Weird weather

Still sitting at 31F in Lufkin, about 2 hours east of BCS. You’d think the world was ending with how much people are panicking and wailing “it’s going to be as bad as last February!!!! It’s just stupid.

Still sitting at 31F in Lufkin, about 2 hours east of BCS. You’d think the world was ending with how much people are panicking and wailing “it’s going to be as bad as last February!!!! It’s just stupid.
A brother of mine south of me has lost power a couple of times already. But they got more freezing precipitation.

A brother of mine south of me has lost power a couple of times already. But they got more freezing precipitation.
Had someone post on a local group earlier, “we just lost power! It’s starting!” All that had happened was a fool on a wet road took out a pole, power was back for the small outage within the hour. Looks like all the precip has moved southeast of us and won’t be an issue at all.

Had someone post on a local group earlier, “we just lost power! It’s starting!” All that had happened was a fool on a wet road took out a pole, power was back for the small outage within the hour. Looks like all the precip has moved southeast of us and won’t be an issue at all.
The rain passed me just about an hour after it started sleeting. I have a light covering on my deck. My bro on the other hand had a smallish amount of freezing rain and took his power out.

I thought when I moved to Texas I had gotten away from all this.
1644692565115.png

Edit:
According to the doctor, I'm supposed to keep my knee open to the air and un-bandaged as much as possible. Ideally, only bandaging at night for sleeping. That's difficult if I'm wearing jeans.
Luckily for me, a decade of Virginia living has trained me for this moment. Though I did get funny looks in the grocery store for wearing shorts. :D
For the record, I *did* buy bread and milk. But only because I was out of bread and milk.

Last edited:
Another night at almost -30. My wife’s mom woke up this morning feeling excessively cold. She has a hot water heating system, and it turns out her water pump crapped out. It took most of the day to get someone to come out and fix it, and in that time one of the pipes froze and broke. Spent my evening trying to do a quick patch that will hopefully last long enough so that more damage isn’t done.

This winter sucks.

Storm Eunice is passing over our country as we speak - expected to be the heaviest storm in about 30 years.
The weather forecast decided not to go to code red, but stay in orange.
Or, as they explained themselves: "Yes, we're staying in orange, but it was really an edge case. We're in code deep orange, kind of reddish, really"

Also, today our covid-restrictions were lowered, we went from code red to code orange there. Which, of course, has led to a plethora of memes with "code orange: you can go out again!" and "code orange: please stay indoors!" juxtaposed in various ways.

It's always fun when this spot is the only part of the state getting rain. I suspect it is a result of a microclimate around Cape Canaveral that tends to push hurricanes away from the First Coast and pulls rain onto the Space Coast. It's not a big deal, other than I didn't plan for it today.

GasBandit

Staff member
I guess winter is officially over in Texas, had to switch back on to the air conditioner today in the house, and the dehumidifier started running again (it kicks on automatically at 60% humidity).

It just fucking snowed here. I’m about 30 miles east of San Francisco, and close to sea level. And it snowed.

192115F5-0A9D-43AD-89D6-5F44C74C08E1.jpeg13688BBC-E055-4EB0-BB20-0261CFCBF401.jpegFCA3B1D0-8414-43FC-97FA-0DEB50D479FD.jpeg

EDIT: And yes, I know full well this is the lightest dusting. I know that there are parts of this country which get much, much worse on a regular basis. That’s not my point. It NEVER snows here, even a tiny bit. This is so bizarre.

EDIT: And yes, I know full well this is the lightest dusting. I know that there are parts of this country which get much, much worse on a regular basis. That’s not my point. It NEVER snows here, even a tiny bit. This is so bizarre.
FWIW, I'm impressed with the amount of snowfall.

Gettin to be so we need to be able to sue Mother Nature for whiplash.
You damn well know it does this every
fall/winter/spring. You know last week was false spring, this is last winter and the pollening starts is just a week or so.

Related note, saw my first flowering tree (a redbud) yesterday. That’s why I know the pollening is just around the corner.

When I get to work tomorrow morning, we will not only have a wind chill here in Mesa, but it is projected to be somewhere right around FREEZING.

Just had one heck of a supercell thunderstorm move through town. Anywhere from pea-sized to golf ball-sized hail reported. Cloud rotation, but no funnel cloud or confirmed tornado reported. My ears are fairly sensitive to pressure changes, and they were giving me fits during the height of the storm, so fairly sure the low pressure area passed close to us. No reports of damages yet, but it won’t be until morning that we’ll all be able to check our roofs for damage. All looks good for the next hour or so, another line of storms is coming, but doesn’t look as threatening as far as intensity goes.

I think we’re still looking at 2-3 hours from now. Daughter in Waco had all but one short storm miss them. Austin had 5-6 confirmed tornados in the area, and tornadoes confirmed northwest of Ft Worth.
Found one little spot of hail damage from the storms last week, a small crack in the fiberglass panels over our back porch. Once this all dries I should be able to repair it with a little silicone or JB Weld.

My town got hit by a tornado, only a half mile away from my own home. It damaged my favorite rec center and a bunch of homes and businesses. Thankfully reports are that no one has been badly hurt, though the mental toll is going to be high.

It definitely spooked me good considering I was working and driving around while it was happening. Had I gotten a delivery down that direction I might have been in the middle of it at any point.

Dave

Staff member
In Omaha it’s currently 59 degrees. It’s supposed to get up to 89 by this afternoon, then cool off back into the 50’s. And that means severe weather tonight. Like large hail & tornadoes severe.