Video Game News and Miscellany

GasBandit

Staff member
I'd prefer that to hearing them talk about what they wanted to do to their avatars. Sexually.
Yeah, I tried playing League of Legends once as Janna instead of my usual Gangplank or Teemo... and the constant barrage of adolescent boys saying they wanted to fuck me was rather nonplussing. "You know I'm a 30 year old dude with a beard, right." (This was years ago)

Then they'd call me a fag for my champion being a hot girl when I was not a hot girl.

I leave the chat on and just ignore the toxic chatter.
It is far more entertaining to me to hear their screams of frustration at not being able to get my goat.
They try so hard, too.
No, the ones who get muted are the ones who come into the channel and talk constantly in Mickey Mouse voice, or who are eating/have their family bustling about in the background/fan noise with an open mic.

—Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
According to Tumblr, some Japanese gaming magazine in the 80s thought that Link from the Legend of Zelda was a redheaded female:

There's at least one bit of fanart:

But why hasn't this exploded more? I want memes! I want cosplay!

figmentPez

Staff member
TIL that Torchlight Frontiers, an upcoming MMO ARPG, is in alpha testing.

I want to be excited because I loved the previous Torchlight games, but at this stage it sounds like it still needs a lot of changes to be something I'd want to play.

SEGA has announced the Sega Genesis Mini. One actually made by SEGA, not by any cheap toy companies like some of the others on the market. It's scheduled to come out September 19th, it will have 40 games, and cost $80.

They have not announced the full roster of games yet, but some of the titles they have announced for it include:

Ecco the Dolphin
Castlevania: Bloodlines
Space Harrier 2
Shining Force
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
ToeJam and Earl
Comix Zone
Sonic the Hedgehog
Altered Beast
Gunstar Heroes

What utterly kills me about Anthem is that they had Destiny's example of bad loot drops and excessive loot grinding to learn from... AND DIDN'T. They had The Division's example of limited instances and awkward user interfaces to learn from... AND DIDN'T. Literally half the problems with the game were already major stumbling blocks for earlier games that had to be addressed, and they simply didn't because they had their heads too far up their own asses.

What utterly kills me about Anthem is that they had Destiny's example of bad loot drops and excessive loot grinding to learn from... AND DIDN'T. They had The Division's example of limited instances and awkward user interfaces to learn from... AND DIDN'T. Literally half the problems with the game were already major stumbling blocks for earlier games that had to be addressed, and they simply didn't because they had their heads too far up their own asses.
From the leaks and reports that have happened, people at Bioware weren't allowed to bring up the D words: Destiny, Division or Diablo. Because the upper management was in denial that their game was anything like those.

Dave

Staff member
Okay so this is interesting.More information is coming out about the Epic Store fiasco. That 12/88 split between Epic and the game companies? Going to be absorbed by the customers. They won't accept PayPal or pre-paid credit cards. The 12% cut for Epic is a mirage to get exclusives but fucks over the consumers.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/epic-store-and-12-cut.110333/

To reiterate, the Epic Store is anti-consumer and their downloaded platform is malware loaded with trackers. Got it.

Giant corporation doesn't give a fuck about consumers?

I am completely floored by this revelation.

Seriously, fuck Epic. Steam isn't without its own issues, but there's a reason why they have the monopoly.

GasBandit

Staff member
Seriously, fuck Epic. Steam isn't without its own issues, but there's a reason why they have the monopoly.
They earned it. There's no such thing as a steam exclusive, it has just often enough been the only one a game needed. They built out the infrastructure and features, they do the sales, they reformed many pirates and lowered the threshold to entry to many smaller devs who wouldn't have otherwise gotten a second glance from publishers.

Yes, as you say, Steam's got issues... but Epic isn't trying to outdo them by being a better platform. They're demonstrably worse in almost every way that matters to an end consumer.

GasBandit

Staff member
A new chaosbane video, detailing the Elven Waywatcher character, Elessa.

Ok, that's all fine and everything, but how many of her lines include the word "lumberfoot?" Does she have a scottish accent and acerbic, sarcastic tongue?

figmentPez

Staff member

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Pros: it's supposed to be a story-driven single-player game, and the trailer is pretty cool.

Cons: It's from EA bought out the studio and it's going to might have have monetized multi-player, so there's a strong chance the single-player is either an afterthought, or was will be drained by the parasite that is monetized multi-player.

Last edited:

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Pros: it's supposed to be a story-driven single-player game, and the trailer is pretty cool.

Cons: It's from EA and it's going to have monetized multi-player, so there's a strong chance the single-player is either an afterthought, or was drained by the parasite that is monetized multi-player.
They have already said no multiplayer, no microtransactions and no loot boxes?

https://www.polygon.com/2019/4/13/1...-respawn-ea-microtransactions-ps4-xbox-one-pc

“It’s a single-player story game,” Zampella said as the crowd watching live cheered. “Yeah. No multiplayer, no microtransactions …” he added as the crowd cheered louder. “It’s a story game!” (See timestamp 5:04:29 below.)
Whether that stays the case in the next 6 months is maybe another story.

figmentPez

Staff member
They have already said no multiplayer, no microtransactions and no loot boxes?

https://www.polygon.com/2019/4/13/1...-respawn-ea-microtransactions-ps4-xbox-one-pc

Whether that stays the case in the next 6 months is maybe another story.
I was going by this headline that was going around: Jedi: Fallen Order may have monetized multiplayer

Which is just an opinion piece, but it's being quoted as if it's true. They do make a good point about EA having purchased Respawn, and that EA loves microtransactions.