Weird weather

It rained all day yesterday and was +8. Then it was a blizzard all night. Today it's -25 and the whole city is once again coated in ice. Fuck. This. So. Hard.

...ok, not as impressive as Frank's, but our weather today has been light flurries, suddenly followed by a huge burst of thick, heavy snow, then flurries again, then nothing for like, 45 minutes, all the while it's mostly sunny? Rinse, repeat at least 3 times. I'd call our weather ...indecisive.

I was torn today on whether to turn on my house's A/C. It got to nearly 80f today. But I am so cheap that no matter how hot it got I wanted to conserve electricity because a cold front was blowing through. I really did not want to switch on the A/C and forget to turn the heater back on. And wake up to frost in the bedroom.

Even the weather reporters are getting tired of reporting on the cold. It feels like the last week has had one long cold/wind chill warning issued.

9AA02F78-1757-46C5-A628-28D0DEFBF6F7.jpeg

Much as I hate snow and cold (it doesn't make biking enjoyable), I actually realized tick season shouldn't be so bad this spring and summer. The reason tick blooms have been worse over the years is because of warmer winters.

Huh.
Rivers do the same thing as they cut through land, though of course much more slowly.
I'm always interested in things that can be related to other things. Neat!

--Patrick

In honor of the fairly significant storm we're supposed to get tonight, my friend, who ironically, moved from North Jersey to NOVA, shared this post:
FB_IMG_1643382511479.jpg

Last edited:
I've never understood the bread and milk thing. Bread, yeah, maybe. But milk? It's got a limited shelf life! Who needs 10 gallons of milk, and how are you going to drink it all before it goes bad? But I've literally seen people at the store in NOVA with a shopping cart FULL of milk before a winter storm.

In Texas, before a big storm, I grew up having it drilled into me that you need bottled water (because needing potable water is a thing with major storms) and food that doesn't require power to prepare/eat. Before every storm in NOVA, I always laughed because the milk was always gone but there was plenty of bottled water. Suckers...

relevant video:

Frozen milk lasts decades and will, on its own, keep you alive and relatively okay as far as vitamin and mineral shortages go. If it's a snow storm or you're otherwise in an area where you can keep it cold enough, milk is technically great. In practice, water 'll probably be the better choice, obviously - you're not preparing to have to live off of one thing for a month, after all.

Ok. Evidently East Texas hasn't gotten the memo on the whole bread and milk thing.

We're supposed to have a huge winter storm tomorrow. I figured I'd get a bit of water to tide me over in case I'm out of power for a few days.

Plenty of water. But guess what they were out of? Bread and milk. geeze

Ok. Evidently East Texas hasn't gotten the memo on the whole bread and milk thing.

We're supposed to have a huge winter storm tomorrow. I figured I'd get a bit of water to tide me over in case I'm out of power for a few days.

Plenty of water. But guess what they were out of? Bread and milk. geeze
Sorry, only Jersey knows how to properly prep for snow.

EDIT: Disagree all you want, but as stated above, if you aren't stocking up on booze, junk food and tomato sauce, you ain't doing it right! :p

Last edited:
We had snow two weekends ago. The first time SC had an accumulation of any size in 7 years. Today it will be 76. On Sunday we could see some flurries again.

Time to go get the bread & milk. How else are you going to make those milk sandwiches?

-35 again this morning, not including any windchill. Moving somewhere warmer looks a little bit better every year.