What are you giving up for Lent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I f-ing hate the Lent/Easter season in the American south. It's such an uncomfortable time. I often think it's all about making people feel like ungrateful brats and the candy isn't very nice. So, I'm giving up religion for Lent despite the fact that I'm not even a Christian.

So there. What are you giving up?

So, I'm giving up religion for Lent despite the fact that I'm not even a Christian.

Look, I am an atheist but I see value in asceticism and I see little or no value on knocking other people's values. Choosing to fast or give something up to remind yourself what you really have and what's really important doesn't seem like a bad thing to me. I'm sorry people have made you feel like you're ungrateful, I hope that isn't their intent and if it is, well, they should do some deeper reflection about why they're observing Lent.

To the asked question:
I sometimes try to observe Lent, myself. This year I haven't made a decision but I might give up alcohol as I've been drinking too much anyway as of late.

Look, I am an atheist but I see value in asceticism and I see little or no value on knocking other people's values. Choosing to fast or give something up to remind yourself what you really have and what's really important doesn't seem like a bad thing to me. I'm sorry people have made you feel like you're ungrateful, I hope that isn't their intent and if it is, well, they should do some deeper reflection about why they're observing Lent.
My stance is that I keep my non-beliefs to myself. I won't preach to you if you don't preach to me.

The conversations I'm talking about tend to go this way (usually at work):

"What are you giving up for Lent?"
"I don't celebrate Lent."
*dirty look*
"Oh."

Or

"Did you have a good Easter?"
"I actually don't celebrate Easter."
*super dirty look*
"Why?"
"I'd prefer not to talk about it."
*ueber mega dirty look*

It's one of those things where, in the area of the south I grew up in, you have the older generations crying while watching The Passion reenactments and draping purple scarves over crosses. "Jesus died for your sins! Repent!" No, I'm good. You keep that over there.

The conversations I'm talking about tend to go this way (usually at work):

"What are you giving up for Lent?"
"I don't celebrate Lent."
*dirty look*
"Oh."

Or

"Did you have a good Easter?"
"I actually don't celebrate Easter."
*super dirty look*
"Why?"
"I'd prefer not to talk about it."
*ueber mega dirty look*

You don't really have to worry about those problems here you know ;)

dill616 I understand that can be overbearing. I guess I try not to worry about whether they dislike my beliefs or choose to preach to me: I can't control them, so they can do it if they like. Myself, I love debating atheism and religion as I'm a huge reader of philosophy and theology, so I often am an active audience for those things. Your post just came off as spiteful and negative, and I don't know... I have been exhausted with a lot of kneejerk negativity lately. I don't want you to feel ungrateful because of people who observe Lent, obviously. I just don't want you to feel spiteful about it either. The "I'm an atheist, I gave up religion" just seemed... smug. The kind of self-important stuff /r/atheism pushes constantly.

I didn't mean to be a dick or anything, I'm just exasperated today. I'ma go eat.

Cajungal

Staff member
Catholics down here are so laid back. Their idea of Lent is having a crawfish boil on Fridays and not having chocolate maybe. A lot of priests and ministers here suggest finding nice things to do for the community instead of just giving up random things.

Catholics down here are so laid back. Their idea of Lent is having a crawfish boil on Fridays and not having chocolate maybe. A lot of priests and ministers here suggest finding nice things to do for the community instead of just giving up random things.
It isn't even Catholics celebrating most of the time. Random Christian people decide that it'll be a great way to repent. I had a Methodist suitemate in college who lorded the fact that she'd given up soda for 40 days over all of us. Great! I still remember you showing off your hoo-ha on Saturday night and then doing coke off of the bathroom toilet seat. I AM NOT BITTER!

I guess I could outsource it. That would free up some time to get a 2nd job and I could outsource that.....

I might be onto something here.

GasBandit

Staff member
I guess I could outsource it. That would free up some time to get a 2nd job and I could outsource that.....

I might be onto something here.
Wasn't... wasn't there a book where that happened? The earth economy got so bad that just about everyone who had a job "sublet" it for a 50 50 split, sometimes going down multiple levels of subletting? It had to do with a war in space, and the time dilation from traveling at relativistic speed...

Got it. It was the Forever War.

I thought I read about something like that here. Didn't some guy outsource his own job to someone in china for a few bucks an hour? I can't remember the details.

I thought I read about something like that here. Didn't some guy outsource his own job to someone in china for a few bucks an hour? I can't remember the details.
Yes.

I stopped celebrating Lent about the same time I stopped going to Mass regularly.
I see the value in occasional abstinence (For instance, I fasted for a week last year), but do not feel the need to do so to honor the long ago suffering of others. I am required to give up sufficient pleasure and satisfaction year-round in order to make ends meet that I figure...I'm good.

--Patrick

Damn straight.
Or gay, or bi. Don't be so close minded.

A lot of priests and ministers here suggest finding nice things to do to young boys instead of just giving up random things.
uh-huh. :troll:

Anyway, not giving up anything for Lent. My girlfriend's going on a 40 day diet (useful considering Lent is 46 days :p), so I'll probably be eating leaner meat, no candy and more celery :p

Lent is 40 days. There are just 6 days off. That is why St. Pat's is so popular. It is a feast day in fasting month.
What? No. The "six days off" are the six Sundays. Saint Patrick's Day, 17/3, is NOT an official Catholic holiday if it falls during Lent; if it does, it's automatically moved to the Monday after Easter. Anyone celebrating Saint Patrick's on the 17th, during Lent, is sinning, as far as the Church is concerned.

What? No. The "six days off" are the six Sundays. Saint Patrick's Day, 17/3, is NOT an official Catholic holiday if it falls during Lent; if it does, it's automatically moved to the Monday after Easter. Anyone celebrating Saint Patrick's on the 17th, during Lent, is sinning, as far as the Church is concerned.
I thought, as far as the church is concerned, everyone is sinning all the time.

I thought, as far as the church is concerned, everyone is sinning all the time.
Nahh. Priests, popes and the rich and powerful are okay.

(technically, though, you're practically right. While most protestants stick to the 10 Commandments and 7 vices/virtues, the Catholic Church never published anything stating they don't expect compliance with all of Leviticus etc. Unless you can count the Bible explicitly stating the new Covenant replaces the old Covenant, but that means there's only one Commandment left, so I don't think so. Anyway, yes, if you try to follow everything, you'll see there are some pretty bad inconsistencies and contradictions in there, so....yeah, chances are you're sinning right now :p)

Myeah, I'm afraid you're a bit of a lost cause to the Catholics. Now, if only you were a priest yourself, than it'd all be OK :p

Status
Not open for further replies.