What are you listening to II: Electric Bogaloo

I was not expecting an OK Go reference.
Nor Aimee Mullins. Though I guess she's more popular now due to Stranger Things.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
You're allowed to be wrong.
This song says absolutely nothing. "I'm so much better than everyone else. My rapping is fire. I get nothing but pussy, money, & weed."

Just like every other bullshit rap "artist". This song is trash and I'm not wrong. Fite me.

Not that I particularly enjoyed the song either, but are you saying that music can only be good if it has a meaningful, unique message? Are instrumental tracks worthless because they don't say anything either?

Dave

Staff member
Not that I particularly enjoyed the song either, but are you saying that music can only be good if it has a meaningful, unique message? Are instrumental tracks worthless because they don't say anything either?
No, I'm saying the message is tedious and lacking any originality at all. You put the lyrics and track into a can and the label would be white with black lettering. It's just generic in every way. The video was interesting with the using of developmentally disabled people, but other than that it's extremely forgettable.

This song says absolutely nothing. "I'm so much better than everyone else. My rapping is fire. I get nothing but pussy, money, & weed."

Just like every other bullshit rap "artist". This song is trash and I'm not wrong. Fite me.
That's... Kind of the point? Did you not notice the bleak visuals of the video at all? Pussy money weed is the title of a lil Wayne song from a decade ago, and is seen as the stereotype for shallow rap. So this, juxtaposed with an Estonian guy with amputee dancers in the middle of a wasteland, might suggest that maybe you are only looking at surface level

Dave

Staff member
That's... Kind of the point? Did you not notice the bleak visuals of the video at all? Pussy money weed is the title of a lil Wayne song from a decade ago, and is seen as the stereotype for shallow rap. So this, juxtaposed with an Estonian guy with amputee dancers in the middle of a wasteland, might suggest that maybe you are only looking at surface level
Okay, you are probably right. I didn't know the backstory. Thanks for the clarification.

Okay, you are probably right. I didn't know the backstory. Thanks for the clarification.
No prob. I thought about including the history of terrible rap songs named that, but I didn't think the video was so subtle that it needed it. I mean, they're using wheelchairs instead of cars, it's a little on the nose :p

Zappit

Staff member
And for goofy, fun metal...

Also, I don’t quite know what the hell this is, but it’s great.

Edit - Oh, my god, there’s more!

Last edited:
I got clued onto Sturgill Simpson's latest album today. I'd heard of him before, but never paid much attention since I'm not huge into country. It's pretty sick, apparently there's a Netflix anime too à la Interstella 5555. Here's the first track I found:

Let's take it on back to the 90s, but if you only have time to watch one of these, the first one should be it. Fiona Apple was criminally underrated (get it? Criminal?)

A little Pearl Jam always fits in, I always loved the animation in this video, even if it is a little heavy handed and 90s edge by todays standards.

Jamiroquai. Fuck you, this video will always be cool and I'll hear nothing to the contrary.

They call Beyonce queen, but we all know Lauryn Hill held the crown first. She'd still be on the throne had health not sidelined her music career.

November Rain. 'nuff said.

Nuthin but a G Thang - Dr Dre ft Snoop Dogg. I wasn't actually listening to this in the 90s, I didn't come to love rap until later in life, but honestly that's true for most of the music on this list.

It was a Good Day - Ice Cube. See above.

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana. This, however, was totally young me's jam.

Nothing Compares 2U - Sinead O'Connor. This music video will always be beautiful and powerful.

Sweating Bullets - Megadeth. Listen, if you were a metalhead back in the day, you had to answer one important question. Metallica or Megadeth? Megadeth was the correct answer.

GasBandit

Staff member
Thursday was the year's top 50 on A State of Trance.

So, if you wanted to know what was popular in Trance music this year, here's the countdown with links.

#50 - Giuseppe Ottaviani - Keep Your Dreams Alive (Dreamstate Europe Official Anthem)
#49 - Above & Beyond ft. Marty Longstaff - Flying by Candlelight (Above & Beyond Club Mix)
#48 - Ahmed Romel & Simon O'Shine - The Love Potion (Aly & Fila Rework)
#47 - Atlantis vs. Avatar ft. Miriam Stockley - Fiji (ReOrder Remix)
#46 - Andrew Rayel & HALIENE - Take All Of Me
#45 - Key Lean - Jarre
#44 - Above & Beyond & Seven Lions ft. Opposite The Other - See The End
#43 - Ruben de Ronde ft. Louise Rademakers - Games (Giuseppe Ottaviani Remix)
#42 - Cosmic Gate & Forêt - Need To Feel Loved
#41 - Allen Watts & Christina Novelli - My Gravity
#40 - Aly & Fila ft. Deirdre Mclaughlin - Gravity
#39 - Gareth Emery & Emma Hewitt - Take Everything (STANDERWICK Remix)
#38 - MaRLo & HALIENE - Whisper
#37 - Giuseppe Ottaviani - Tranceland
#36 - Sodality - Nazca
#35 - JES - Imagination (Will Atkinson Remix)
#34 - Armin van Buuren ft. Candace Sosa - Runaway
#33 - Roman Messer - Destiny
#32 - Armin van Buuren ft. Sam Martin - Miles Away
#31 - Arctic Moon ft. Shuba - Cool In My Disaster
#30 - Above & Beyond ft. Zoë Johnston - There's Only You (Above & Beyond Club Mix)
#29 - Ciaran McAuley & Clare Stagg - All I Want
#28 - Armin van Buuren - Let The Music Guide You (ASOT 950 Anthem)
#27 - Darren Porter & RAM & Natalie Gioia - One Million Seconds
#26 - Armin van Buuren & Avian Grays ft. Jordan Shaw - Something Real
#25 - FUTURECODE ft. Roxanne Emery - Dancing In The Rain
#24 - Factor B ft. Cat Martin - Crashing Over
#23 - Above & Beyond - Distorted Truth
#22 - Simon Patterson ft. Lucy Pullin - Blink
#21 - Andrew Bayer - Magitek
#20 - Cosmic Gate - Come With Me
#19 - Aly & Fila ft. JES - I Won't Let You Fall (Uplifting Mix)
#18 - Armin van Buuren - Turn It Up
#17 - Ben Gold ft. Zoe Lowe - The City Sleeps Tonight
#16 - Armin van Buuren ft. HALIENE - Song I Sing
#15 - Roman Messer ft. Cari - Serenity
#14 - Giuseppe Ottaviani - Panama
#13 - Armin van Buuren & Tempo Giusto - Mr. Navigator
#12 - Giuseppe Ottaviani - 8K
#11 - Above & Beyond vs. Armin van Buuren - Show Me Love
#10 - Armin van Buuren ft. Sam Martin - Wild Wild Son (Richard Durand Remix)
#9 - Markus Schulz ft. HALIENE - Ave Maria
#8 - Ferry Corsten pres. Gouryella - Surga
#7 - Rising Star ft. Alexandra Badoi - Cosmos
#6 - Aly & Fila - It's All About The Melody
#5 - Ben Gold & Sivan - Stay (Sneijder Remix)
#4 - Key4050 & Plumb - I Love You
#3 - Armin van Buuren & Shapov - La Résistance De L'Amour
#2 - Richard Durand & Christina Novelli - Save You
#1 - MaRLo & Feenixpawl ft. Kamilla Bayrak - Lighter Than Air

All in all, a pretty solid stable of tunes this year. Richard Durand redeems himself after last year's so-called "Tune of the Year," The Air I Breathe. Save You makes much better use of Christina Novelli. As a fan of Giuseppe Ottaviani, I'm glad to see so many of his tracks on the list. I really miss listening to his show, Go On Air. Apparently however, he's refocused the time he's not spending on the show into producing more music, and I'm ok with that. Also, I like how much of HALIENE I'm seeing, as I like her voice a lot too.

This year's #1 is one I am not really familiar with, and I guess it's ok. Doesn't really seem all that much better than some of the things way down the list.

Naturally, as this list is put together on Armin van Buuren's show by his listeners, there's gonna be a lot of AvB tracks, but lest someone think the deck is being stacked, there's a reason why this man's name is synonymous with the entire Trance music genre. He had a bit of an off year last year, as I wasn't all that into "Blah Blah Blah," but this year's album, "Balance," is a much better offering. I particularly like "Song I Sing," the drop in that one is an absolute bop, and it's clear to see why he chose "Let the Music Guide You" as the anthem for his 950th episode extravaganza.

And of course, the usual heavy hitters of the trance world are all represented - Markus Schulz and Ferry Corsten, close contenders for the top Trance artist crown in past years are a little under-represented here, but maybe they're taking a break this year after big album releases late last year. However, scene mainstays Aly & Fila, Above and Beyond, and Cosmic Gate are all present multiple times. I expected to see a little more of Gareth Emery, as I really like what he did last year - but "Take Everything" is a good track, even if it's his only one on the list.

So, when all is said and done, I got a lot of tracks to pour over to decide what to get with the google play cards I always seem to get for christmas. There's a lot to pick from this year.

I can't believe Janelle Monae graced the world with The Electric Lady seven years ago and I'm just hearing it now. I wish I could go into work late, this is a soundscape SAGA and I have to leave soon ...