Video Game News and Miscellany

figmentPez

Staff member
A lot of news about Xbox Series X and Playstation 5 lately. My only response is: Shut up about teraflops and tell me about the controllers. The interface matters a lot more than the chipset.

Thus far? Microsoft is a blight on the gaming industry that needs to be purged.

Are game stores still a thing over there?

Here they transitioned to hardware stores a long time ago to survive, and then went online with that over the last decade+.

Ahh, no wonder it's already getting repacks on....sites.

I'm not too big to admit that my broke ass will be playing it this way later today.

You gotta download a huge amount of it too even if you buy the physical copy, because why should they shell out for a larger cart when you can.

figmentPez

Staff member
Watching videos of people playing around with the physics in Half-Life: Alyx is bringing back fond memories of futzing around with the physics in HL2.

Spoilered because the video ends with footage of an enemy in the game that Valve didn't show off in promotional footage. It doesn't show anything about the plot, but I still think this counts as a spoiler.

figmentPez

Staff member
Saints Row the Third Remastered is on it's way. It's got fancier lighting and explosions.

The bad parts:
  • Epic store exclusive on PC until 2021
  • 30 fps on consoles, even PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.
  • No new content.

GasBandit

Staff member
Saints Row the Third Remastered is on it's way. It's got fancier lighting and explosions.

The bad parts:
  • Epic store exclusive on PC until 2021
  • 30 fps on consoles, even PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.
  • No new content.
It even really begs the question, WHY? And why not SR2 remastered, which needed one WAY worse?

figmentPez

Staff member
The 30 fps cap leads me to believe that they ran into problems with the netcode and were getting crashes when co-op partners had too big a difference in their frame rates. (A problem that SR3 has always had on PC.)

That's being worked on by one or two people, and they're specifcially not calling it a remaster. It's just a patch for the PC version.
I'm hoping they'll at least include controller support for it. If I recall the last time I tried to play it, SR2 didn't work well with a controller (without a mod).

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm hoping they'll at least include controller support for it. If I recall the last time I tried to play it, SR2 didn't work well with a controller (without a mod).
The main guy working on the patch is IdolNinja, who made the Gentlemen of the Row mod, and better controller support has been mentioned as part of the patch.

figmentPez

Staff member
Ehhh... I'll take the original and >30 fps
The FPS situation isn't changing, and that's the disappointing part for consoles. Console versions of SR3 have always been 30fps, and the Remaster on the PC will have an unlocked frame rate (though it remains to be seen how good performance will be.)

If they were offering this as a free upgrade to existing owners, as so many other THQ Nordic remasters have been, I'd be really happy. But as an Epic store exclusive? It's just a novelty I'll watch burn from afar.