What are you playing?

Dave

Staff member
Defender's Quest. Seriously, get this game. Well, get this game if you like tower defense RPG style games. Right now on Steam it's a whole $1.49 and well worth it. I've been playing it for a couple of hours now and I'm not even remotely tired of it.

Maybe someone here can help me with this.

I've come to the conclusion that although Paper Mario Sticker Star is not a good game, I like it a lot. Presentation, music, humor--whatever it is, it's not boring me the way of Dream Team, which is a real RPG as opposed to this where there's no exp, no levels, just stickers. My problem is that after a while I start thinking "Why am I battling so much? Sure, I like the battles, but really, there's no challenge. I get enough money to buy some stickers and those are supplemented by the ones you find."

I want the game to be a little more challenging and thought of two ways:

1. No purchasing stickers unless necessary to advance something. This forces me to use what I find carefully, but the problem is, it pushes you to avoid battles and conserve what stickers you have.
2. No picking up stickers unless necessary to advance something. This means the coins I get from battles are all the more important and will actually get used on things besides cheating at the slot machine mini-game, which also makes battles important, but it feels like it's less of a challenge to buy whatever I want.
3. Just hurry to the end of the fucking game to get it out of my system and don't touch it again.

Hrm.

For those curious, I went with 3. I just like the soundtrack and I'm tired of games tricking me into liking them even when I'm not having much fun just because I enjoy the music. Need to just get soundtracks sometimes ...

The Walking Dead: 400 Days - I don't if this was worth the $5, since much of it just seemed to be "here's some choices that will have an impact on the next season" over getting much in the way of a compelling story or things to do. I'm looking forward to season 2 on disc, but I don't think this mid-season thing was necessary.

Defender's Quest. Seriously, get this game. Well, get this game if you like tower defense RPG style games. Right now on Steam it's a whole $1.49 and well worth it. I've been playing it for a couple of hours now and I'm not even remotely tired of it.
I just bought this on your recommendation (because, let's face it, how much cheaper than -90% is it going to get? Free in a Humble Bundle someday, probably, but yeah). If it does not meet my high standards and demands, I will blame this squarely on you. I hope you realize that that €0.98 is hanging over your head like a very, very small and light Sword of Damocles. Your reputation and name as an old flappy coot competent reviewer and trustworthy person hangs in the balance!

Dave

Staff member
I just bought this on your recommendation (because, let's face it, how much cheaper than -90% is it going to get? Free in a Humble Bundle someday, probably, but yeah). If it does not meet my high standards and demands, I will blame this squarely on you. I hope you realize that that €0.98 is hanging over your head like a very, very small and light Sword of Damocles. Your reputation and name as an old flappy coot competent reviewer and trustworthy person hangs in the balance!
Well?

Well?

Necronic

Staff member
Awesome, I am going to grab that tonight since it looks like my office will be closed for the next 1-2 days.

Also, my current games;

Insurrection: Only way to describe this is if Red Orchestra met Counter Strike. No map, no HUD, one shot (almost always) kills. Very fast action, very realistic but not the oh-god-this-is-too-much realism of Arma. Good game

Space Marine: Some friends started playing this and they got me into it. The single player is ok. The PvP-multiplayer is ok. The Coop-Exterminatus is incredibly fun.

Gave Marvel Heroes a shot. Fun little ARPG, started with Colossus. Had to hard close the game though, as it decided to load everything but the video when I zoned into a new area. I'll probably boot it up later tonight and give it another try.

GasBandit

Staff member
There have been some reprehensible, tiresome children (and man-children) on my TF2 servers lately.

Yes, we know you want us to "get rekt" whatever that means. We heard you the first 17 times. You don't have to retype it every time you happen to get a kill.

There have been some reprehensible, tiresome children (and man-children) on my TF2 servers lately.

Yes, we know you want us to "get rekt" whatever that means. We heard you the first 17 times. You don't have to retype it every time you happen to get a kill.
That's when I start stalking those idiots and knife 'em in the back at every possible moment.

The guy was just one of several annoying guys. I think he was a sniper. As I was our team's sole engineer at the time, we didn't cross paths much. (2fort).
You ever need a hand next time and I'm online, toss me an invite. I'll help ya do something about it.

If it's any consolation, I've been running into a lot of dirtbag spawn campers lately. One time, I was so pissed off about it, I actually switched to their team...then snagged the intel and SAT ON IT. Told them exactly why I was doing it and would stop if they would stop spawn camping.

Instead, the assholes got me kicked off the server.

GasBandit

Staff member
And since I seem to be griping about other players in this thread, MWO is full of bloodknight-templar-caliber frothing neckbeards.

Necronic

Staff member
And since I seem to be griping about other players in this thread, MWO is full of bloodknight-templar-caliber frothing neckbeards.
People still play that? What's it like? We all abandoned it like a year ago, but I sort of miss it.

Also, looks like I missed the Defenders quest sale. Definitely not paying 15$ for it.

GasBandit

Staff member
People still play that? What's it like? We all abandoned it like a year ago, but I sort of miss it.
Well, the company still has pretty much failed to deliver on any promises other than "here's a game with 'mechs in it." But they used the Crytek engine so it's pretty and runs pretty well. The playerbase falls into mostly 1 of 3 categories:

1) The "HOW DO I BATTLEMECH" derps who keep running into walls (or each other), play with their arms locked to their torsos, and never do more than 100 damage in a single round.

2) The fire-breathing neckbeards who each think they are the reincarnation (or, since it takes place in 3050, pre-incarnation?) of Morgan Kell, run off by themselves and refuse to work together as a team, and loudly and venomously snarl at anyone who doesn't play the game how the neckbeard thinks it should be played. LRMs are lazy easymode for people who can't target. AC20s are OP. Gauss Rifles are OP. Ultra AC/5 is OP. Oh my god, my enemy brought assault mechs? No wonder we are losing. Oh my god, my enemy brought light mechs? No wonder we are losing. Oh my god, I was the first to die because I ran off on my own? GG noobs way to not support me that's why we'll lose.

3) The super-serious ultra catass crew who only drop as a 12-man group, half of them in Atlas D-DCs, the other half in Jenners (or maybe Spiders). Minmax to the core, identical builds in all mechs, rigid discipline enforced in teamspeak, this isn't a game OUR PRIDE AND HONOR IS AT STAKE.

So why can't I stop playing...?

Marvel Heroes is a nice little time waster, but I wish I could accumulate those shards for buying heroes a little faster. I mean, even LoL gets IP faster than this.

I just want Rocket Raccoon and Squirrel Girl. :(

Marvel Heroes is a nice little time waster, but I wish I could accumulate those shards for buying heroes a little faster. I mean, even LoL gets IP faster than this.

I just want Rocket Raccoon and Squirrel Girl. :(
It's way better than the original system where new heroes were super rare drops. That was terrible.

A few tips for you:

If you want to get splinters faster, equip stuff that increases your special item find percentage. It will cause splinters to drop more often.

Disregard money almost entirely. Instead of selling anything, level up your crafter by donating items. To craft higher level items, you need to have a crafter leveled up and you'll be kind of boned if you don't level him up with your character. The crafters stay leveled up for your alternate heroes, so you only have to level him once.

If you're feeling lucky, the fastest way to get multiple heroes is to use splinters for the random hero unlocks, but you run the risk of getting someone you don't want, or worse, getting a duplicate hero. However, if you do get a duplicate hero, you can use that hero token to upgrade your ultimate ability.

If you have any questions, I'm pretty much the only person on the boards who's been into the game so feel free to ask me anything.

I'll have to look into the random hero thing, build a little roster first. Colossus is fun but the man is ridiculously easy to plow through the game with.

I'll have to look into the random hero thing, build a little roster first. Colossus is fun but the man is ridiculously easy to plow through the game with.
That's pretty much the case with most heroes. When you complete the main campaign, it unlocks heroic mode, which bumps up the difficulty.

Cleared up most of Normal mode on Marvel Heroes, first random hero I got was Hulk, so I guess I have two tanky types now. Almost enough shards for another random roll, though, so hopefully I can get a ranged type or something.

Even though Phoenix Wright logic continued to make me randomly rage, I was on a withdrawal after going back and finishing Apollo Justice, so I bought the Dual Destinies DLC case. And was greeted with this.

image-99140343.jpg

Cleared up most of Normal mode on Marvel Heroes, first random hero I got was Hulk, so I guess I have two tanky types now. Almost enough shards for another random roll, though, so hopefully I can get a ranged type or something.
Nightcrawler is SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!

BTW, I created an unofficial halforums super group. Astonishing Halknights. I sent you a group invitation if you're interested.

Also, you may want to get on playing because it seems like the splinter drop rate is way high right now.

Last edited:
Hmm I might have to try it again now that Nightcrawler is released.

Been busy with some old monster raising games from the ps1 lately, namely Digimon World and Jade Cocoon.