What are you playing?

Well, my initial experience with creating a square enix account was abysmal. Their site is the most user-unfriendly site I've had to navigate in a while.
And I can't figure out why the account I registered at square-enix-games.com doesn't work, and instead, I had to register a new account at https://secure.square-enix.com, which worked just fine.

Then I went through the hell of not being able to use copy/paste to enter my 18 character computer generated password into all of the password forms, but instead, I had to type that shit out (multiple times) in order to get registered. I'm...underwhelmed.

But, I've seen other MMOs with shitty back-end account management, so hopefully the game will be fun. Now I wait for the 50 gigs to finish downloading.

Last edited:
Well, my initial experience with creating a square enix account as abysmal. Their site is the most user-unfriendly site I've had to navigate in a while.
And I can't figure out why the account I registered at square-enix-games.com doesn't work, and instead, I had to register a new account at https://secure.square-enix.com, which worked just fine.

Then I went through the hell of not being able to use copy/paste to enter my 18 character computer generated password into all of the password forms, but instead, I had to type that shit out (multiple times) in order to get registered. I'm...underwhelmed.

But, I've seen other MMOs with shitty back-end account management, so hopefully the game will be fun. Now I wait for the 50 gigs to finish downloading.
This is a Japan thing. Every Japanese MMO I've ever played has THE SHITTEST early 2000's back end I've ever seen and it's entirely because they haven't been forced into changing it. Ironically... this version? It's the NEW version and leaps and bounds better than it was even 6 months ago.

Well, my initial experience with creating a square enix account was abysmal. Their site is the most user-unfriendly site I've had to navigate in a while.

Well, when a programmer can't get their dumb fucking account system right, I don't feel so bad when I had to contact Steam tech support in order to actually get my game working. I had so much trouble with my steam key.

I completed a playthrough of the Long War of the Chosen mod for XCOM 2.

If you consider yourself good at XCOM 2, then I suggest you give this mod a try. Not because it'll kick your ass and show you just how much you don't know (it will, but that's not the point), but because it adds so much more to the game that it could easily have been sold for 20 or 30 bucks as a DLC. There are new enemies, improved maps, new mission types, new weapons, an overhauled strategic layer, etc. There are now 8 classes by default instead of 4, with each class having a well-defined and well-balanced role in the game. Cheesy strategies such as repeaters on Reapers have been removed or rebalanced, which means you need to play properly instead of relying on cheese as a crutch. And the sheer length of the game is impressive; I think I ended up playing something like 160 battles in total, and I skipped a bunch of them.

I was only playing on the easiest difficulty level, but I still feel proud that I managed to pull this off, because seriously the last few battles were brutal. I now consider LWotC to be the definitive XCOM 2 experience, and I would recommend it to anyone who likes XCOM.

Also, my hair and clothing mods still worked with this mod.

Poster_153_2.png

I completed a playthrough of the Long War of the Chosen mod for XCOM 2.

If you consider yourself good at XCOM 2, then I suggest you give this mod a try. Not because it'll kick your ass and show you just how much you don't know (it will, but that's not the point), but because it adds so much more to the game that it could easily have been sold for 20 or 30 bucks as a DLC. There are new enemies, improved maps, new mission types, new weapons, an overhauled strategic layer, etc. There are now 8 classes by default instead of 4, with each class having a well-defined and well-balanced role in the game. Cheesy strategies such as repeaters on Reapers have been removed or rebalanced, which means you need to play properly instead of relying on cheese as a crutch. And the sheer length of the game is impressive; I think I ended up playing something like 160 battles in total, and I skipped a bunch of them.

I was only playing on the easiest difficulty level, but I still feel proud that I managed to pull this off, because seriously the last few battles were brutal. I now consider LWotC to be the definitive XCOM 2 experience, and I would recommend it to anyone who likes XCOM.

Also, my hair and clothing mods still worked with this mod.

View attachment 40572

So bhamv's playthrough was really just a super weird season of Charlie's Angels

PlayStation Store has what looks to be a good sale on at the moment. Cities Skylines was about $12 (taxes in) and Outer Worlds was about $30 (taxes in).

I am going to try sitting up in bed for a while. Wild and crazy times here.

Pre-load for Warhammer Total War III starts tomorrow. I cannot overstate how excited I am for this game. I know there's some salt in the total war community about how the total war series has focused on fantasy more than historical titles (unless you ignore Britannia, Troy and 3 kingdoms *cough*), but I don't think I would have ever given Warhammer fantasy a look had it not been for this series. They've knocked it out of the part every time. The hardest part will be figuring out what race I want to play my first campaign as. I'm thinking something between Nurgle, Cathay, or Ogre Kingdoms (They aren't Orks, but close enough).

Outer worlds seems cool so far. I have a question though please. Can I put my weapon away? I feel odd talking to people in town with my gun in their face.

I think I could do that in other similar games.

Another run through of Stardew Valley. This was my first JoJo run and guys? The JoJo Mart run is so much more fun and accessible than the Community Center one. I was able to get my Greenhouse running in Summer of the first year and, thanks to a lucky Ancient Seed drop, was drowning in money without much to spend it on by Summer of the 2nd year.

Seriously... fuck the Community Center. JoJoMart is where it's at.

I have never done that, but really should try. Pierre is kind of a tool, so I don’t know why I hesitate.
It fundamentally changes the way you play the game. Instead of focusing on making weird groups of items to get freebies and eventually an upgrade, you can just focus on profitability from Day 1 and building relationships/skills/tools right out of the gate, getting the upgrades you actually want at your own pace. It's really freeing... and as far as I can tell, the only downsides are that...

- Pierre's doesn't stay open on Wednesdays after finishing it (but is also means that the Blacksmith is open on Fridays still)
- You have to pay an assload (500k) if you want the movie theater instead of just getting it, but I didn't bother using this anyway

Plus this unlocks the Autopetter at JoJoMart. The Autopetter alone isn't great (it doesn't build friendship points as fast) but if you pet all your animals AND use the Autopetter, it actually gets the benefit of both and raises friendship with animals faster. There is literally no downside to doing the JoJo path over the community center other than the fact that you're helping a soulless corporation get a foothold into Stardew Valley.

It took me forever to find an auto petter on my Switch save. I never found a second one.

I think I will give it a try sometime.

That’s about as radical as I can go so it will be with Elliot again lol.

I actually like having to work towards bundles and things. Just needing to make money makes me feel like I need to make money as fast as possible.

It's just a playstyle difference. Pure profit vs. more diverse products. I personally have never gone for a Jojo Mart run, but that's because I also enjoy the roleplaying aspect of Stardew Valley, and I don't want to let a soulless mega-mart take over.

Steam is doing their "Next Fest" right now, which showcases a myriad of demos for upcoming games. In previous fests, this got my attention for games like the excellent Unpacking and the promising Timberborn.

And I just finished playing the demo for The Wandering Village, a kind of chill town builder game where you build a town on top of a kaiju-sized beast that wanders the lands. It's in Early Access, but it shows a lot of promise. As you progress, you unlock more ways to interact with and control "Onbu." The only thing I didn't like about the game is how nearly unforgiving the infections are if you go through a spore cloud. But apparently the developers did this on purpose for the sake of the demo and are working on it.

I actually backed it on Kickstarter way back when, so I'll be getting a copy of it at some point. But the demo is promising enough that I'm looking forward to playing the full game.

That horrible stutter in Ellen Ring that has plagued streamers is definitely there in my completely legal version of it. Baaaaad for a game requiring frame perfect parties and dodges.

Dave

Staff member
So far the Elden Ring is really beautiful and unforgiving, but there are some things about it that I really, REALLY hate.

• It's an obvious console port. The PC M&K controls are unintuitive at best and fucking insane at worst. You can't map keys for shit and they force you to do wonky things like Hold E and hit arrow key to use quickslot items. How the FUCK is holding E and hitting an arrow anything remotely like a quickslot?!? I mean, the NUMBER keys are unmapped and do nothing, yet I can't set my healing potion to bind to #1. It's stupid.
  • Single player for the most part, but there are player messages and ghost running around everywhere, breaking immersion and giving away secrets that I'd like to discover or miss on my own. You can turn this off, but ONLY by playing in Steam offline mode. WHICH IS STUPID!
  • Nothing is explained. Nothing. Controls, quests, nothing. I guess that's fine, but damn. It's a hard enough game without the interface adding another layer of complexity and frustration.

Again, I like the game so far, but it's infuriating how obtuse the design is for PC. I'm sure it's just fine for console since everything is made for a controller.

Man, the technical issues are so fucking annoying because the game is good. The stuttering and for some reason weird banding happening constantly no matter what sync (v, g, or otherwise) I use. I'm definitely going to wait for the game to be cheap down the road. Wait for the Scholar of the First Sin version or something because fuck sakes.