What are you playing?

I remember in GT2, you could take the Suzuki Escudo into the high speed ring and just tape the accelerator down and it was so fast that you could win an endurance race without even playing it.

Yeah, turns out there was a really, really, really, REALLY simple solution. Do the El Capitan 200 miles Endurance Race (66 laps), easily done with the BMW M5 '05. Win the MINOLTA Toyota 88C-V Race Car '89. Install a Stage 4 Turbo and buy Hard Racing (R2) tires, use B-Spec, set to 3 (steady) and Overtake. I won the Super Speedway 150 by 4 laps.

I've got 30 days in game before the secret BLACK cars come available. I've got 1.6M in the bank, to get all 4 you need at least 9 million. Gonna have to do some 24H races...

I picked up the Mega Man Zero Collection and started the first one as its normal port.

Oh ho ho ho, oh this game thinks it's funny with its limited continues and bosses that ceiling-slam you into spikes. I'm up for the challenge, but I can tell just from the first couple missions that this one isn't going to play nice.

I picked up the Mega Man Zero Collection and started the first one as its normal port.

Oh ho ho ho, oh this game thinks it's funny with its limited continues and bosses that ceiling-slam you into spikes. I'm up for the challenge, but I can tell just from the first couple missions that this one isn't going to play nice.
Yeah, they're going to do terrible things to you. Keep soft things nearby if you need to throw systems/controllers.

Yeah, they're going to do terrible things to you. Keep soft things nearby if you need to throw systems/controllers.
I have thumped my 3DS onto the table several times tonight. Its cloth case is now under it.

Yeah, you were right. This game gets pretty rough. I kind of like it because the levels in Mega Man X felt like they didn't really matter, but this one has a lot of pitfalls and spikes and bullshit. On the other hand, the limited continues means I just keep loading up my save. I have 8 right now, but I'm paranoid about using them.

Finished the new Wolfenstein this morning. It's pretty solid. About 15 hours of gameplay. Worth a solid $20, not more.

Would have been far more if some MP was included.

Multiplayer you'd probably never play?

I don't get that mentality. So many games have shitty multiplayer tacked on that people stop playing weeks, if not days after release.

GasBandit

Staff member
Multiplayer you'd probably never play?

I don't get that mentality. So many games have shitty multiplayer tacked on that people stop playing weeks, if not days after release.
On the other hand, some games, like Borderlands or Space Engineers or Minecraft, wouldn't be worth playing without multiplayer. And for a lot of the console FPSes, multiplayer is the selling point, and the single player campaigns are what are shitty and "tacked on."

On the other hand, some games, like Borderlands or Space Engineers or Minecraft, wouldn't be worth playing without multiplayer. And for a lot of the console FPSes, multiplayer is the selling point, and the single player campaigns are what are shitty and "tacked on."
Well yeah, exactly. I don't buy Bioshock for it's multiplayer just like I wouldn't buy Space Engineers for it's single player.

I don't get the whole, this single player game doesn't have multiplayer, not worth money thing.

I still play RTCW MP.
Did you try Enemy Territory: Quake Wars? It was what they made immediately after Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and is pretty similar. Unreal 2 XMP has hints of it as well, though I feel it's more of a precursor to TF2.

Dirty Bomb is their next game and it's likely to be more of the same.

And now we're at the "Fuck You" stage of Gran Turismo 4. "Oh, you want to unlock some of the fucking best cars in the game? The ones you basically need for certain events? Then you need to win some Endurance Races. Yup, literally 3 different 24 hour events, as well as 4 hour, 8 hour, 9 hour, and 100+ lap events!" Sidenote: The Super Speedway 150 mile is kicking my ass because my B-Spec Bob (No, I don't want to go around in the same circle for the next 5 hours, thanks) keeps slipping up the track into the wall. Can't figure out how to set my car to stop that.
You can't vary tire pressure, can you? Seems that'd be easiest for the round-and-round races.

--Patrick

You can't vary tire pressure, can you? Seems that'd be easiest for the round-and-round races.

--Patrick
No, but I got past that. I won a much better car within hours posting that. The Toyota Minolta 88C-V racer fucking owns. I won that race I kept placing last in, and 2nd place was 5 laps down.

GasBandit

Staff member
I got it in my head to make a Tutorial for Gnomoria (Tutorials seem to be my thing these days on my youtube channel)... but it kinda turned into more of a "let's play," and here I am trying to whittle down two hours of game footage. I don't know how aggressively I should edit it - I'm already fast-forwarding/using jump cuts on the dead parts but I'll be surprised if I get it down under 90 minutes... and at that point should I even bother uploading it? Nobody's going to watch me play Gnomoria for 90 minutes, even with all the waiting edited out. Should I throw it up there anyway and see what happens? Cut it up into smaller pieces? Edit it even more fiercely? Scrap it and start over, only recording important "things you need to know" parts? Or just give up on the whole thing and move on to some other project?

GasBandit

Staff member
You'd be surprised what people will watch on youtube.
Man, on average, people could only sit through 90 seconds of the video of the memorial I made in minecraft, and it was only 2:38 long.

On the other hand, there does seem to be a number of people wanting to watch the 45 minute long space engineers tutorials I make.

Well, the thing is, Minecraft is extremely popular so there's a ton of videos on almost everything in it, and a memorial that means a lot to you might not have the same effect on an audience. On the other hand, people watch 45+ minutes of Acheivement Hunter playing Minecraft every week... because those guys are fucking hilarious. Shit, tonight I'm looking forwarding to another installment of their "Let's Play GTA 5 Monday" series.

On the third, horrific mutant hand, watching someone explain how to do things in a complicated game? That's absolutely worth watching. There's a lot of "I kind of know what I'm doing, but I know I'm missing something important because of how things occasionally go terrifyingly wrong", especially games like Space Engineers or Dwarf Fortress or Gnomoria.

GasBandit

Staff member
Alright, I think I've trimmed it down as much as I can, and as I feared, it's just shy of 97 minutes. Guess I'll let it process overnight, then start it uploading when I go to work tomorrow, and we'll see how many subscribers I suddenly lose.

GasBandit

Staff member
Re: Gnomoria video - Hah, turns out, even though I recorded the footage at 720p (because it's pixel art, it doesn't need 1080p) I had gone through my automatic motions in processing and upsampled it to 1080 in post production, meaning I saved exactly no upload bandwidth and made it have a fuzzy 1080 setting. Oh well. The sucker is up finally at least, so whatever.

Mega Man 5: Did the creators realize you could just farm E-tanks at the beginning of the first Wily stage? Get one, die on spikes until game over, get one, die some more, rinse, repeat. I'm gonna have 9 E-tanks because I killed myself 27 times.

Re: Gnomoria video - Hah, turns out, even though I recorded the footage at 720p (because it's pixel art, it doesn't need 1080p) I had gone through my automatic motions in processing and upsampled it to 1080 in post production, meaning I saved exactly no upload bandwidth and made it have a fuzzy 1080 setting. Oh well. The sucker is up finally at least, so whatever.
Your voice is not as deep as I imagined your voice would be.

Nor is it as Ewok-like.

I'm at 53 minutes. Really informative, but DEAR GOD.

Also, I didn't know you were a Power Ranger.

Last edited: