Video Game News and Miscellany

GasBandit

Staff member
I actually really liked the 3D in Ocarina of Time. It never hurt my eyes or made me dizzy, so maybe we just have differing thresholds for 3D comfort. I can turn the slider nearly all the way up without ever feeling any eyestrain.

My number one complaint is that turning on the 3D turns off the anti-aliasing. Why can't we have both :(
Probably processing power limitations. 3D being on means the handheld must render 2 frames simultaneously instead of just one... doing AA on them would probably bog down the weedy little nintendo processors.

Soooo.....They translated the whole game into English, it was practically a finished product with just some testing and QA to be done and some marketing, yet they never released it?
Do these people ever even read any gaming media except what's put out by the big corporations themselves? I'm pretty sure that you'd sell half a million or more copies at full retail price, even if you didn't do any QA or testing or graphical upgrades, even in this day and age.

Soooo.....They translated the whole game into English, it was practically a finished product with just some testing and QA to be done and some marketing, yet they never released it?
Do these people ever even read any gaming media except what's put out by the big corporations themselves? I'm pretty sure that you'd sell half a million or more copies at full retail price, even if you didn't do any QA or testing or graphical upgrades, even in this day and age.
In their defense, this was back in 1991. It wasn't a firmly established brand name in the US yet, and they wanted to focus all their efforts on the upcoming SNES ports. It's obviously a mistake in hindsight, but I can understand why they made those decisions at the time.

In their defense, this was back in 1991. It wasn't a firmly established brand name in the US yet, and they wanted to focus all their efforts on the upcoming SNES ports. It's obviously a mistake in hindsight, but I can understand why they made those decisions at the time.
I can see why they chose to do so at the time. But remakes of FF games have been eternal demands of Western fans of the series, and if you've already done most of the work, it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense not to go through with it. They could easily have released some retextured version of it in 2001 for a 10 year special or something. It could've been a horrible port or whatever, and it wouldn't have sold 10 million units, perhaps - but games didn't need to at the time.
Deciding not to throw good money after bad and inveting on the SNES port is a defensible position. Not continuining this work and releasing it a few years later seems a huge waste of effort as well as bad reading of the fanbase to me.

The guy selling it, Frank Cifaldi, ran lostlevels.org and currently works for Gamasutra. He's basically responsible for tons and tons of super rare games getting rom dumped. Hell, I think you can download the rom of that cartridge on Lost Levels still.[DOUBLEPOST=1345630614][/DOUBLEPOST]
I can see why they chose to do so at the time. But remakes of FF games have been eternal demands of Western fans of the series, and if you've already done most of the work, it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense not to go through with it. They could easily have released some retextured version of it in 2001 for a 10 year special or something. It could've been a horrible port or whatever, and it wouldn't have sold 10 million units, perhaps - but games didn't need to at the time.
Deciding not to throw good money after bad and inveting on the SNES port is a defensible position. Not continuining this work and releasing it a few years later seems a huge waste of effort as well as bad reading of the fanbase to me.
The NES game had a tiny fanbase, same with the SNES ones. RPGs didn't pop in the west until FF7. At the time of deciding to move onto the 16 bit consoles, Square was still a tiny company. The wouldn't have the manpower to spend updating old NES games with perfectly good SNES games ready to go and seeing as none of the games have continuity, what did it matter?

They did remake it in the US in 2003 as part of Origins on the PS1, and then again in 2004 for the GBA, and then for the PSP in 2007, and then for iOS in 2010.

We've seen this game before, just not in the "pure" unreleased form that the yahoo article is talking about.

Also, the translation on the NES version was apparently really, REALLY shitty. It was only a rough build, not ready for release.

It's not surprising this happened ether: Mother 1 was fully translated and ready for production when Nintendo dropped the project as well. Everyone wanted to focus on the Super Nintendo.

Played that earlier. Good fun and has me itching for more Borderlnds. Very stoked for the next one.

The only thing I feel they REALLY need to drop in the movie are the huge exposition dumps that Kojima is famous for. You will NOT have the average movie goer sit through a 5 minute presentation on the hows and whys of Snake's existence and the genetic process used to make him.

That being said, I really hope they don't lose the overall anti-nuclear weapon message (though I'm proud of Kojima for admitting that they may be necessary for some countries/groups to exist in Peace Walker.)

Steam Greenlight is out. Cool idea, don't know if I'd participate, but I like that people can. If it really does improve the chances of games distributed through Steam, awesome.

Bastion goes iOS. I have played it, and it is good. The new controls are very manageable and comfortable.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/29/bastion-comes-to-ipad

Avi Arad to produce Metal Gear Solid movie.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/30/metal-gear-movie-announced
Can't wait to see how it gets cocked up.

I notice one thing I hate about video game to film adaptations is when the moviemakers feel the need to shoehorn in "game" bits, like the first-person segment of Doom or the "Game Over" from Street Fighter. I expect we'll see Solid Snake running around in a cardboard box for no other reason than it was in the game and the scene will not serve the story whatsoever.

Preordered on PC just so I can get the Mechanomancer for free when the class is introduced.... the games industry has once again made me it's bitch.

Also, Torchlight 2 release date announced: September 20th.

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is being delayed 2 months to go over it's bugs with a fine toothed comb. I am perfectly alright with this. Hey Bethesda, THIS.

Meh, Skyrim was fine. It's the patches they rushed to appease the few that screwed up for the many.

Nonetheless Bethesda's QA is the worst part of that company.

I tried starting a new Skyrim game last night as a nord only to discover the first person camera for nords is bugged and makes me feel like a midget. Totally killed the immersion for me. Unless of course it gives me the option to play as a midget on purpose and I can name the character Tyrion Lannister.

I tried starting a new Skyrim game last night as a nord only to discover the first person camera for nords is bugged and makes me feel like a midget. Totally killed the immersion for me. Unless of course it gives me the option to play as a midget on purpose and I can name the character Tyrion Lannister.
I have this problem playing as a High Elf. I'm a full head taller than everyone else, yet my camera is at the same level.

Skyrim had its share of bugs... heck some of my real problems came AFTER they rushed out a patch that borked my game. But it was no way shape or form as bad as New Vegas.

Skyrim had its share of bugs... heck some of my real problems came AFTER they rushed out a patch that borked my game. But it was no way shape or form as bad as New Vegas.
Obsidian developed New Vegas, but Bethesda were the ones handling the QA. The didn't give enough of a shit to do a good job. Game shipped with bugs, sold well, they didn't have to pay the bonuses to Obsidian because of the 1 point under 85 metacritic.

I didn't play it between the "the patch to screw them all" and the patch following, so I missed out on all the backwards flying dragon fun.