[Webcomic] Webcomic Appreciation Jamboree

figmentPez

Staff member
Does anyone know how Sheldon's parent's died?

In any case, I'm betting this was the last time the family was together. A photo of your wife, your kid and your kid-in-law, who are all gone now... What an amazing gift to find buried in a box, but such a sad gift at the same time.

The significance in that strip is that when he found the roll, it said "17" on the back - indicating that this was the last photo taken by his late wife.

There has been suspicion that Sheldon's parents died in a car crash, but Dave never really mentioned it in the strip's very, very, VERY long run.

figmentPez

Staff member
So, "Tales from the Trenches" updated today, with a pretty out-there story, but "The Trenches" comic itself didn't have a new episode today. I can't say I'm disappointed.

Issues over at Questionable Content.

TL;DR version:

Months of sobriety + nicotine withdrawal + issues from Hurricane Sandy + negative Tumblr post - supportive wife who was away visiting friends - other coping mechanisms = QC on temporary hiatus.

A little more info at the website.

It's not known for sure, but the criticism of the comic wasn't the reason for the meltdown. It was a host of factors, kinda like it wasn't just the explosion at the ConEd plant that caused all sorts of problems in Lower Manhattan.

And yeah, dude's been fighting demons for years. Unlike a certain hack on the other side of the country, though, he actually works at putting his stuff out there and improving it constantly.

And I'd also argue he's 100x the artist that Kurtz ever was.

GasBandit

Staff member
That's true. You just have urges to stab other people in the hand, which is clearly not as far along the crazy scale as stabbing oneself in the hand.
Actually, I'm less "stabby" and more "toxic fumey."

~Any dolt with half a brain
Can see that human kind has gone insane
To the point where I don't know
if I'll upset the status quo
If I throw poison in the water main.~

New comic I started reading called "Bartenerds". I like this one especially since its so freaking true.
Kind of agree/disagree. I don't have anymore DVDs or BluRay this much is true but I still use my cable box to pre-record shows for me. Also if the person in question doesn't have DVDs, Cable or Netflix does that imply he doesn't watch anything at all?

So, I got this crazy idea among the people over at the QC comic forums that maybe, put together, we could come up with a guest strip for Jeph while his hand recuperates (two tendons in his non-drawing hand, by the way - and he's planning on getting back to work Monday).

I really had no plans or expectation for it, but it kinda took off.

And this is the result.

Remember what I said about The Kurtz? This makes Jeph 1,000,000,000 times the artist Scott ever was.

Now, if you'll excuse me... I still have something in my eye dangit, keeps tearing up for some reason...

You know what is still a thing? College Roomies from Hell! Forgot all about it until just now. And the characters seem to be just as whiny and mean as when I stopped reading it.

I used to be some-what of a fan of the comic, and I cannot BELIEVE Dave's death was supposed to be permanent. Hell, he was pretty much the only character I actually liked!

Dear lord this CAD story line is fucking hard core! I still find it weird how this storyline started out with Ethan just wanting to restart his video game. Craaaaaaaaaaaaazy man.

So I'm reading Comic Critics and I ...like it? I'm honestly not sure sometimes , a good amount of the jokes can be really funny but I don't like ANY of the characters. I get it, they are supposed to be jerky comic book critics but even so as protagonists they just turn me away from the story.

Now I'm reading Shortpacked, and I wonder why the hell wasn't focused on Amber and Mike from the beginning? Ethan's all right but these two are probably the best characters in the comic.

I can't stand Malaya though, mostly because shes not funny-mean like Mike but just mean-mean. It feels like she was thrown in there to make Robyn seem like the more likable character. And sadly it worked. You can debate me on her merits, but I feel she is an awful addition to the series.

Edit: Aaaaaaaaaaaaand Amber and Mike are moving away. DAMMIT WILLIS!