What are you playing?

Necronic

Staff member
Back playing Dominions 4. This game is really just something special. I would love if some other folks around here started playing so I could get a MP game going, (apparently that's where the game really shines), but its not that accessible and at 35$ I don't know if I would suggest it, yet. I just wish I had the stones to play MP with the other players I've found. They are just wayyyyyyy too good at the game.

Got the Shelby Cobra 427 '67 in GT4. Tuned it fully to 695 HP. Found out that Shelby has an All-Cobra series. The prize for winning? Ford Shelby Mustang GT 350R '65. Oh hell yeah. Got that too. Also finally got a Super Bird in a color I like.

Wolfenstein.... I didn't care for it since it's single player only but my friend allows me to play on his account to play it while he's on vacay for a few weeks... at the 4th mission... it's pretty solid.

Not work 50$ + but when it's under 15 it's a solid buy.

Wolfenstein.... I didn't care for it since it's single player only but my friend allows me to play on his account to play it while he's on vacay for a few weeks... at the 4th mission... it's pretty solid.

Not work 50$ + but when it's under 15 it's a solid buy.
The new Wolfenstein is super solid. It's easily a 30-40 dollar game in my book.

Mega Man X: I am a fucking idiot.

I didn't realize what the sub tanks were. I thought it was just a menu representation of the armor power-ups I'd gotten. I didn't realize they were rechargeable versions of E-tanks from the NES games. Wow. Just, wow.

In any case, I blew threw the last mavericks last night (I really need to look up the backstory for this game; it's not in the Wii U version of the manual), got all the upgrades and heart tanks. I should be ready to take on Sigma if I have four full sub tanks at that point, and I can remember how I got past this floating disc area of the first part of the Sigma stages.

I'm really glad I replayed the game though once I remapped the controls again (X fire, A jump, R dash). I had been struggling through it for the sake of beating it and thought the X series just wasn't for me, but last night I was up playing it until 2 AM for the fun of it. Will probably finish it this weekend and then try to keep myself from buying X2. It would probably make more economic sense to just buy the PS2 or Gamecube collection though.

EDIT: Never mind. Gamecube version is really expensive and the PS2 version doesn't work well on HDTVs. Oh well.

Last edited:

I didn't realize what the sub tanks were. I thought it was just a menu representation of the armor power-ups I'd gotten. I didn't realize they were rechargeable versions of E-tanks from the NES games. Wow. Just, wow.

In any case, I blew threw the last mavericks last night (I really need to look up the backstory for this game; it's not in the Wii U version of the manual), got all the upgrades and heart tanks. I should be ready to take on Sigma if I have four full sub tanks at that point, and I can remember how I got past this floating disc area of the first part of the Sigma stages.

I'm really glad I replayed the game though once I remapped the controls again (X fire, A jump, R dash). I had been struggling through it for the sake of beating it and thought the X series just wasn't for me, but last night I was up playing it until 2 AM for the fun of it. Will probably finish it this weekend and then try to keep myself from buying X2. It would probably make more economic sense to just buy the PS2 or Gamecube collection though.

EDIT: Never mind. Gamecube version is really expensive and the PS2 version doesn't work well on HDTVs. Oh well.
The backstory of Mega Man X... I'm going by memory, so this is totally going to be all kinds of wrong.

It's the far flung future of 20XX (what does that even mean?) when Dr. Cain (I think that's his name?) unearths a capsule that had been sealed away for ages, containing the last, greatest creation of the late Dr. Light, X. A robot that can think and feel and grow and learn. Dr. Cain studies X, and reverse engineers him to replicate the technology, creating the Reploids. At some point Zero is also uncovered, who is the last creation of Dr. Wiley, and.. there's a computer virus that comes with him, I think? But he's cured of it, but it spreads to all the other reploids, and they start going maverick, and so a team of other reploids is put together to become maverick hunters, lead by Sigma, which is a great idea because if you have a computer virus turning reploids evil, you want to send more reploids after them, right? So Sigma turns evil too, and so do all of his animal-themed lieutenants, but X and Zero are immune and have to save the day.

And then right around Mega Man X 5, everything starts to turn to shit and none of this really matters.

The backstory of Mega Man X... I'm going by memory, so this is totally going to be all kinds of wrong.

It's the far flung future of 20XX (what does that even mean?) when Dr. Cain (I think that's his name?) unearths a capsule that had been sealed away for ages, containing the last, greatest creation of the late Dr. Light, X. A robot that can think and feel and grow and learn. Dr. Cain studies X, and reverse engineers him to replicate the technology, creating the Reploids. At some point Zero is also uncovered, who is the last creation of Dr. Wiley, and.. there's a computer virus that comes with him, I think? But he's cured of it, but it spreads to all the other reploids, and they start going maverick, and so a team of other reploids is put together to become maverick hunters, lead by Sigma, which is a great idea because if you have a computer virus turning reploids evil, you want to send more reploids after them, right? So Sigma turns evil too, and so do all of his animal-themed lieutenants, but X and Zero are immune and have to save the day.

And then right around Mega Man X 5, everything starts to turn to shit and none of this really matters.
Thanks, that clarifies things. I wasn't even sure if Sigma was human or a robot.

Basically this, but he spoiled the big plot twist of at least two of the X games.

Also, "Going Maverick" isn't exclusive to virus infected reploids. For instance, Vile just decided on his own that he hated Humans and basically signed on with Sigma just kill them and Maverick Hunters. It's entirely possible for a Reploid to decide on their own they don't want to do what they were built for, but because Reploids have basically no rights, they Maverick Hunters hunt them down anyway.

I have the PS2 collection, it's a little fuzzy on HD but it's really not that bad. No worse than any PS2 game on an HDTV.

Also don't forget you can farm those bugs that spawn in the vertical shaft leading to Sigma's room to fill your tanks. You'll need them.

Basically this, but he spoiled the big plot twist of at least two of the X games.

Also, "Going Maverick" isn't exclusive to virus infected reploids. For instance, Vile just decided on his own that he hated Humans and basically signed on with Sigma just kill them and Maverick Hunters. It's entirely possible for a Reploid to decide on their own they don't want to do what they were built for, but because Reploids have basically no rights, they Maverick Hunters hunt them down anyway.
Oh, damn. I know X goes rogue at some point and you play as Zero, but I know so little from the vantage point of the first game.

I understood Reploids had free will. I don't know; it's a messed up future. I'm not surprised humanity is gone by the time of Legends.[DOUBLEPOST=1408212248,1408212156][/DOUBLEPOST]
I have the PS2 collection, it's a little fuzzy on HD but it's really not that bad. No worse than any PS2 game on an HDTV.
That's bad enough then; any time I've tried to play a PS2 game on there, it's eye-bleed time. Though I read that the disc has an issue with certain TVs. Either way, it's a no-go for me.

Also don't forget you can farm those bugs that spawn in the vertical shaft leading to Sigma's room to fill your tanks. You'll need them.
I can also just use one of the other stages and then bounce back to Sigma, right? Or do I have to start the Sigma stages over?

Oh, damn. I know X goes rogue at some point and you play as Zero, but I know so little from the vantage point of the first game.

I understood Reploids had free will. I don't know; it's a messed up future. I'm not surprised humanity is gone by the time of Legends.
It... doesn't go down like you'd expect. The best I could say about Legends is that both Dr. Light and Dr. Wily win... humans are GONE and what is left gets to live how it wants, but the spirit of peace and justice inspired by Megaman's example also persists. Wiley wins on robot rights but in a way that Dr. Light could have lived with, had he lived to seen it, and in a way that would have driven Dr. Wily absolutely fucking crazy.

Really, the end of Legends 2 would have been a perfect clincher for the series if they hadn't left it on such a fucking cliffhanger.[DOUBLEPOST=1408212622,1408212582][/DOUBLEPOST]
That's bad enough then; any time I've tried to play a PS2 game on there, it's eye-bleed time. Though I read that the disc has an issue with certain TVs. Either way, it's a no-go for me.
Are you using the PS2 HD inputs? It does have them, but you had to buy them seperately.

A year ago Capcom said they'd like to release Legends 1 and 2 on PSN. I don't know what the fuck stops them from all these things they want to do, except to interpret messages like that as "one employee mentions something they would like before being shipped off to Australia by Capcom executives."

Are you using the PS2 HD inputs? It does have them, but you had to buy them seperately.
I'm not, but I read that disc has a component cable issue.

I'm not too worried about it; I'll be able to play through X2 and X3 at the very least. Maybe at some point Capcom will do something hahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa

At the rate they are going, they'll probably have the entire Megaman library on PSN, WiiU, and 3Ds sooner rather than later.
Between them, probably, and I'm sure it's intentional to do it that way instead of a collection. Capcom will make more money selling the games piecemeal, both from people who only want certain games and wouldn't pay for a whole collection, and from those who do want them all and thus will pay more for the games individually than a collection will cost.

If Legends goes on PSN instead of Nintendo slurping things up and releasing it otherwise, I'll have to borrow my wife's PSP. No way she's going to watch me play this stuff on the big screen. You watch each one would be $10.

Nintendo needs to get proper emulation going so GBA games can show up on the 3DS VC. I don't want to have handheld games anchored to home. This should not be difficult technology to achieve.

I feel like I've fallen in love with a dying franchise and that sucks. I could've been playing these games since I was 6 years old when my parents got me an NES for Christmas, and instead all I knew of it was that 90s cartoon that I never even watched. It's just disappointing to have gotten into this now, find that I enjoy it immensely, only to have come in after the fact, when the best thing happening right now is Mega Man appearing in the new Smash Bros, which is still really good and may even lead to a revival, but is not the same as new games, or easier access to all of the many, many older ones.

I understood Reploids had free will. I don't know; it's a messed up future. I'm not surprised humanity is gone by the time of Legends.[DOUBLEPOST=1408212248,1408212156][/DOUBLEPOST]

I can also just use one of the other stages and then bounce back to Sigma, right? Or do I have to start the Sigma stages over?
I can't remember if you can, honestly, but the final stage is literally one vertical shaft with a few bug-spawning spots, then Sigma's room. It's by far the easiest and least-dangerous place to farm health.[DOUBLEPOST=1408216023][/DOUBLEPOST]
I feel like I've fallen in love with a dying franchise and that sucks. I could've been playing these games since I was 6 years old when my parents got me an NES for Christmas, and instead all I knew of it was that 90s cartoon that I never even watched. It's just disappointing to have gotten into this now, find that I enjoy it immensely, only to have come in after the fact, when the best thing happening right now is Mega Man appearing in the new Smash Bros, which is still really good and may even lead to a revival, but is not the same as new games, or easier access to all of the many, many older ones.
It kills me that two of my favorite franchises (MM and Final Fantasy) are either dead or dead in the water. If it weren't for Tales games and Nintendo's first-party stuff I probably wouldn't have a reason to play consoles at all anymore.

I can't remember if you can, honestly, but the final stage is literally one vertical shaft with a few bug-spawning spots, then Sigma's room. It's by far the easiest and least-dangerous place to farm health.
This. Just charge up your Rolling Shield and jump into the enemies with it. It'll kill them in one hit, persist, and net you tons of energy. Just make sure it gets topped off before you actually go in to fight Sigma, as you'll need it.

Finally finished the main story line in Borderlands 2! We're still working on Tina's DLC <3 and then we need to play through the rest of the DLC as well.
I've been playing the Gunzerker and it's alright. I definitely miss Brick!!

Mega Man 5: Fuck the Crystal Man stage.

I mean, I eventually got it, but still, fuck it. So glad I beat Crystal Man only losing one life; I did not want to go through that damn stage yet again.

Last edited:
Also looked into the Mega Man Zero games since I can get the DS collection for $14 from Gamestop with a coupon. Some of these features sound nightmarish. Not sure if want.

Also looked into the Mega Man Zero games since I can get the DS collection for $14 from Gamestop with a coupon. Some of these features sound nightmarish. Not sure if want.
Let me put it this way... Mega Man Zero is to X what X is to the classic games. Basically it's a more hardcore, unforgiving version of X. I'm not sure where ZX stands in comparison though.

Let me put it this way... Mega Man Zero is to X what X is to the classic games. Basically it's a more hardcore, unforgiving version of X. I'm not sure where ZX stands in comparison though.
There's supposedly an easy mode, but I don't want to feel like a chump :p.

That said, considering your ranking it, I have come to like X more than I did, though. I suppose I could always return it if I find it too frustrating. Although I will say that once I figured out what I was doing, X1 became a little easier than the original games, but that might only be because I was technically playing through it a second time aside from the final boss. For all I know, when I replay MM2, 3, and so on, I'll find them easier than I did before.

I always found the X games to be easier to play than the original mega man games, simply because they were faster paced and allowed you to jump dash and wall jump.

There's supposedly an easy mode, but I don't want to feel like a chump :p.

That said, considering your ranking it, I have come to like X more than I did, though. I suppose I could always return it if I find it too frustrating. Although I will say that once I figured out what I was doing, X1 became a little easier than the original games, but that might only be because I was technically playing through it a second time aside from the final boss. For all I know, when I replay MM2, 3, and so on, I'll find them easier than I did before.
Mega Man X IS a bit easier than MM1-3, but that's mostly because they had refined the mechanics of the original series well by that point and they really only introduced 3 new mechanics into X (Dashing, Wall Jumping, and charging your special weapons). It's not until X2 that things get hard as they expect you to know how to do things like Air Dash and Dash Wall Jump.

I always found the X games to be easier to play than the original mega man games, simply because they were faster paced and allowed you to jump dash and wall jump.
Yeah this. Also, it blew my Goddamn mind in X5 when I pushed down on the dpad and he fucking ducked.[DOUBLEPOST=1408298452,1408298399][/DOUBLEPOST]
Also this. Zero's GBA games are brutally hard compared to the MM entries. I still haven't beaten any of them.

fade

Staff member
I beat the original half-life and moved on to half-life 2. I never played them before, but I bought valve complete in the summer sale. The second game is about half as hard as the first, but that seems par for the course with video games. In 5 years, I think they'll play themselves.

In any case, do they ever, you know, tell you what's going on in 2? I woke up, met up with some familiar faces, did some cool stuff on an airboat, and I still know nothing. I can assume of course that Breen used the extradimensional beings to take over the world or vice versa. But now Vortigaunts seem to be good and capable of speech? I hope there's an in-game exposition at some point.

figmentPez

Staff member
In any case, do they ever, you know, tell you what's going on in 2? I woke up, met up with some familiar faces, did some cool stuff on an airboat, and I still know nothing. I can assume of course that Breen used the extradimensional beings to take over the world or vice versa. But now Vortigaunts seem to be good and capable of speech? I hope there's an in-game exposition at some point.
I can't remember how well it's spelled out in game. Here are the spoilers:

The events of the first game are how the world was taken over. The "accident" at Black Mesa wasn't an accident at all, and started the invasion by the Combine. Vortigaunts were part of the invasion because they were under mind control by the giant thing you killed at the end of the first game. When you killed that, you freed them and they now work with the resistance.

Friend of mine got me into Robocraft on Steam. It is excellent. Free to play, and a lot of fun. It's such a simple concept it's shocking it didn't already exist. You build a robot vehicle using different cubes and prisms, similar, I imagine, to how mine craft works. Then you enter a capture the flag style team battle. Earn xp, repair and improve your craft and repeat.the battles each only take a few minutes, and modding your vehicle is a simple process, so the game is really well paced.

GasBandit

Staff member
Friend of mine got me into Robocraft on Steam. It is excellent. Free to play, and a lot of fun. It's such a simple concept it's shocking it didn't already exist. You build a robot vehicle using different cubes and prisms, similar, I imagine, to how mine craft works. Then you enter a capture the flag style team battle. Earn xp, repair and improve your craft and repeat.the battles each only take a few minutes, and modding your vehicle is a simple process, so the game is really well paced.
It's bullshit.

Sometimes you get to BE the bullshit, though.

Also this. Zero's GBA games are brutally hard compared to the MM entries. I still haven't beaten any of them.
Any? I thought it was just the first that sounded bad with only three continues and true game over.

On the one hand, I'm tempted by the challenge, on other hand, I already find the MM games challenging. Hmmmm ...

Any? I thought it was just the first that sounded bad with only three continues and true game over.

On the one hand, I'm tempted by the challenge, on other hand, I already find the MM games challenging. Hmmmm ...
I've only played the first and (I think) third, so I can't comment on all of them, just the ones I have. Still though, hard as hell.

I've only played the first and (I think) third, so I can't comment on all of them, just the ones I have. Still though, hard as hell.
I guess I won't know until I try. I can return it in a week if I don't think it's for me, so I might as well give it a shot. I need to go to Gamestop and switch a pre-order anyway.

(Flack incoming ...)