Video Game News and Miscellany

GasBandit

Staff member
The acting went up a notch in Soul Reaver, SR2, and Defiance. Blood Omen 2 was a bizarre experiment that didn't feel like Legacy of Kain and took way too much from the concept art of a canceled Chakan The Forever Man game. The character design was ridiculous - the Sarafan Vampire Hunters later in the game are dressed like fetish nun/dominatrixes for absolutely no reason. Seriously.
#butterface

Sega is bringing old games to mobile:

https://thenextweb.com/gaming/2017/06/21/sega-retro-games-android-ios/#.tnw_w7bQgAxJ

http://forever.sega.com/games

Sega promises the Forever collection will start rolling out globally over the next 24 hours – so you will have to wait until June 22 to get the games. You can find the first batch of retro classics from the links below:

GasBandit

Staff member
I hope it goes well for them. I mean, I can play all those on an emulator on my PC (and I have, many, many times) but I'd like to see more of the good games of that era find new success on new platforms. The Phantasy Star series was one of my favorite RPGs growing up. It might be heresy, but I think I liked them even better than the Final Fantasy series.

GasBandit

Staff member
Looks beautiful.

Is the game any good? What's your 2-5 minute review of it?
This game is an awesomely immersive (single player only) aquatic survival experience (which also supports VR) - or perhaps even survival horror, given the terrors that lurk in the deep places of the world - that is beautiful and intuitive and has a compelling narrative while maintaining sandbox playstyle appeal. It's like, minecraft or space engineers, underwater, with a storyline/quest to survive and escape the planet upon which your ship has crashed. If only the game ITSELF wouldn't crash/bog down so much. It's still early access, so things are still being added. Not even all the art assets are in yet, and the game story is, as yet, uncompletable, but the sandbox elements alone keep a LOT of people enthralled despite the bugs. I've already bought it, and after playing for 44 hours, I'm waiting for the release version to get back into it deeply (no pun intended).

Here's a short clip of me playing, the first time I saw a Reaper Leviathan.

GasBandit

Staff member
So it's like if Sunless Sea was a vehicular simulation instead of an RPG?
Well, it's not quite as bleak and lovecraftian as sunless sea. Parts of it are beautiful and sunny, parts of it are sleek and shiny and futuristic. But parts of it are also OHMYGODWHATISTHATNOISE ITSGONNAEATME ITSGONNAEATME ITSGONNAEATME

Basically, the parts near the surface are like a virtual Caribbean vacation. The parts below the depth where you get sunlight get eerie. The parts in the deep open abyss where the leviathans roam is sheer terror.

Also the vast majority of the game takes place deep underwater. Scuba gear, submersible craft, you can even build a full sized submarine (the aforementioned Cyclops).

I do kinda wish there were a few more above water locations to explore. Right now, there are only 2 islands, I think.

Also, it bugs me you can't see either mountainous island in the distance like you can the Aurora.

GasBandit

Staff member
I do kinda wish there were a few more above water locations to explore. Right now, there are only 2 islands, I think.

Also, it bugs me you can't see either mountainous island in the distance like you can the Aurora.
Yeah, they use the clipping plane to create an illusion of greater distance.

I'd just like to chime in to say I love Subnautica, absolutely love it, and I'd totally be playing the new update if I wasn't engrossed with Fallout 4 right now.

Now if you'll excuse me, another settlement needs my help.

fade

Staff member
And of course, it takes very little technical know-how to set up a $5 Pi Zero to do the same thing.

Probably because they know the first run is going to all be snapped up by scalpers and bots for later eBay/Craigslist shenanigans. It's why AMD's Vega cards are MSRP'd at 1200 out of the box...because they know the cryptocurrency folks are going to buy up the entire run anyway no matter where they set the price. End users aren't going to see any until after the mining crowd has moved on and then the secondhand market is going to see a glut of thousands of cards that've all been overclocked within an inch of their life for the 400 or so straight days it took for them to become obsolete.

--Patrick

Jeez, I see they upped the price too for no real reason. Literally no reason other than greed.
There's no way I'll be paying $80 (canadian will prolly be higher) for a retro console from 25 years ago with 1 controller and 20 games that i can't even choose. Have of them are junk.

If I ever get my hands on that, 2 controllers is a must and most importantly some type of usb drive i can plug in and hack the console to play the 700+ games in the snes library + whatever has been translated.

There's no way I'll be paying $80 (canadian will prolly be higher) for a retro console from 25 years ago with 1 controller and 20 games that i can't even choose. Have of them are junk.

If I ever get my hands on that, 2 controllers is a must and most importantly some type of usb drive i can plug in and hack the console to play the 700+ games in the snes library + whatever has been translated.
I looked over the list, and it's shorter to list the games that I do NOT have already:
Contra III: The Alien Wars
Star Fox 2
Super Castlevania IV
Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts
Super Punch-Out!!

Ya. I literally have every other one of those games already, and except for Earthbound and the Kirby ones, I have the cartridges (Earthbound = Virtual console, Kirby = in the compilation for Wii they released a few years ago). And yes, my SNES still works, and I even got extension cables a few years back so I can play from my couch 100% no problem.

Why would I buy this? The only ones I'm even somewhat interested in are... well none of them. I've heard great things about Castlevania IV, but I never "got" into the series, so I see no reason.

It comes with two controllers. I'm also sure somebody will hack it two month after release via the usb mini port.

Still, that price is a little bit higher than expected. I got a NES mini but I don't think I get a SNES mini if it cost 80 Euro.

Actually read an accountant's take on this somewhere in the NeoGaf thread about that where he talks about how with the weakness of the GBP that it's a pretty smart move and doesn't really indicate that they're in financial trouble.

GasBandit

Staff member
Actually read an accountant's take on this somewhere in the NeoGaf thread about that where he talks about how with the weakness of the GBP that it's a pretty smart move and doesn't really indicate that they're in financial trouble.
I am not an accountant, but it seems to me that paying interest on a six or seven figure balance is not a good idea unless you think the GBP is going to get a whole lot weaker in a great big hurry. If it is going to stay where it is or get stronger, you're just pissing away money. In fact, if it is weak now but is going to get stronger later, this would be the best time to convert some of the foreign currency they claim to have stashed.

I guess maybe they're banking on Brexit completely annihilating the UK's economy.