[Announcement] Way to go Supreme Court! Marriage Equality!

The one where Jesus said to love one another, you know, the NEW testament? That's what I always want to say, even though I'm in my happy agnostic bubble.

GasBandit

Staff member
Or you could bust out the old funny stuff about how it bans wearing mixed fabrics, women teaching or speaking in church, touching the dead skin of a pig, eating seafood, trimming your beard, etc.

It's a bit of a shame, really, when all signs indicate that same sex marriage was on its way to universal acceptance via democracy. If opponents were faced with the stark proof of the minority of their belief, there probably would have been more acceptance in the long run that the world has changed and it's just time to accept it. But now, that path is closed, and it would not surprise me if churches that perform gay marriages start to see the same sort of treatment that abortion clinics have been experiencing for the last few decades.
I don't think I've ever heard of a Unitarian church being bombed...

This is good. I've seen too many of my LGBTQ friends face various troubles with this issue - it took almost 2 years for work to approve healthcare coverage for my immediate supervisor's partner, even though that's a right specifically protected under NJ law.

I realize that the way the ruling came about might mean it continues to be questioned for years to come, but I'm going to go ahead and celebrate the victory for now anyway.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

CSPAN2 is replaying oral arguments and I tuned in just long enough to hear the TN Solicitor General call their policy "legitimate." So, it's "legitimate" to deny one group of people rights afforded to another group of people based solely on the legal doctrine of "we don't wanna"?

Whelp, today I at least started my first ever block list on facebook.

Boy, you really learn who the bigots are when something like this happens.
I'm surprised you lasted this long. I can barely stand most people's "clever" links and posts when it's not politicized.

So I've been arguing with this idiot online about homosexuality. They're very religious and say it's a sin and quoting Bible passages and such. They also threw out some statistics, like only 3% of North America is gay and that 30% of those people are pedophiles. Oh yeah, this guy also equated homosexuality with pedophilia. Because of course he does.

I've seen this 3% statistic used in arguments before. Where on earth does that come from? Or that 30% bullshit?

Ugh. I hate people sometimes. It's judgmental, close-minded bigots like them that are slowing progress in our society.

Some of these guy's quotes:

"Would you leave your son in a company of two homosexuals alone ? Would you take that risk ? I wouldn't. Soon the schools will be dressing your son into girly princess dresses, actually the idea is already there will you be happy about it ? Your son is going to be surrounded by gays as they aim now for corrupting education , if you disagree, the state will take your son away and adopt him to a nice homosexual couple and maybe this is what will follow"

"Officially the US have 3% homosexual population yet 30% of child abuse and paedophilia is committed by homosexuals who pick the same sex. 3% commit 30% . The state believes it owns your child and it will take him if wants. But you will see soon enough."

My FB is also home to quite a few aggressively anti-gay-marriage people. I'm sorry, you do not live in a part of the middle east controlled by IS. Therefor, what one specific religion has to say on the matter is really quite irrelevant. Yes, you may believe homosexuality is a sin. So is divorce. So don't do it. Feel free. That's absolutely no basis whatsoever to deny anyone else the freedom to divorce, marry the same sex, get drunk, eat meat on Friday, or half a dozen other things considered a sin by your religion.

So I've been arguing with this idiot online about homosexuality. They're very religious and say it's a sin and quoting Bible passages and such. They also threw out some statistics, like only 3% of North America is gay and that 30% of those people are pedophiles. Oh yeah, this guy also equated homosexuality with pedophilia. Because of course he does.

I've seen this 3% statistic used in arguments before. Where on earth does that come from? Or that 30% bullshit?

Ugh. I hate people sometimes. It's judgmental, close-minded bigots like them that are slowing progress in our society.

Some of these guy's quotes:

"Would you leave your son in a company of two homosexuals alone ? Would you take that risk ? I wouldn't. Soon the schools will be dressing your son into girly princess dresses, actually the idea is already there will you be happy about it ? Your son is going to be surrounded by gays as they aim now for corrupting education , if you disagree, the state will take your son away and adopt him to a nice homosexual couple and maybe this is what will follow"

"Officially the US have 3% homosexual population yet 30% of child abuse and paedophilia is committed by homosexuals who pick the same sex. 3% commit 30% . The state believes it owns your child and it will take him if wants. But you will see soon enough."
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhsr/nhsr077.pdf

As far as the 3%, this is probably the original source. No, gay people don't comprise the bulk of the population. That's what makes us minorities :p

Only 5% of the country identifies as Asian american and only 1.2% identify as Native American. That doesn't mean that they are any less entitled to the rights of every other citizen of the country.

As far as the 3%, this is probably the original source. No, gay people don't comprise the bulk of the population. That's what makes us minorities :p

Only 5% of the country identifies as Asian american and only 1.2% identify as Native American. That doesn't mean that they are any less entitled to the rights of every other citizen of the country.
Hmm. I'd always thought the estimate was about 1 in 10 people were LGBTQ.

If it weren't for the constitution and those unelected lawyers in the robes, any group under 50% of the population would have no rights. Tyranny of the masses.

So I just did the math. There's about 319 million people in the U.S. 3% of that is about 9.5 million.

That...actually sounds like a reasonable number. I think? I'm honestly not sure. Even still, it doesn't matter how many or little. They still deserve the same basic rights as everyone else.

I heard that now I'm forced to gay marry the next man I speak to, so to be sure I'm keeping my rebel flag customized AR-15 at the ready just in case some homo gay tries to make me into an abomination in the eyes of the Lord with his queer virus.

GasBandit

Staff member
I heard that now I'm forced to gay marry the next man I speak to, so to be sure I'm keeping my rebel flag customized AR-15 at the ready just in case some homo gay tries to make me into an abomination in the eyes of the Lord with his queer virus.
You haven't seen the leaked security footage? It's already begun! We're powerless to stop the gaypocalypse!

I'm really trying to make a joke about being angry the gays are stealing our women... somehow I know it's there but my brain is misfiring.

I'm all for this. Every person should have just as much right as the next to be unhappily married as the next person.... or you know, happily if that works out for you...

I spend every day hoping to god that my family doesn't post something stupid about gay marriage, because I really don't know if I could just ignore it like I do the rest of their nonsense.

To hear them tell it, the entire 3% lives right around them, like they somehow mistakenly bought a house right in the middle of the Rainbow Reservation and somehow didn't realize it.

Even prior to the SCOTUS decision, and even if it were true, I'm thinking there would have been clues.

--Patrick