VR Adventures

Oh, and along with the VR street view goggles, an exercise bike controller! I could VR ride a bike all over the globe while burning the flab. It will be a frozen image world, but whatever.

Dave

Staff member
Not sure if it will yet, but I think it's the perfect vehicle for it, if you'll excuse the pun.

Dave

Staff member
I took my Vive into work with me today & set it up for a bunch of people to try out. It was a full 15' x 15' play area and I got to experience full room scale for the first time. You know how going from computers to a sitting experience is so great and then from sitting to standing only is also great? Well, multiply that by a bunch and you have the next leap to room scale. It was pretty amazing.

I may have even sold a unit or two. I should get a referral bonus or something.

B

BErt

I know, I know, console peasant and all, but I just got the Playstation VR. I played Here They Lie and the RE7 demo and now I want to curl into a ball and cry.

...but it was REALLY cool revisiting Rez with the headset on. I'm excited for more.

Dave

Staff member
Okay, guys. Here's the HOLY SHIT update from Vive.

Wireless adapter ships Q2 and it'll only be $250.

Game changer right there.

And my garage is a fucking phenomenal Vive Cave...if it were heated. During the summer it's going to rock. Right now not so much. (I was going to buy a heater, but money is super tight right now thanks to the holidays and to the fact that I will only get 1/2 a paycheck this month.)

Dave

Staff member
They also announced a Tracker but the more I read about it the less I liked. Basically it's an attachment to physical objects that you can use in a game. So like a rifle or a baseball bat. Things like that. The item will be programmed into the game and when you put the tracker on it it will have physical properties in the game as well. But this also means that if you want to play more than one game in a session, you would have to stop, take off the headset, switch out the tracker, and then get back into the game. And you just know that games are going to require you to buy their piece of shit peripherals to go with their games. It's the Wii all over again.

But I can imagine Rock Band with this...

Other things they've touched on were built in headphones and haptic gloves. Very interesting stuff coming! Now all we need are AAA games.

Now all we need are AAA games.
Looking at what the indie community has been able to come up with for VR, and looking at the cavalcade of buggy shit that's been coming out of AAA game studios of late, I honestly think we'd be just fine without them.

Dave

Staff member
30 minutes left! If you have a Facebook account, enter to win a Vive right from Vive!

Link broken, but go to Facebook and search for the @viveport page.

Dave

Staff member
769 with 20 seconds left. How nice am I? I could have kept the odds ever in my favor.

And tomorrow will be ANOTHER drawing.[DOUBLEPOST=1483654038,1483653610][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh well. I didn't win. Nor did my daughter or her finance.

Dave

Staff member
Well this is certainly interesting. Here's the new tracker in action:

And the headstrap thing that I thought was just headphones? Nope. It's a whole new way of wearing it that looks amazing.

Hey, @Dave , have you seen this? Why VR arcades could be virtual reality's salvation.

I got to try out a Vive this weekend. Nebraska Furniture Mart has a demo setup. Stood on top of a mountain with a robot dog, 3D painted with Google, and defended a castle with a bow and arrow. Very, very cool. The feedback on the archery game was amazing, the controller vibration felt like actually drawing an arrow against a bow.

Most importantly, it didn't fuck with my eyes and give me a migraine like 3D glasses do. So we'll probably be getting one soon. :D

Dave

Staff member
Yeah, there are some big names getting involved with the building of arcades now, specifically branding VR machines into existing places. Because of various market pressures I've had to completely revamp my plan. Looking to do mobile gaming setups. Going to try and have something set up to demo at the College World Series.