Weird weather

Dave

Staff member
Supposed to have a wintery mix. Instead we’re getting a couple inches of snow and the weight of it has caused massive power outages. We’ve been without power for a few hours now. There’s currently 26,000+ people without power in Omaha. I just want to play my game and watch football, damn it!

Dave

Staff member
Power just came back on after being out for 8 hours. Gonna be a long night as I slept for a couple hours.

For the first time in a long time, the Arizona State Fair closed down Saturday due to...

...rain.

OK, it was mostly because of flooding due to the remnants of Sergio that came through the Valley, but still - rain, people.

Proof (Courtesy of KSAZ 10 TV):

Last edited:
And the Klondike fire has flared back up again, filling the skies in our valley with smoke, and the valley to the south of us with fire. We're not supposed to have an appreciable amount of precipitation until Halloween.

Pfft. Amateurs. From Wikipedia:
In Pincher Creek, the temperature rose by 41 °C (74 °F), from −19 to 22 °C (−2 to 72 °F), in one hour in 1962.[5]
You have an 81°F difference in your weather map there, and that's "feels like" as well, which could be more than actual. 74°F of ACTUAL TEMPERATURE change happened in ONE HOUR (second link here). And look at the rest of that article about Chinooks. This type of thing isn't rare in Alberta.

So Texas, when that happens in one spot (even over a day), then call. Otherwise, "meh"

GasBandit

Staff member
This October has been ridiculously rainy for Texas. I've lived here around 19 years, and I can't remember another month where it rained as much as it has this month. It's so bad, that almost all the halloween festivals that had been advertising and have been taking place for years have canceled due to the weather.

Add to that the constant rain has meant I can't open up the house like I normally like to do in the fall, because no matter how good the screens are, mosquitoes get in. I've already got a couple bites. Did I mention West Nile's been showing up in this area again? There's been 3 confirmed cases so far.

It's truly been miserable, weather wise, lately.

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh, and just to give you an idea of how miserable it's been, I haven't been able to park in my spot at work for a week - nor has anybody else - because we're all afraid of our cars sinking into the swamp (no pavement there).

Oh, and just to give you an idea of how miserable it's been, I haven't been able to park in my spot at work for a week - nor has anybody else - because we're all afraid of our cars sinking into the swamp (no pavement there).
On the plus side, your car can’t overheat if there’s no sunlight.

—Patrick

While it had been more rainy than average around here, it's not as big as issue as the temperature changes. We went from "late summer" temps into early October to "early winter" with only a handful of fall-ish temps interspersed. I've noticed it's really had an effect on the leaves. The last few autumns, the colors have been really vibrant and the leaves fall later. This year, a lot of trees are almost bare without changing colors, and those that did change colors are muddied and dull. The weather took all the joy out of Fall this year.

Plenty of it here. 7min late for work, just could NOT get people out of the way.
I understand that it is snowy and all, but I had to waste time busting out of my driveway this morning, so you go take that 50MPH BS up on the surface streets where it belongs.

—Patrick

What is this "snow" of which you speak?

(Shouldn't say that; Flagstaff's gotten hit this month. And my in-laws woke up to snow on their lawn for the first time in years.)

I'll catch it from @Dirona for this: I still gotta remember to fill up the jerry cans for our snowblower and plow. But we don't have any "big bullshit" forecast like you guys.

I will say this: We just moved a bit further into the country, and having a big yard and trees to look at behind the house makes the tons of snow a bit more bearable.