Video Game News and Miscellany

Well, duh. I’m sure each of those 10 people did at least 80x more for the company than any of those guys who got laid off, right?

—Patrick

I knew this was coming. Activision has been slowly exerting more control over its assets for the last year. Bungie was able to escape because they didn't let Activision buy them outright, instead doing a sort of partnership, but other companies have not been so lucky.

I knew shit was getting real when Activision forced out Mike Morhaime from Blizzard. They make it out like he was retiring of course but you could see it on his face at BlizzCon that he didn't want to go (it's why he is staying around as a consultant.) Of course once J. A. B took over as head they quietly removed "President and CEO" from the job title and and now it's just "President". Mike Morhaime was a staunch advocate of keeping Blizzard autonomous which is why he kept himself CEO of Blizzard, and making choices like removing unpopular features or even outright canceling games that didn't live up to standards.

The layoffs are just icing on the shit cake. Blizzard says all their layoffs were support and not dev staff, but it's still baloney when you are having a record year of profits.

I am really starting to hate anything regarding executive culture or venture capitalism. I see so many companies go over how much fucking money they make but then they have to cut jobs or adjust features because "growth" isn't where it needs to be. I am dealing with that right now on Patreon because they keep making it out like they don't make enough money, when their entire business is basically taking a cut of the money from content other people develop. But nope, they were invested in by "venture capitalists" that want to see growth and high returns, so they are struggling and hint they need to develop new "monetary features" to make ends meet.

It's that shit that leads to people like Bobby Kotick tooting his own damn horn on all those records profits while then firing hundreds of employees because investors want more returns. You all know a lot of this is due to the Bungie loss too. Investors are going to see a loss of millions in possible revenue / profits from that split and so they are going to make up the future loss by restructuring all the other companies to cost less.

I am also one of those who will never understand the mentality that says you can't ever plateau, plateauing is Death, and that if you're not constantly fighting/straining to beat last year's numbers in EVERYTHING then you might as well just kill yourself because you're a waste of protein.

--Patrick

Last edited:
The utter implausibility of "infinite growth" should be immediately obvious to even those with the most rudimentary education in mathematics.
The supply side is finite. The demand side is finite. Ergo, it is objectively impossible to achieve infinite growth.

--Patrick

The utter implausibility of "infinite growth" should be immediately obvious to even those with the most rudimentary education in mathematics.
The supply side is finite. The demand side is finite. Ergo, it is objectively impossible to achieve infinite growth.

--Patrick
AND YET

Did they even have anything planned outside of mobile Diablo anyways?
Hmm. A new console release of Call of Duty their CFO described as "the best Call of Duty ever built," an eSports Call of Duty league, and a mobile-based Call of Duty game developed by China's Tencent, who also says they are going to work to try to further monetize their eSports properties.

...so no, I guess they didn't really have anything planned.

--Patrick

Hmm. A new console release of Call of Duty their CFO described as "the best Call of Duty ever built," an eSports Call of Duty league, and a mobile-based Call of Duty game developed by China's Tencent, who also says they are going to work to try to further monetize their eSports properties.

...so no, I guess they didn't really have anything planned.

--Patrick
But that isn't Blizzard. :p

But that isn't Blizzard. :p
Ya I honestly hated it when Activision changed their public name to "Activision Blizzard". They just wanted to feed off Blizzards popularity even though Blizzard itself is a subordinate company. It's like if EA changed their name to "Electronic Arts Bioware".

That's easy enough to make happen, all we have to do is STOP BUYING ACTIVISION GAMES.

"But... but... call of duty! Shiny!" - average gamer
I can't remember the last time I bought an activision game that wasn't Blizzard. And I've even quit blizzard games.

(though I know this won't stop the rest of the 'gamer' population that loves CoD)

"But... but... call of duty! Shiny!" - average gamer
I teach 12-14 year olds; can confirm.

They are dimly aware of anything outside of their immediate bubble, so they don't know a thing about layoffs, microtransactions, creative bankruptcy, etc. They just see some new game come out and have their parents buy it so they can play it instead of doing their fucking homework.

I would LOVE to know how much RAM usage he has going on in his 24GB of free memory. Is this really aggressive unloading? Or is it just that the game is that much of a RAM hog and has to keep swapping?

--Patrick

Apparently it has to load ALL of the game assets every time it hits a loading screen, which takes (apparently) a really long time. Folk are bitching all around about Anthem's load times.