Video Game News and Miscellany

Only corrected you because I didn't want you to check it out with the wrong idea and be disappointed.

As imaginative as the 40k universe is, much of it lacks personality. You can see this in Space Marine--the characters are pretty dull. The first Dawn of War did a good job making a compelling protagonist with a back story. Largely, the lore is most interesting. A lot of the writers for 40k stories seem to think the fans are all followers of Khorne.

I am the Hammer!
I am the point of His spear!
I am the mail about His fist!
I am the bane of His foes and the woes of the treacherous!
I am the end!

We're also getting a Space Hulk game (based on the fantastic 40k game of the same title). It's shaping up to be pretty decent as well.

There was also a decently fun twin-stick Space Marine arcade shooter based on Space Hulk that came out for Xbox Live and I think Steam and PSN also and is like $10.

Dawn of War (the first) was downright spectacular. A must-play for RTS fans. And thanks to things they tried out in DoW that worked, we got Company of Heroes.

Maybe that's why I've never really heard of solid 40k games, I don't play RTSs.
By far most of the Warhammer and Warhammer 40k games are RTSs, so that would probably be it. About the only ones that aren't are....

- Space Marine (A decent 3rd person action game)
- Kill Team (the 360 Arcade/PSN one. It's fun and feels a bit like gauntlet.)
- Warhammer Online (It's fun... for awhile. But the classes are completely unbalanced in the end game and server populations are crazy.)

GasBandit

Staff member
I remember when warhammer online was announed I about creamed my jeans.

Then I read further and said, "Oh. Warhammer FANTASY? Not 40k? Oh. Ok then. I guess."

I would probably like Warhammer Fantasy a lot more if Games Workshop actually made games for it. The last one didn't get any kind of press at all.

So, some fellow on Reddit put this together to show what one year of Playstation Plus (50 dollar subscription) is worth in free games (that you get to keep for as long as you remain a subscriber).

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1dlqok/what_does_one_full_year_50_of_playstation_plus/

So....why do people pay for XBL Gold? Oh, that's right, party chat. That's worth the cost and the outrageous advertising Microsoft does.

PlatformTypeRatingGame
PS3 Retail 92 (80) Super Street Fighter IV (Arcade Edition)
PS3 Retail 91 Little Big Planet 2
PS3 Retail 89 Demon’s Souls
PS3 Retail 88 BioShock 2
PS3 Retail 84 Vanquish
PS3 Retail 84 Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition
PS3 Retail 83 Sleeping Dogs
PS3 Retail 83 Borderlands
PS3 Retail 83 inFAMOUS 2
PS3 Retail 83 Just Cause 2
PS3 Retail 82 Darksiders
PS3 Retail 82 Saints Row 2
PS3 Retail 77 Spec Ops: The Line
PS3 Retail 77 King of Fighters XIII
PS3 Retail 70 Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One
PS3 Retail 70 Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
PS3 & Vita PSN (new) - Zombie Tycoon 2: Brainhov's Revenge
PS3 & Vita PSN 79 Knytt Undergroud
PS3 & Vita PSN 78 Retro City Rampage
PS3 & Vita PSN - Foosball 2012
PS3 PSN (new) 73 Double Dragon Neon
PS3 PSN 91 Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
PS3 PSN 84 Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
PS3 PSN 84 The Walking Dead (Ep. 1 & 2)
PS3 PSN 82 Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown
PS3 PSN 81 Closure
PS3 PSN 80 Renegade Ops
PS3 PSN 80 Dungeon Defenders
PS3 PSN 80 NFL Blitz
PS3 PSN 79 Quantum Conundrum
PS3 PSN 79 Rochard
PS3 PSN 78 Anomaly: Warzone Earth
PS3 PSN 78 Joe Danger 2: The Movie
PS3 PSN 78 Mega Man 10
PS3 PSN 77 Mega Man 9
PS3 PSN 77 Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
PS3 PSN 77 Starhawk (single-player ONLY)
PS3 PSN 76 Hard Corps: Uprising
PS3 PSN 76 Guardians of Middle Earth
PS3 PSN 73 Sideway: New York
PS3 PSN 73 The Cave
PS3 PSN 72 Gotham City Imposters
PS3 PSN 71 Choplifter HD
PS3 PSN 70 PAYDAY: The Heist
PS3 PSN 69 Bloodrayne Betrayal
PS3 PSN 68 Labyrinth Legends
PS3 PSN 67 Zombie Apocalypse: Never Die Alone
PS3 PSN 67 Malicious
Vita Retail 83 Gravity Rush
Vita Retail 83 BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend
Vita Retail 80 Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Vita Retail 79 WipEout 2048
Vita Retail 78 Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention
Vita Retail 72 Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
Vita PSN (new) 75 Jet Set Radio
Vita PSN (new) 44 Chronovolt
Vita PSN 86 Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
Vita PSN 79 The Pinball Arcade
Vita PSN 77 Plants vs. Zombies
Smaller PlatformsRatingGame
PSP 88 Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
PSP 82 Tekken 6
PSP 80 SoulCalibur: Broken Destiny
PSP 79 Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
PS One Classic - International Track and Field
PS One Classic - Hot Shots Golf 2
PS Mini - Ronnie O'Sullivan's Snooker
PS Mini - Farm Frenzy 2
PS Mini - Kaleidoscope

figmentPez

Staff member
Plants Vs Zombies 2 has been announced. The teaser trailer is funny, but shows nothing of gameplay, or even any characters, art or anything.

They probably didn't release any details or info so Zynga or someone else wouldn't try to take those elements and make a faster, cheaper game. Seriously, the mobile market is brutal.

Seriously, y'all know that EA wholly owns Popcap, right?

The guys publishing PvZ2 are the same guys who are going to ruin Star Wars games.

Seriously, y'all know that EA wholly owns Popcap, right?

The guys publishing PvZ2 are the same guys who are going to ruin Star Wars games.
I personally feel that Zynga is worse than EA. At least EA doesn't steal from their competitors and then try to sue them out of existence. EA is responsible for a lot of awful shit but Zynga is actually worse.

I personally feel that Zynga is worse than EA. At least EA doesn't steal from their competitors and then try to sue them out of existence. EA is responsible for a lot of awful shit but Zynga is actually worse.
Sure, but it's not Zynga that has the Star Wars license (thank FSM).

It's not all bad news:
EA studios DICE (Battlefield) and Visceral (Dead Space) will both make new games in the popular sci-fi franchise, and BioWare (Star Wars: The Old Republic) will "continue" to work on Star Wars games.

Good gods, Club Nintendo is worthless if you have a 3DS and not a Wii. Last month, Wii got Super Metroid and Mario 64, while 3DS got 3D shovelware. This month Wii gets Super Mario RPG, 3DS gets ... more shovelware! And Excitebike. Which I don't care about.

I doubt it. Disney is going to want those games on as many services as they can get. If anything, it might mean Disney could force them to sell TOR on Steam.

Ubisoft acting like a vindictive ex-girlfriend lately.

Patrice Desilets (Creative director of Assassin's Creed 1 and 2) and Jean-Francois Boivin (Lead producer of Asscreed 1 and 2) both left Ubisoft after AC2 to form the THQ Montreal studio. After THQ's destruction and gutting, the Montreal studio was bought by Ubisoft who have now fired Desilets and Boivin (while keeping all the work they've apparently done on the two new IPs). Scuttlebutt is it's because Ubisoft purchased the studio to work on Asscreed stuff again and these two wouldn't play ball, so out they go with nothing to show for the last few years of work.

Actiblizzard lays out their 2013 offerings. They really have distilled their output down to their milking moneymakers. I dunno, they do well, but this kind of strategy has already killed off formerly successful IPs like Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk.

GasBandit

Staff member
As the man said in Tasteful, Understated Nerdrage, the huge companies pretty much have to play everything as safe as possible -and that means milking proven moneymakers.

Ubisoft acting like a vindictive ex-girlfriend lately.

Patrice Desilets (Creative director of Assassin's Creed 1 and 2) and Jean-Francois Boivin (Lead producer of Asscreed 1 and 2) both left Ubisoft after AC2 to form the THQ Montreal studio. After THQ's destruction and gutting, the Montreal studio was bought by Ubisoft who have now fired Desilets and Boivin (while keeping all the work they've apparently done on the two new IPs). Scuttlebutt is it's because Ubisoft purchased the studio to work on Asscreed stuff again and these two wouldn't play ball, so out they go with nothing to show for the last few years of work.
That's quite the act of desperation. And you can see why--Ubisoft has no idea what to do with the franchise right now.