it's ALWAYS preferable to use Clan tech.
To be fair, the lore makes it clear that Clan Tech is just straight out better, and that the only problems with it are the rarity for non-Clans, making it more expensive.

But that wouldn't work for an Mechwarrior Online game, where you'd need some degree of parity between sides to keep them competitive.

I'm not super big into the simulation aspect; I'm good with a more arcade or abstract style with my Mech games. Front Mission 4 is just about perfect for me, and apparently 5 is even better. I loved Armored Core 3 / AC3 Silent Line, but hated Last Raven (though to be fair, that one wasn't just unfun to play, the entire plot was depressing).

I do love customizing mechs and getting a build right, though.

Artifact very accurately captures a moba much better than I thought it would, aside from the salty teammates, which is really an improvement!

I've not done much but it's very interesting so far.

Artifact very accurately captures a moba much better than I thought it would, aside from the salty teammates, which is really an improvement!

I've not done much but it's very interesting so far.
From what I've seen, that game is way too P2W for my interest.

From what I've seen, that game is way too P2W for my interest.
Possibly, I've not encountered that so far and casual play, particularly casual draft, can be played without any additional cost and that's kinda what I was going in for.
Artifact.png

So, the Starbase chat on Star Trek Online is particularly filled with a lot of homophobic, transphobic, non-whitephobic, etc talk. A ton. I argued with some about some stuff once or twice, but now I normally just ignore it. I saw someone attempt the same the other day and PMed them telling them how futile it felt and how I gave up. Their response was that they do this constantly on there, if for nothing else, but to let any trans or gay kid playing know that they're not alone and not everyone agrees with the few loudmouthed assholes that constantly clog up the chat.

What a boss.

figmentPez

Staff member
Sproggiwood the game I got from @Dave in the anniversary giveaway.

It's a Roguelike (Rogue-lite?) with a cute art style. BUT it's a mobile port. BUT it's not a terrible mobile port, and it plays pretty nicely with a gamepad.

I'm enjoying it, though I'm playing it on easy. It's still not a cake-walk. Some of these enemies are really annoying, but on easy the reliance on good RNG isn't too heavy. I'm not particularly good at being patient and planning strategy in Roguelikes, so I'm not sure if this game just becomes more difficult and requires more strategy on higher difficulty levels, or if it just becomes a grind fest of trying over and over until you get good RNG.

It might deviate too much from Rogue to be a -like and not a -lite, I'm not sure. The dungeons are randomly generated, and you have to restart after you die (or after you complete a dungeon), with your character starting at level 1, but you keep your gold and can buy permanent equipment upgrades. There's not just one dungeon, either. Each dungeon is only 3 or 4 floors, and when you complete one you unlock a new location on the overworld map. The gameplay is turn based, and grid based. There's no need to identify items, though. There also aren't any complicated interactions.

Oh, yeah, there's a city building aspect, but it's not at all fleshed out. It's just a hub to buy upgrades, though you can decorate it as you please (and there's a holiday sidequest to unlock festive yuletide decorations.)

The dungeon crawling is rather on the simple side. There are different classes, but each has a mere 4 skills to level up (most of which have 3 levels, and the 4th ultimate skill has only 2), plus you only have a weapon, armor, accessory, and a single consumable slot for equipment. There's no other inventory beyond those 4 slots. Items you don't want become a pittance of gold.

The random effects can be pretty brutal. Shrines can do anything from healing you, to granting bonus experience, to summoning hordes of hostile monsters, to turning all monsters into loot.... and more. There are scrolls that will randomize your skills, letting you end up with skills from any class, even ones you haven't unlocked yet.

There are at least 6 classes, of which I've unlocked 5, and they do play fairly differently because of their skills, but I was disappointed that their equipment is all the same. A farmer's flaming shovel is the same as a vampire's flaming fang, or a warriors flaming sword, or an archer's flaming bow, etc. And you still have to find each class's version in a dungeon, as that class, in order to unlock it for purchase (if you find an item in a dungeon, you lose it when that dungeon is over, but if you buy it you can start with it as many times as you like.) Same goes for armor. Though accessories seem to be universal for all the classes.

Overall, it's fun. The music is kinda chill. The 2D graphics are pleasant. There's a nice groove to the gameplay.

World of Warships

Yeah, a Russian-based freemium naval combat game, but honestly it's not terrible.

Mostly.

For Halloween this year, they introduced submarines for the first time, and the missions involving them were great.

Now they've introduced a new battle mode based off previous Halloween events. In this case, you play as the "monster warships" - Ghoul-class destroyer, Octopus-class cruiser, Leviathan-class battleship, with spikes and teeth and animated body parts on them. Those ships had been the enemy in this year and previous years' Halloween events.

It sucks. The mode is entirely PVP instead of PVE, the battles are long and punishing and there's an undetectable zone called "The Filth" that neutralizes your specials, saps your health, and slows you down so it takes longer to get out of it. And you don't know you're in it until you're in it.

So, quite a bit of negative feedback on it. So for this month?

6 new missions all based around it. Get x number of wins per each class of ship to get access to a superior one. Get x number of total wins to get other ships. It's grindy bullshit.

Dave

Staff member
I was playing a little PUBG today (silently and not streaming) when it came down to me and one other person. It was intense. The circle was coming in and I saw him finally prone by a rock. I lit into him with an entire clip from my AKM. That's when two things happened. First, I got shot in the head from behind. Second, I realize I'd been shooting at a bush.

I was playing a little PUBG today (silently and not streaming) when it came down to me and one other person. It was intense. The circle was coming in and I saw him finally prone by a rock. I lit into him with an entire clip from my AKM. That's when two things happened. First, I got shot in the head from behind. Second, I realize I'd been shooting at a bush.
So that's how Bush died...

Dave

Staff member
Some of them look like helmets from prone players, too.

I might have an exciting Friday night but I don't want to jinx it. I may get to duo or squad up with a very, VERY good player. He's top 10 in duos & squads. In the world. I'm so hoping it happens because he'll do nothing but make me better.

GasBandit

Staff member
Little Nightmares

I won this at @Dave's Halforums 10th anniversary party stream. It's really good, a macabre and visceral foray into horror done right. No jump scares or shock gore, just creepy revulsion and dread. Plays a lot like Limbo, but with better graphics and depth. The puzzles are of similar complexity. Short, but worth playing for sure.

GasBandit

Staff member
Season's beatings! The annual KF2 twisted christmas has begun, with yet another new map, and the new weapons are going in - the Fire Axe, Tommy Gun, and M32 Grenade Launcher.

GasBandit

Staff member
But is it ... the perfect fire axe?

—Patrick
I don't know, I haven't gotten to try it yet. It'd have to be pretty damn impressive to get me to forego my Road Redeemer :p

Silliness aside, it's been a long time coming. People have been asking for the fire axe forever because it was in KF1, but somehow got left out of KF2.