What are you playing?

From what I have been told, playing the Dark Souls games with mouse/keyboard is unbearably bad.
Oh it is. You cannot play those games well with a keyboard.[DOUBLEPOST=1515896652,1515896580][/DOUBLEPOST]
I hate playing 2d games and JRPGs on a keyboard/mouse, I'd rather play them laying on the couch with a controller. That said, I can't deal with controllers and first person games, I can't coordinate my hands well enough to deal with moving and turning the camera simultaneously because I didn't really use consoles in the 3d first person generation, outside of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. I have a PS2 and a PS3, but those are definitely my JRPG machines, and Nintendo was not exactly brimming with 1st person games before the Switch. For the most part, I think 100% that keyboard/mouse is better for 1st person games.

I'm pretty sure saying keyboards are better for platformers is masochism though.
Yeah, I don't think you'll find anyone who says that a controller matches a K+M for FPS games. Those people are also crazy.[DOUBLEPOST=1515896796][/DOUBLEPOST]Just finished Watch_Dogs 2. Lovely escapist fantasy where exposing abuses by politicians and corporations actually means something. Funny just how naive it feels only a year later. Such an improvement over the first game. Sad that there'll probably never be a sequel.

GasBandit

Staff member
So, we should expect the speed runs of A Hat in Time to be done with keyboard then? Uh-huh, I won't be holding my breath.
No, you should expect them to be done by computers, because the whole speedrun community is a massive turd filled with cheaters in denial. But that's not your point, see below where I respond to Dei -

Yeah, saying a 3D platformer is better played with a keyboard is insanity.

Gas is a crazy person.
PEASANTRY IN EFFECT.
That's because (at least the first one, don't know about the rest) of shitty, half-assed ports.
This. Any time there's a problem with KB/M it's because the programmer is bad. Most "this is awful on keyboard/mouse" situations are because the programmer is just halfassedly trying to map controller inputs onto keys and mouse axes, and call it a day - which is shit.

If I can fly the death star trench run with mouse/KB, and I did, I should be able to move mario.

Blood Bowl II

Players can DIE?! Why wasn't that in the friggin tutorial?

Anyway, I seem incapable of earning enough to do good for my team because I keep having to replace members in order to have a full team. On the upside, currently undefeated against the stupid AI, so maybe today I'll try the multiplayer.

Blood Bowl II

Players can DIE?! Why wasn't that in the friggin tutorial?

Anyway, I seem incapable of earning enough to do good for my team because I keep having to replace members in order to have a full team. On the upside, currently undefeated against the stupid AI, so maybe today I'll try the multiplayer.
You don't -have- to replace players. If you don't have 11 players at the start of a match, you will be given journeymen in the form of whatever the linemen for your team is, bringing you to 11 players. They act just like normal linemen except they have the loner skill, meaning they have a 50% chance to fail Rerolls.

While it's a good idea to eventually have a bench of more than 11 players so you can field replacements during the game, early on you usually want to ignore missing linemen and work on earning enough to get other important positionals or Rerolls (though when building your team, you usually want to start with the number of Rerolls your team will ultimately have, since their price doubles after team creation)

You don't -have- to replace players. If you don't have 11 players at the start of a match, you will be given journeymen in the form of whatever the linemen for your team is, bringing you to 11 players. They act just like normal linemen except they have the loner skill, meaning they have a 50% chance to fail Rerolls.

While it's a good idea to eventually have a bench of more than 11 players so you can field replacements during the game, early on you usually want to ignore missing linemen and work on earning enough to get other important positionals or Rerolls (though when building your team, you usually want to start with the number of Rerolls your team will ultimately have, since their price doubles after team creation)
Okay, good to know. I was confused why I was offered a random recruit at one point for 50k.

I'll probably make a new team today, since the one I've been playing with has been mostly for learning.

Okay, good to know. I was confused why I was offered a random recruit at one point for 50k.

I'll probably make a new team today, since the one I've been playing with has been mostly for learning.
At the end of a match, you're offered to buy any of the journeymen that joined your team. Since they're ordinary linemen, this isn't usually worth it unless they gained a bunch of spp during the match and leveled up. If you do choose to buy them, they lose the loner skill.

But you can't rename them, and for me, that's just a no go.

Welp, multiplayer kicked my ass. Serves me right for starting a brand new team for a race I hadn't played yet.

Think I'll form a new Orc squad, get them suited in League, and then try multiplayer again.

Welp, multiplayer kicked my ass. Serves me right for starting a brand new team for a race I hadn't played yet.

Think I'll form a new Orc squad, get them suited in League, and then try multiplayer again.
BB is the dark souls of board games (even though there is a dark souls board game). New coaches are going to lose a lot, because it's a complex game where the biggest enemy you have early in learning is yourself. I've played the game for a decade and I'd only consider myself decent.

BB is the dark souls of board games (even though there is a dark souls board game). New coaches are going to lose a lot, because it's a complex game where the biggest enemy you have early in learning is yourself. I've played the game for a decade and I'd only consider myself decent.
I'm just glad I don't have to actually do all the dice rolls I see on the bottom of the screen. I remember that junk from Warhammer Fantasy and don't think I could stomach it today.

I think fewer people are playing on PS4 than on PC. This may just be a single player game for me, and that might be for the best seeing how I'm making a lot of dumb mistakes.

Super Mario Odyssey

A friend of mine got a Switch recently. Tonight, I had the opportunity to try it out for the first time. In this case, a delightfully engaging, clever, charming game.

Now I want to buy a Switch for myself. Someone have a spare several hundred dollars to buy one for me? There's a good lad.

Lego Avengers

Meant to post this, as well. My niece (age 6) and I started playing this together. It's funny because I have to basically walk her through the game and tell her what to do with her character. Levels usually boil down to me figuring out the puzzles while she smashes everything in sight. Which sometimes works in our favour since smashing stuff sometimes reveals pieces we need to construct something.

We also did a bit of the free roaming around New York. While I flew around and unlocked a few gold bricks, she spent all her time rampaging with Hulk.

Last edited:

fade

Staff member
This KB/M discussion is crazy talk. KB + M is better for shooters and..... well, it's better for shooters. I guess also for things that need to be typed.

GasBandit

Staff member
This KB/M discussion is crazy talk. KB + M is better for shooters and..... well, it's better for shooters. I guess also for things that need to be typed.
First person ANYTHING especially. But It's also better for RTSes. And action RPGs. And all the other things I said.

Basically the thumbstick is the worst invention in the history of ever and the only console that even came close to doing it right was the Dreamcast.

GasBandit

Staff member
Gas is such a hipster version of the PC master race.
The funny thing is, consoles could have buried PCs once and for all if they'd only adopted KB/M compatibility more fervently back in the PS2/XB era, when their controllers were all USB anyway. All it would have taken was a couple non-game app disks, like word processors and web browsers, and no college kid would have seen the point in needing a PC *and* a console.

But they shackled themselves to their thumbsticked abominations, and consigned themselves to mediocrity forevermore.

fade

Staff member
First person ANYTHING especially. But It's also better for RTSes. And action RPGs. And all the other things I said.

Basically the thumbstick is the worst invention in the history of ever and the only console that even came close to doing it right was the Dreamcast.
I couldn't disagree more. The double thumbstick paradigm to control body+head movement is completely natural feeling to me. It just lacks precision.

GasBandit

Staff member
I couldn't disagree more. The double thumbstick paradigm to control body+head movement is completely natural feeling to me. It just lacks precision.
Pssf, yeah, it's not like precision is important or anything. /sarcasm

Well, I guess it isn't, after all, when console games compensate by literally aiming for you.

Peasant.

fade

Staff member
Pssf, yeah, it's not like precision is important or anything. /sarcasm

Well, I guess it isn't, after all, when console games compensate by literally aiming for you.

Peasant.
It is, but so is the immersion of a natural feeling control set + tactile feedback. I loved the "rumble pack" stuff from the moment it came out. The PS4's controller lights and speaker are even better. Have you played GTA V on a PS4? It's awesome when the cop radio comes through the controller speaker, and the controller LEDs start flashing red and blue.

I guess it depends on which part you value.

I've had 3 solo wins so far since the reset. The most recent was just a really lucky grenade toss at the end.

I cannot seem to get a win with duo or squad though.

Trying to play Nioh. Combat is fun, but holy lord do I hate random Diablo loot. The curated placement of items is one of the things I like most about Dark Souls.

This pair of boots grants 3.824 % defense boost, but THIS pair of boots grants 4.528 % greater item drop rate.

BLECH.