Video Game News and Miscellany

New trailer for The Last of Us 2:

I haven't played the first one, almost certainly won't play the second one, but it still looks pretty interesting. This trailer really showcases the brutality of the setting.

Also apparently there's some kerfuffle about leaks, but I haven't been paying attention to that.

New trailer for The Last of Us 2:

I haven't played the first one, almost certainly won't play the second one, but it still looks pretty interesting. This trailer really showcases the brutality of the setting.

Also apparently there's some kerfuffle about leaks, but I haven't been paying attention to that.
So it turns out that man was the monster all along. Wow

I saw this poll on another site and was legitimately surprised at the results:

XvS.png

The results (so far) are much more dead even than I expected what with so many reported votes. No idea if there's any ballot-stuffing going on, though.

--Patrick

I can't imagine the Xbox has anything for me as someone who has an excellent gaming PC and a Switch. Unless Sony drops the ball hard, it's PS5 all the way.

I've never had a Playstation, but given the fact that I still want to play Persona 5 and Spider-Man (and also have a good PC and Switch), I might look into the 5.

So apparently Bethesda patched in Denuvo anti-cheat to Doom Eternal. Denuvo being a "ring 0" or kernel-level program, or something like that. I'm afraid I'm not technologically well-versed enough to say anything knowledgeable about it. But the hubub right now is that having this software on your computer could potentially give malicious parties very deep access to your system.

Anyway, just an FYI for anyone who wants to get Doom Eternal and hasn't yet.
It's likely Bethesda will have to issue a lot of refunds. Denuvo is a no-go for a lot of players for this exact reason.

Denuvo being a "ring 0" or kernel-level program, or something like that. I'm afraid I'm not technologically well-versed enough to say anything knowledgeable about it.
Operating at the kernel level means that it runs at such a low level that programs and even the operating system can't interact with or even see/detect it. This makes people (justifiably) nervous since it can't be seen/inspected, so you just have to trust them that it's not going to mess with your stuff.

--Patrick

So apparently Bethesda patched in Denuvo anti-cheat to Doom Eternal. Denuvo being a "ring 0" or kernel-level program, or something like that. I'm afraid I'm not technologically well-versed enough to say anything knowledgeable about it. But the hubub right now is that having this software on your computer could potentially give malicious parties very deep access to your system.

Anyway, just an FYI for anyone who wants to get Doom Eternal and hasn't yet.
Update to this, ID Software are removing Denuvo anti-cheat in the next update.

Let this be a lesson to us all: Whining works.

Though I'm still going to be wary of Bethesda and ID games from now on, now that I know they can pull shit like this.

Right into my veins. I spent quadrillions of hours playing these games on PC, then PS1 and then back on PC again. GIMME. Super stoked that Frank Klepaki is working on the music.

GasBandit

Staff member
"In 1995, Command and Conquer defined the RTS genre!"

"Am I a joke to you?" - Dune 2 (1992)
"Hey, me too!" Warcraft: Orcs and Humans (1994)

"In 1995, Command and Conquer defined the RTS genre!"

"Am I a joke to you?" - Dune 2 (1992)
"Hey, me too!" Warcraft: Orcs and Humans (1994)
I've played both the original Warcraft and Dune 2 (and the first, which was something completely different). Yes, they were both RTS's, but it's their respective successors that defined the genre for years /decades.

Sega, you...you didn't think this idea through, did you?

Splitting the games up, and pairing them to colors, is a major dick move. I'd happily buy the damn thing in the original black if I could get both the Sonic games and the Megami Tensei titles in one machine. My older brother had one of these as a kid and I adored it.

figmentPez

Staff member
Here's what I think they should have done: Partner with 8BitDo, make a GameGear shaped Bluetooth controller, and bundle it with the games to play on mobile or PC.

This news tells me Sega still hasn't learned a thing about what people want from their consoles. I mean, the Saturn and Dreamcast were both good pieces of hardware, but they didn't deliver what gamers wanted so they lost the console wars.

I'm laughing so hard:

BIG WINDOW
Yeah, and apparently you get the big window if you pay $250 for the 4-pack with all of them.

A Game Gear throwback thing isn't a terrible idea. Make it a reasonable size, improve the battery power so it's not draining 6 AAs in an hour, and give it a good roster of game. It should be simple.

An overpriced game platform with an insulting amount of games, with a dumb gimmick and overpriced, ridiculous peripherals?

Sega is BACK, BABY!

I was all set to pull the trigger on the C&C Remaster, BUT then I noticed that it will require Win8.1 or higher, and I haven't moved over from 7 to 8 yet.

--Patrick

New Win10 update is SUPERaggressive about pushing the NEW and IMPROVED Edge browser. As in, read the fine print or it'll copy all your bookmarks, set Edge to default, synchronise with gmail, send data back to Microsoft to "improve your experience", and so on and so forth.

Which reminds me, is there ANYONE, ANYONE AT ALL, who LIKES a start page to be a bloated mess of "selected for you" news and media instead of just a light smooth page to go off to your own selected bookmarks? Ugh.

One of the first things I do to any browser is set the home page to be about:blank.
Thanks for the heads up. I wish I could also brofist for Win 7 solidarity.
Make no mistake, Win8/10 are coming. My XP/7 machine's days are numbered, it's just a matter of which will happen first: Either it will take long enough for me to build a brand-new, modern Win10 system (probably based on Zen3/Ryzen4k once it's finally released), or else I'll finally take the "free" option and just Boot Camp my Mac Pro with Win8.1...which is something I've been planning to do anyway, the only real hurdle (and the reason I've been putting it off) is going to be getting my RX580 to work with Win8.1 since the RX580 is only officially supported under 7 & 10 but not 8. It can be done, but looks like it's a bit of a hassle. Plus having to migrate all my stuff over AGAIN, of course.

--Patrick

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
One of the first things I do to any browser is set the home page to be about:blank.

Make no mistake, Win8/10 are coming. My XP/7 machine's days are numbered, it's just a matter of which will happen first: Either it will take long enough for me to build a brand-new, modern Win10 system (probably based on Zen3/Ryzen4k once it's finally released), or else I'll finally take the "free" option and just Boot Camp my Mac Pro with Win8.1...which is something I've been planning to do anyway, the only real hurdle (and the reason I've been putting it off) is going to be getting my RX580 to work with Win8.1 since the RX580 is only officially supported under 7 & 10 but not 8. It can be done, but looks like it's a bit of a hassle. Plus having to migrate all my stuff over AGAIN, of course.

--Patrick

7uarter.png

From 35% to 25% over the last 12mo. Yes indeed, its days are numbered.
Heh Win8.1 still has a higher market share than macOS 10.14 Mojave. Didn't look where 10.15 Catalina falls, though.

--Patrick

So, the PS5 has been revealed.

Hardware Reveal

Spider-Man: Miles Morales

Ratchet & Clank Rifts Apart

Resident Evil 8

Horizon Zero Dawn 2

Bugsnax (from the Octodad developers)

Deathloop

Solar Ash

Little Devil Inside

NBA 2K1

Gran Turismo 7

Godfall

JETT: The Far Shore

Demon's Souls (remake?)

Kena: Bridge of Spirits

Oddworld Soulstorm

Sackboy A Big Adventure

Goodbye Volcano HIgh

Destruction All Stars

Returnal

GhostWire: Tokyo

Stray

I really didn't like the version with the disc drive and was kinda disappointed in it but the digital version isn't as bad and would likely be what I end up getting anyway of the two if I do buy. I almost never buy disc based games anymore, ever for my ps4.

Also I wouldn't say I like the digital design at all either, just a bit cleaner than the disc drive bersion without the drive slot but I don't really care when it's sitting on a shelf or, as is the case with my ps4, restrained hanging on the underside of my desk.

Last edited:
I really didn't like the version with the disc drive and was kinda disappointed in it but the digital version isn't as bad and would likely be what I end up getting anyway of the two if I do buy. I almost never buy disc based games anymore, ever for my ps4.
They haven't mentioned price point yet, but I've heard rumors the disc based one will have backwards capability beyond the PS4. If that turns out to be true, then I'll probably pay the premium price for it.