Video Game News and Miscellany

Not a Jesse Cox fan?
Honestly it wouldn't matter what shitty youtube/twitch personality. Some annoying gaming tuber is going to drag my ass kicking and screaming out of my immersion and enjoyment of fucking shit up in the future corporate hellscape.

I hate that he's playing himself apparently.

He showed up for a few episodes of Wil Wheaton's TableTop. He wasn't too overly annoying but I certainly wasn't inspired to go look for anything else he's done.

He's just the tip, apparently there are multiple gaming personalities playing themselves in the game and honestly that pisses me off. I don't want these real world disingenuous idiots in my future escapism anymore than I would have wanted fucking Angry Joe to show up in the Witcher.

Dave

Staff member
Not sure where this goes but it's big enough Twitch news that it certainly fits here. Dr. Disrespect has been banned and the rumor is it's for good. The REASON is what nobody knows right now. Well, someone knows but they ain't saying. It is noteworthy that they have been very cognizant of sexual harassment claims lately, but that's only speculation (by several sources).

He's just the tip, apparently there are multiple gaming personalities playing themselves in the game and honestly that pisses me off. I don't want these real world disingenuous idiots in my future escapism anymore than I would have wanted fucking Angry Joe to show up in the Witcher.
Is this a bad time to point out that both angry Joe and Jesse Cox appear in Witcher 3?

I should be more clear, I don't have a problem with dumb little parody cameos or whatever. That dumb shit's going to happen. I don't like it. I SUPER DON'T LIKE IT IN SOME MAJOR CASES (Jessica Chobot in ME3).

It's when quest giver Jesse Cox needs you to find out who hacked his Youtube channel or some shit that it really bugs me.

PS: It feels like even typing a fucking opinion on Youtubers is poison. I just got recommended ProJared shit on Youtube. God damn it algorithm.

GasBandit

Staff member
I can kinda dig where Frank is coming from. I was more miffed than I should have been by the Ed Sheeran (playing basically Ed Sheeran) cameo in Game of Thrones.

In retrospect, that was a tiny drop compared to the deluge of dipshittery that was to come, of course.

Did you like Thief and Thief 2?
Then you might like this upcoming game Gloomwood, too.

Available "soon."

--Patrick
Looks intriguing, but my favorite parts of Thief and Thief 2 were sneaking around knocking people out with my blackjack, and to be honest I didn't see much of that in the trailer.

GasBandit

Staff member
I've watched another video about Gloomwood, and you can do it either way. It's like Dishonored in that you can be super sneaky or you can just go loud and r0xx0r everybody.

It also has a free demo of the first level (which takes about 45 minutes) you can play to see if you like it without paying.

It starts around 8:22 in this double feature:

Amazon is going to produce a series based on the Fallout games.

Currently the expectation is that halfway through the first episode the whole thing will freeze, a plot-essential item will fail to spawn halfway through the series thus bringing the storyline to a halt, and the primary protagonist will accidentally phase through the terrain and end up falling through nothing for eternity.
I'll wait until the inevitable mods that improve the show.

GasBandit

Staff member
Satisfactory has, in one month on steam, sold 33% as many copies there as it has sold on Epic over an entire year.

360k copies on steam in one month. It took epic 3 months to reach 500k, and then another 9 to not quite double that number.

Consider also that "early access" games like this tend to get their big numbers early (at least until youtube/twitch personalities with large followings pick them up). We'll see if the trend continues, or bears out the normal curve.

Also, on an unrelated note, I thought it was interesting that the player character in Satisfactory is female - there's no choice in the matter. And laudably, nobody's making a stink about it - at least none that are paid any attention. Also, she got dat Dexter's Mom-butt going on. :D

Last edited:

You bitch about something enough and one day they may just make it a reality.

NOW, SEGA, BUNDLE THIS SHIT INTO A COLLECTION ON CONSOLE OR STEAM OR SOMETHING. I ainna want some dumb mini console.

It is nice that they're finally doing something with their legacy arcade titles.

Revenge of Death Adder is lowkey one of the best arcade beatemups out there. Branching path, gorgeous sprite work, etc.

fade

Staff member
I feel like Dark Souls pulled off one of the most successful marketing propaganda schemes ever. They managed to convince a bunch of fans that the single most frustrating feature of most video games was the core mechanic of their games, and that it was now somehow fun. Falling off the ledge a billion times in Megaman? Maddening. Same thing in a Souls game? Convince the customer this is how the game works and they won't get frustrated. Convince them it's challenging and not just infuriating. Make $$$, even though there's nothing fundamentally different about this concept.

GasBandit

Staff member
I feel like Dark Souls pulled off one of the most successful marketing propaganda schemes ever. They managed to convince a bunch of fans that the single most frustrating feature of most video games was the core mechanic of their games, and that it was now somehow fun. Falling off the ledge a billion times in Megaman? Maddening. Same thing in a Souls game? Convince the customer this is how the game works and they won't get frustrated. Convince them it's challenging and not just infuriating. Make $$$, even though there's nothing fundamentally different about this concept.

figmentPez

Staff member
The Steam client beta added Flick Stick style input support today. I'm not sure how many will find this interesting, but I think it's a really good thing for the future of gaming input.

What is Flick Stick? It's a new way to use an analog stick in conjunction with gryo for aiming in FPS games. (Linus Tech Tips did a video on it recently.) In short, the analog stick is set to handle solely horizontal movement. From a resting position the circle of the stick's movement becomes a horizontal plane relative to the current camera position. Up is the way you're currently facing. Left is 90° left, and down is a 180° about face. This allows for much faster and more flexible turning than more traditional stick camera controls. Vertical control, and finer horizontal control, are handled by gyro controls.

If I had a Dualshock 4, Switch Pro controller, or one of 8BitDo's offerings with gyro, I'd be really eager to test this out. (Technically I can with my Steam Controller, but it's not going to be the same thing, and I can already do fast 180°+ turns with ease.) I suspect that the learning curve is pretty steep, but the potential benefits over traditional analog stick aiming seem pretty big. The inventor, Jibb Smart, is reportedly working with an unnamed AAA developer to possibly implement it into console games.

GasBandit

Staff member
From the Canadian thread:

I remember Pontifex! I thought bridge builder games had seen a resurgence lately? Or is there something Pontifex did that the modern ones don't?
The only recent ones I've been able to find have been on mobile, and that doesn't interest me.