Video Game News and Miscellany

figmentPez

Staff member
Twitch updates sexual content guidelines amid ‘topless’ meta backlash

TL;DR at least one streamer got banned for being topless during a stream (with the camera cutting off above her nipples), and now Twitch has modified it's content guidelines. You still can't show female presenting nipples on a human, but you can now show fictional nipples in drawings and games if they're not in a sexual context, and the stream is appropriately tagged/categorized. You can also do body painting, write on body parts, and erotic dancing / strip-teases provided you don't take off too much (though it's unclear to me if you're still prohibited from taking "bits" in exchange for doing so). They're also limiting what types of streams can be recommended on the front page.

Prepare for lots of toxic masculinity temper tantrums in response.

figmentPez

Staff member
Twitch updates sexual content guidelines amid ‘topless’ meta backlash

TL;DR at least one streamer got banned for being topless during a stream (with the camera cutting off above her nipples), and now Twitch has modified it's content guidelines. You still can't show female presenting nipples on a human, but you can now show fictional nipples in drawings and games if they're not in a sexual context, and the stream is appropriately tagged/categorized. You can also do body painting, write on body parts, and erotic dancing / strip-teases provided you don't take off too much (though it's unclear to me if you're still prohibited from taking "bits" in exchange for doing so). They're also limiting what types of streams can be recommended on the front page.

Prepare for lots of toxic masculinity temper tantrums in response.
And Twitch is already rolling back those changes.

Twitch Rolls Back Community Guidelines Changes.jpg

figmentPez

Staff member
The first 11 minutes of this video show the crazy stuff that's possible in Super Mario Maker. It's a Mission Impossible themed level with stealth mechanics, that starts to play the MI theme whenever you trip the security system.

"Improved melee combat" ...so, melee combat.
"New materials" ...more branches to the tech tree.
I want to know about the QoL changes, and the netcode. How about them?

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
"Improved melee combat" ...so, melee combat.
"New materials" ...more branches to the tech tree.
I want to know about the QoL changes, and the netcode. How about them?

--Patrick
I'd settle for an NPC faction worth fighting. The biggest problem with Empyrion is it had no endgame beyond PVP, and its barebones standard Unity implementation didn't have what it took to maintain low latency high bandwidth communication dynamics required for endgame-level PVP.

So really, all I hope for in this expansion is an enemy faction that is more than just thinly-disguised community content with a coat of paint and basic "aim at the player, accelerate, and fire weapons" combat code.

figmentPez

Staff member
Capcom is adding DRM to old games, breaking mods and Steam Deck compatibility

Users review bombed Resident Evil Revelations, causing Capcom to back down and remove the DRM from that game, but it's not clear if they're going to remove the DRM from any of the other games they've done this to.

Speculation is that Capcom is doing this because they hate mods, and the recent incident of a nude mod being accidentally shown at a Street Fighter tournament may have been the last straw for them.

Other games that are rumored to have been updated with DRM include: Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection, Mega Man Battle Network Legacy Collection, Ghost Trick, Resident Evil 5, and Street Fighter Anniversary.

Capcom can absolutely get fucked with this shit.

New intrusive DRM being added to almost their entire current back library by an incredibly shady company.

I instantly uninstalled SF6 and Capcom gets added to the fucking list (I don't think there's a major publisher left not on the list)

Heard about this. The biggest complaint seems to be that existing owners of the games are going to get "updates" so they won't have to miss out on the DRM, kind of like how HP does with printers.

--Patrick

It was the first MMO I ever played. I'm sure I'll get back into it and see if it has some of the big changes that happened right at the end that made me rage quit :D

Neat! Although, in the video, he said the game was losing money and that's not true. By all accounts, they were in the black. They just weren't making ENOUGH money for the publisher, especially where they didn't do well in Asian markets.

I played Homecoming a few years ago, back when it was just Paragon Chat, when it was basically a glorified chat server. I dipped Doug the Troll's stinky feet back into the waters of the game. I tried it again a few years later, when they added combat and mission back into the game. It was fun enough, but it didn't really reignite the old magic for me.

Still, I'm gonna install it tonight and give it another go. I'll pop in Discord if anyone wants to join me.

Been playing ever since they first opened up the server to the public several years back. I was aware of the secret server while it was up and was even invited at one point, but they never got back to me about it. I believe there may have been some drama between me and one of the people involved that nixed that invite after it was given.

EDIT: This video has no idea what as actually happening from the game's closing (and WHY it was closing, it was closed because NCSoft didn't want to finance two games in the US market and Guild Wars 2 was newer). They didn't "find" the code. The code was taken by a (currently unnamed) Paragon Studios employee from the studio office before it closed and a private server has been running in some form or another since 2013.

Last edited:
Neat! Although, in the video, he said the game was losing money and that's not true. By all accounts, they were in the black. They just weren't making ENOUGH money for the publisher, especially where they didn't do well in Asian markets.

I played Homecoming a few years ago, back when it was just Paragon Chat, when it was basically a glorified chat server. I dipped Doug the Troll's stinky feet back into the waters of the game. I tried it again a few years later, when they added combat and mission back into the game. It was fun enough, but it didn't really reignite the old magic for me.

Still, I'm gonna install it tonight and give it another go. I'll pop in Discord if anyone wants to join me.
Well, I farted around in Atlas Park for awhile with Doug. Didn't go on any missions or anything. Just some Doug hijinx mostly to entertain myself. I miss the days when other people would fart around in the game and have dance parties or costume contests in Atlas Park. That doesn't seem to be a thing anymore.

Well, I farted around in Atlas Park for awhile with Doug. Didn't go on any missions or anything. Just some Doug hijinx mostly to entertain myself. I miss the days when other people would fart around in the game and have dance parties or costume contests in Atlas Park. That doesn't seem to be a thing anymore.
Which server? On Excelsior there were about 50 people just hanging under Atlas when I was there earlier. Someone calling out that if you went and hug emoted them they'd give 2 million influence, lots of people spamming super group invites.

All of them were yellow pop earlier today, just jumping on now and Excelsior is the only one that's red.

1705538597178.png

Last edited:
Which server? On Excelsior there were about 50 people just hanging under Atlas when I was there earlier. Someone calling out that if you went and hug emoted them they'd give 2 million influence, lots of people spamming super group invites.
I'm on Torchbearer with Doug. I haven't created any other characters yet.

Reactions: Far
Some big game trailers dropped today during XBox Direct 2024.

Avowed

Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2

Visions of Mana

Ara: History Untold

Indiana Jones and the Great Circle

GasBandit

Staff member
So basically...Ünderwatch?

--Patrick
Ehhh, more like "Left 4 Rats."

IE, I expect it to be the Left 4 Dead "try to stop the humans, then swap teams and see who makes it further" formula rather than any kind of objective-based team deathmatch a-la Overwatch.