What are you playing?

What the fucking schizophrenic bullshit, Shin Megami Tensei IV?

One of the ways to secure neutral alignment for the final parts of the game is to avoid any unnecessary side quests throughout the game that might shift your alignment too far into chaos or law. Okay, done.

But then, when you get into that alignment, the story requires that you do most of the side quests to proceed ... What. The. Fuck. Having to go back to areas I haven't visited since the start and pick through lowbie quests ... it's just tedious. Goddammit, game. Seriously.

Necronic

Staff member
Dark Souls 2 comes out in 4 days for PC. Make sure to start DS-proofing your gaming area (remove breakable objects) and get a tether for your gamepad so you can't throw it that far.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Blackwell Epiphany

Wow. Just...just wow. I've been a fan of this series for awhile, but I can honestly say it's now my favourite adventure game series. This was the grand finale for the series and it just blew me away. Everything ties up in the end and there were MANY jaw-dropping moments. One or two I expected, but many I didn't. It was absolutely unbelievable how everything came together in the end.

So yeah, anyone who has ever enjoyed an adventure game should play this series. I can comfortably and confidently say that now, having played this fantastic finale.

Shin Megami Tensei IV - Today's Pros and Cons!

Pro: Finished the Neutral ending. Was a satisfying ending. Funny enough, my wife also beat the game today, getting the Law ending.

Cons: FUCK THIS FUCKING DLC. I like a challenge. I really do. But having bosses that can remove my demons from the rest of the battle? A boss that's resistant to Almighty damage and drains every other kind, that I have to beat in 10 turns?

You know what? I'm sure if I dedicated the time, I could do it. Maybe. I'm not going to, because it's bullshit. I'm just glad I got those DLC at half-price, because all of those bosses can go fuck themselves.

Dark Souls 2 comes out in 4 days for PC. Make sure to start DS-proofing your gaming area (remove breakable objects) and get a tether for your gamepad so you can't throw it that far.
And here I'm just picking up the first one ...

That was me. For some reason, it posted anonymously on me.
Stop taking credit for other people's posts, Shia Laboef.

Shin Megami Tensei IV - Today's Pros and Cons!

Pro: Finished the Neutral ending. Was a satisfying ending. Funny enough, my wife also beat the game today, getting the Law ending.

Cons: FUCK THIS FUCKING DLC. I like a challenge. I really do. But having bosses that can remove my demons from the rest of the battle? A boss that's resistant to Almighty damage and drains every other kind, that I have to beat in 10 turns?

You know what? I'm sure if I dedicated the time, I could do it. Maybe. I'm not going to, because it's bullshit. I'm just glad I got those DLC at half-price, because all of those bosses can go fuck themselves.
It's funny, this was pretty much my reaction to the bonus Hunts in FF12. The game itself ended up being much more fun than I expected, and I loved going through the sidequests and Guild Hunts.

Up until the last handful of Montblanc's Special Hunts, where everything just sort of bends you over and goes in dry, or isn't especially difficult but has so much HP you have to sit there for hours to finish them. At that point I just called it done.

If you got it for PC, make sure you have a PC controller. It's almost completely unplayable without one. I'm told Dark Souls 2 is better about this but it's still much better with a controller.
PS3.

*awaits Jay*

It's funny, this was pretty much my reaction to the bonus Hunts in FF12. The game itself ended up being much more fun than I expected, and I loved going through the sidequests and Guild Hunts.

Up until the last handful of Montblanc's Special Hunts, where everything just sort of bends you over and goes in dry, or isn't especially difficult but has so much HP you have to sit there for hours to finish them. At that point I just called it done.
There's a point in extra content where you just have to accept not doing it. Didn't do the Fiends in SMTIV either, but they only have a 1/255 chance of appearing in their areas anyway and I'm not wasting hours going back and forth between two maps to make that happen.

The tutorial boss is pretty much your tutorial about death and how it works in the game.
It's also more friendly than the tutorial bosses in Demon's Souls.

When you approach the second boss in Demon's Souls, it literally punches you with a giant fist and kills you instantly.

The tutorial boss is pretty much your tutorial about death and how it works in the game.
A lesson well-learned: get to the fucking bonfire.

I'm glad at the last minute I switched my class to pyromancer. Not that that has anything to do with bonfires, but it helps when lighting a fireball up a monster's ass.

Star Wars: The Old Republic - There is no better single player MMO. This game is just fantastic and exactly what I'm looking for in a time sink.
Hearthstone - My casual game of choice, even though I don't play it with a casual state of mind. GOTTA GET LEGEND!
Titanfall - Never been a military shooter kind of guy.... thankfully this has Jaegers and parkour!

I understand that Shin Megami Tensei games are not a frequent occurrence ... but I just don't like Soul Hackers. I bought it a few months ago, played a little, returned it ... Now I've purchased it again, played it for most of the afternoon ... I still don't like it, and I'm going to be returning it again. Just gonna have to hope that Atlus gets Devil Survivor 2: Break Record out eventually, or maybe a re-release for Nocturne.

... or just accept that this is Persona's year.

Know what's a fucking adorable game? Attack of the Friday Monsters. I only play it for 10-15 minutes at a time and most of it just involves walking back and forth and talking to people, but it's charming and has a sweet atmosphere. Worth the $3 I paid for it when it was on sale.

I understand that Shin Megami Tensei games are not a frequent occurrence ... but I just don't like Soul Hackers. I bought it a few months ago, played a little, returned it ... Now I've purchased it again, played it for most of the afternoon ... I still don't like it, and I'm going to be returning it again. Just gonna have to hope that Atlus gets Devil Survivor 2: Break Record out eventually, or maybe a re-release for Nocturne.

... or just accept that this is Persona's year.

Know what's a fucking adorable game? Attack of the Friday Monsters. I only play it for 10-15 minutes at a time and most of it just involves walking back and forth and talking to people, but it's charming and has a sweet atmosphere. Worth the $3 I paid for it when it was on sale.
The problem with Soul Hackers is that it's a remade Shin Megami Tensei game from the 90's and has all the problems that entails. It forces you to grind heavily, the difficulty is uneven, and some stats are just completely unimportant for some characters. Nissa is a mage, you are a physical fighter, and you both need to have TONS of defense/magic defense and speed or the game becomes unbearably difficult. But the game never tells you this... it just assumes you know the deal from the earlier games in the series.

I'm about... halfway through Soul Hackers and I just don't care anymore. It's basically pride keeping me going at this point.

The problem with Soul Hackers is that it's a remade Shin Megami Tensei game from the 90's and has all the problems that entails. It forces you to grind heavily, the difficulty is uneven, and some stats are just completely unimportant for some characters. Nissa is a mage, you are a physical fighter, and you both need to have TONS of defense/magic defense and speed or the game becomes unbearably difficult. But the game never tells you this... it just assumes you know the deal from the earlier games in the series.

I'm about... halfway through Soul Hackers and I just don't care anymore. It's basically pride keeping me going at this point.
By pure luck did I give the MC strength and Nissa magic. Probably the only thing that got me through the first boss, because my early demons were garbage. I don't mind the difficulty and I have to grind in Devil Survivor, which is one of my favorite 3DS titles. I don't care for presentation, the silliness, or how you move through the world. Nothing feels intuitive--I'm not surprised that Final Fantasy was the big dog back when this game was around. Those were the days of Squaresoft, after all. Funny, when I went online looking for the answer to something, the only walkthroughs I found were for the Saturn version. This game came out for 3DS in April 2013 and it feels, well, exactly like you said for yourself at this point--nobody cared.

... yeah, I'm returning this again. Know what's even worse? I'm pretty sure this is the same pre-owned cartridge I returned to Gamestop in September last year, only it was twice as expensive then.

There's one good thing to this second attempt though. I set up the Streetpass on both mine and my wife's 3DS's, so we can each get an extra 40 App points in Shin Megami Tensei IV. So that's something.

Too bad it hates its players.
It hates it's F2P players, loves it's subscribers. Seriously the perks of being a subscriber in TOR outweigh any subscriber mode MMO out there. I don't mean just the unlocks that are cosmetic etc.

I will agree that the F2P restrictions are also the worst of any MMO but $15 a month doesn't bother me for the amount I get in return.

It hates it's F2P players, loves it's subscribers. Seriously the perks of being a subscriber in TOR outweigh any subscriber mode MMO out there. I don't mean just the unlocks that are cosmetic etc.

I will agree that the F2P restrictions are also the worst of any MMO but $15 a month doesn't bother me for the amount I get in return.
Hey, if you're happy with the payment model, more power to you. I dropped over $100 on the game as both a founder and on the collector's edition, and it won't even let me use any of the extras I got from that without also paying the subscription fee. And to me, it wasn't worth it, and fostered what felt like a hostile play experience between free and paying users. I didn't want any part of it.[DOUBLEPOST=1398571069,1398571008][/DOUBLEPOST]And what's probably ironic is that I've dropped WAY more money on games that have -good- free 2 play markets where I didn't have to, just because I loved the game and environment that much.

Yeah... I've easily dropped 60-70 bucks on The Secret World, on top of the $30 box price. I'm probably going to pony up $200 later this summer for the Grandmaster Account because I just want EVERYTHING.

If you're willing to pay for TOR then yeah, it's still a pretty decent MMO. I just think it's shitty to go F2P then nickel and dime the shit out of people for things like wearing epics and using hotbars. Might as well not even be F2P.

If you're willing to pay for TOR then yeah, it's still a pretty decent MMO. I just think it's shitty to go F2P then nickel and dime the shit out of people for things like wearing epics and using hotbars. Might as well not even be F2P.
Correct and correct. Well except for the part where you can buy all the unlocks with ingame money, but yeah, correct.

figmentPez

Staff member
LEGO Marvel Superheroes
Still the epitome of "more fun than it is good". The controls are still slightly wonky, but never enough to ruin the fun. There are lots of things that could use more polish, lots of things that could be exploited to make better gameplay. But in the end, the humor is great, the gameplay works, and it's a whole lot of fun to play around as LEGO versions of Marvel characters.

I think Lego Batman 2 is still my favorite of those I've played, but this is still pretty awesome.

I cancelled my Conception II demo a couple months ago, and now that I'm taking time to play the demo, I think I dodged a bullet.

The battle system isn't all the great, but really the game just has an uncomfortable "pandering to the pillow wife audience" feel to it. I don't just mean the innuendo--I mean the way the girls are like "sorry for bothering you" or "you're so much greater than me" or "my feelings don't matter." It's just creepy and I could probably ignore that if the gameplay was something special, but it's not, so I can't.

But I really would like a new RPG to play on my commute and with Soul Hackers and Conception II not panning out ... maybe I'll join the cool kids and get Bravely Default.

Bravely Default is a lot of fun if you love job system-based JRPGs. The story is pretty by-the-numbers, but the characters are surprisingly endearing.

I've been making my way through the Assassin's Creed games. I'm almost done with Brotherhood, which I'm LOVING. I've been led to understand that Revelations is the weakest of the Enzio games. Confirmations?

I've been making my way through the Assassin's Creed games. I'm almost done with Brotherhood, which I'm LOVING. I've been led to understand that Revelations is the weakest of the Enzio games. Confirmations?
I stopped after Brotherhood. Not because Revelations was bad but I was pretty much tired of these games. There just isn't anything new from game to game. I'll probably go back and finish them up at some point but I needed a break.

I had played the first one when it first came out and most of the second one quite a while ago, so I was just starting on this go round with the last quarter of AC2, so things were new enough for me to not get bored with them.

Honestly, the only reason I picked it back up was because I found my old save file for AC2. I had changed hard drives a while back and lost the file, and didn't feel like starting over from the beginning.