What are you playing?

I liked KoA at first, but then it gets way too same-y for my tastes. I felt restricted to fast weapons as enemies got faster and more charge-prone, and your character is move-cancelled far too easily compared to enemies.
That's unfortunate to hear because I'm going for Greatswords....

That's what I tried to use, after feeling like I had to give up on Hammers. The issue stems from groups you run into as you move to new areas, especially fast/ranged enemies. I ended up doing most of my damage with Faeblades/Daggers, and then swapping to a Greatsword after most of the group was dead. The other major combat issue is some unlocked moves are just fucking worthless, but you have no choice but to use them once opened (attacking out of a dodge/shield block with a Greatsword is slow and useless). Bows are okay, but ridiculously weak and slow thanks to limited arrows that have to regen. Basically the only things that felt viable to me were Daggers, Faeblades and Longsword (Chakrams are alright, but leave you pretty vulnerable).

There have been some reprehensible, tiresome children (and man-children) on my TF2 servers lately.

Yes, we know you want us to "get rekt" whatever that means. We heard you the first 17 times. You don't have to retype it every time you happen to get a kill.
Sigh... I have an irl friend that does did like that.. He's like 33

That's unfortunate to hear because I'm going for Greatswords....
I ran through using Greatswords and it was the most fun I had playing. I tried to do other weapons later, but kept gravitating back towards the heavier weapons. Fits my playstyle for those types of games, I like to be the heavy hitter.

I'm a fair clip into Kingdoms of Amalur. I do like it, however, I wouldn't consider it the best game ever made or anything. I just finished the Teeth of Naros DLC and it's quite substantial. So far it's been my favorite part of the game. It has a whole Greek Mt. Olympus feel to it, and I like the history that they built up for the Kollossae. I'd like to see that type of race in more fantasy genres. They're basically evolved mountain giants.

I haven't found the crafting all that rewarding, so I've largely ignored it except for alchemy. Of course, I could have ignored that as well, because gold seems to be no problem after finishing the Teeth of Naros.

I went full on mage and I don't feel squishy at all, but at the level I'm at, I can pretty much rain destruction from on high. Even my evade move now has a freezing component so that if I dodge, it slows my enemy and lets me get some distance. I do have to say that I kind of wish that I hadn't got the weapon pack DLC. It made the first portion of the game practically trivial with my increased mana pool. I am, however, getting to the point where I'm actually starting to get better drops than the DLC stuff.

The overall storyline is kind of interesting. I like the storyline of the Fae, who are stuck in a perpetual cycle of reliving the same destiny over and over again.

I'd give it probably a seven out of ten, so not bad.

My BIGGEST annoyance, though, is the lack of an autosave feature. I'm so used to having autosave that sometimes I forget that I have to be constantly saving. I had beat the boss of Teeth of Naros and ended up having to do it all over again because I ran into a minor boss in a cave I wasn't expecting and got trounced. Ended up having to do the entire big boss fight again.

Also, building up your Detect Hidden skill is a good idea as early as possible. There are hidden doors and caches all over the world that you'll never see if you don't invest in that skill. Plus monsters drop more gold.

Finished Sleeping Dogs recently. I actually enjoyed the hell out of this game, even if the story was predictable. The focus on melee was refreshing for an open world game, you had plenty to do, and giving the outfits actual uses was pretty fun. My only real complaints?

- Dating never goes anywhere. It's usually 1-2 missions and then you never hear from them again.
- It's hard to find a gun when you need one. You can't do some of the drug busts without one and the only way to get them is from a lockbox (which is one time only), after a mission, or by taking one from the people shooting you.
- Hong Kong feels small. I can get from one end of the map to the other in 3-4 minutes.
- DLC is too expensive for what boils down to another hour of play for each mission pack.
- The ending is rushed. It feels like they wanted to leave some stuff for a sequel... but knowing Square Enix, this excellent game probably "underperformed" and won't get another title... which is a shame because I enjoyed this WAY more than GTA5 or SR4.

Finished Sleeping Dogs recently. I actually enjoyed the hell out of this game, even if the story was predictable. The focus on melee was refreshing for an open world game, you had plenty to do, and giving the outfits actual uses was pretty fun. My only real complaints?

- Dating never goes anywhere. It's usually 1-2 missions and then you never hear from them again.
- It's hard to find a gun when you need one. You can't do some of the drug busts without one and the only way to get them is from a lockbox (which is one time only), after a mission, or by taking one from the people shooting you.
- Hong Kong feels small. I can get from one end of the map to the other in 3-4 minutes.
- DLC is too expensive for what boils down to another hour of play for each mission pack.
- The ending is rushed. It feels like they wanted to leave some stuff for a sequel... but knowing Square Enix, this excellent game probably "underperformed" and won't get another title... which is a shame because I enjoyed this WAY more than GTA5 or SR4.

Sleeping Dogs was super fun, and a great play for anyone that likes hong kong martial arts cop movies. There's actually a reason that some parts of the game (dating, the end, etc) feel like they weren't completed, and that's because this game was in development hell forever, and nearly never even got a release, until Squenix picked it up at the very last second. It started as a reboot of the True Crime game series (True Crime: Hong Kong) but got canceled by Activision. It is getting a sequel though, Sleeping Dogs 2: Triad Wars is still currently in production.

Also, to anyone that gets this game on steam, make sure to download the free High Resolution Texture Pack provided straight from the developers as free DLC. It makes the game look so much better than the console version.

Sleeping Dogs was super fun, and a great play for anyone that likes hong kong martial arts cop movies. There's actually a reason that some parts of the game (dating, the end, etc) feel like they weren't completed, and that's because this game was in development hell forever, and nearly never even got a release, until Squenix picked it up at the very last second. It started as a reboot of the True Crime game series (True Crime: Hong Kong) but got canceled by Activision. It is getting a sequel though, Sleeping Dogs 2: Triad Wars is still currently in production.

Also, to anyone that gets this game on steam, make sure to download the free High Resolution Texture Pack provided straight from the developers as free DLC. It makes the game look so much better than the console version.
Well that's good to hear... this is probably the best game I've played from Square Enix since Deus Ex... though I find it completely depressing that the only division doing worthwhile games anymore is the former Eidos group.

I'm almost have my 3rd sage in Link Between Worlds! This game is loads of fun! So far I've completed the Thieves Hideout and the Dark Palace, and I'm close to finishing the Ice Ruins.

Dave

Staff member
I'm a fair clip into Kingdoms of Amalur. I do like it, however, I wouldn't consider it the best game ever made or anything. I just finished the Teeth of Naros DLC and it's quite substantial. So far it's been my favorite part of the game. It has a whole Greek Mt. Olympus feel to it, and I like the history that they built up for the Kollossae. I'd like to see that type of race in more fantasy genres. They're basically evolved mountain giants.

I haven't found the crafting all that rewarding, so I've largely ignored it except for alchemy. Of course, I could have ignored that as well, because gold seems to be no problem after finishing the Teeth of Naros.

I went full on mage and I don't feel squishy at all, but at the level I'm at, I can pretty much rain destruction from on high. Even my evade move now has a freezing component so that if I dodge, it slows my enemy and lets me get some distance. I do have to say that I kind of wish that I hadn't got the weapon pack DLC. It made the first portion of the game practically trivial with my increased mana pool. I am, however, getting to the point where I'm actually starting to get better drops than the DLC stuff.

The overall storyline is kind of interesting. I like the storyline of the Fae, who are stuck in a perpetual cycle of reliving the same destiny over and over again.

I'd give it probably a seven out of ten, so not bad.

My BIGGEST annoyance, though, is the lack of an autosave feature. I'm so used to having autosave that sometimes I forget that I have to be constantly saving. I had beat the boss of Teeth of Naros and ended up having to do it all over again because I ran into a minor boss in a cave I wasn't expecting and got trounced. Ended up having to do the entire big boss fight again.

Also, building up your Detect Hidden skill is a good idea as early as possible. There are hidden doors and caches all over the world that you'll never see if you don't invest in that skill. Plus monsters drop more gold.
Well then. Looks like I'll give this one a try.

Necronic

Staff member
Thats a pretty accurate desciption, although the combat isn't nearly as good as that.

It's sort of like Single Player WoW meets Fable combat.

It's ok.

ed: I'm also playing Loadout as well. Pretty damned fun

So is it.. basically... single player WoW meets God of War?
The Greek influence is ONLY in the DLC I mentioned. The rest is more traditionally fantasy themed.

Necronic's description is more apt, however, I think the combat in KoA:R is much better than the combat in the Fable series.

Also, a quote from the Giant Bomb review of the game is extremely apt. The gist is, you don't want to be a completionist and run after every single sidequest. I started out that way and there are SO MANY sidequests that if you do that, you'll be overleveled for content later on. It took me a while of ignoring the sidequests for the power creep to catch up with me. They also become extremely grindy if you do every single one.

If you guys want to party up in Loadout, I'd be down. PUGs for the control point game suck because people treat it like deathmatch and completely ignore getting to the control points.

I've played multiple matches on the collection maps and usually end up being the collector the entire game.

If you guys want to party up in Loadout, I'd be down. PUGs for the control point game suck because people treat it like deathmatch and completely ignore getting to the control points.

I've played multiple matches on the collection maps and usually end up being the collector the entire game.
I'm down for that, downloading the game right now. I'll even buy @Jay a copy!

Just picked up the weekly humble bundle, and am giving Brutal Legend a play through. I like Jack Black, so I imagine the game will be a hoot ;)

Just picked up the weekly humble bundle, and am giving Brutal Legend a play through. I like Jack Black, so I imagine the game will be a hoot ;)
Just know it's not an adventure hack/slash as it was advertised, most of the action comes from 3rd person RTS type battles. They're fun, and the game's great, but it isn't the game they advertised.

Just know it's not an adventure hack/slash as it was advertised, most of the action comes from 3rd person RTS type battles. They're fun, and the game's great, but it isn't the game they advertised.
I don't know anything about how it was advertised..I got the bundle because it let me get Spacebase DF-9 so much cheaper than it has been priced at recently. The other games looked fun too, but I don't really know anything about them. So, I'm going into it with no expectations.

I don't know anything about how it was advertised..I got the bundle because it let me get Spacebase DF-9 so much cheaper than it has been priced at recently. The other games looked fun too, but I don't really know anything about them. So, I'm going into it with no expectations.
That's good! It's a great game, and the soundtrack is boss. If you're a metal fan there's a TON of references/guest voices that'll be fun to hear, too.

What?

Also, does anyone have a key for the ESO beta this weekend? I'll give it a try again.
I do, but unfortunately I have to work all day Saturday and then I'm busy Sunday, so it won't be happening. Never got the chance to get in the last beta either. Stupid work.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Think I can temporarily use your account to login and test it out? To be frank I forgot my credo from the first test and I can't get a reset since binding remember what input in first and last name.

Lol

I just want to test this game

Think I can temporarily use your account to login and test it out? To be frank I forgot my credo from the first test and I can't get a reset since binding remember what input in first and last name.

Lol

I just want to test this game
Gotcha.
I'm not even sure what mine is. If I get a chance to figure it out at work today, I'll send you a PM.
Otherwise I can hope that some customer brings their gaming rig into work and leaves it over the weekend....

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

So, I have it on good authority that next week I will be choosing between Bioshock Infinite and Borderlands 2 as my next game. As someone who is just coming off a many-month-long run of Fallout 3, which would you guys recommend starting up? I've never played Borderlands, but Bioshock 1 and 2 rank among my favorite game experiences.

No no, it's someone's birthday, and that someone's lovely wife consistently forgets that all her Amazon orders email me as the person in charge of the checkbook. ;)[DOUBLEPOST=1391784042,1391784007][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, and it's Borderlands 2 with all of the DLC, so I'm guessing that one will be the legendary time sink.

GasBandit

Staff member
Speaking of Borderlands 2, steam's having a free weekend for it now, so anyone who still hasn't tried it but wants to, prepare to lose your weekend. And then scream like an addict in an empty house when monday rolls around.