Video Game News and Miscellany

While you've all been busy looking forward to Harebrained Schemes Battletech game, Harmony Gold was busy suing the shit out of them and Piranha Games.

Hey guys, Harmony Gold! Honestly, someone should put that company out of it's misery once and for all.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/washington/wawdce/2:2017cv00327/242820
While I can see why they're suing PGI (not that I think it is a "good" suit, but doesn't MWO have both the Marauder and Warhammer mech designs in it?), does HBS even use any of the mech designs that were behind the original now-decades-old lawsuit?

While I can see why they're suing PGI (not that I think it is a "good" suit, but doesn't MWO have both the Marauder and Warhammer mech designs in it?), does HBS even use any of the mech designs that were behind the original now-decades-old lawsuit?
It doesn't even matter; all of the Unseen have ether been redesigned from the ground up or are going to be redesigned before their inclusion in future products. All of the Unseen in MWO are the new designs; I don't see why HBS wouldn't be allowed to use those designs themselves if they wanted to use the Unseen.

For the next Fallout game, I would gladly pay $20 for DLC that makes the radio play more than 5 songs. On the plus side, I can sing that Big Iron song from start to finish now, so I've got that going for me.
I haven't played it, so is this the Marty Robbins version? I was actually going to suggest that as one of @GasBandit's car-eoke songs.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
MWO pretty much redesigned every single mech. They gave the the Jenner a fucking torso twist, for crying out loud.

Speaking of Harmony Gold, guess how long it's been since Palladium's "Robotech Tactics" wargame kickstarter ended? That's right, 4 years.

Guess which Kickstarter still hasn't delivered on the extras or Wave 2 of miniatures?

Yup, for the last 3+ years they've been "getting quotes" from various Chinese miniatures manufacturers.

Only you, Palladium, could raise 20x the amount of funding you asked for and still fuck up this badly.

Walmart just cancelled every pre-order for the SNES mini.

Man, I'm glad that I'm not clamouring for one or else I might be perturbed.

Did you see how GameStop/ThinkGeek revealed yesterday that they had "thousands" of NES Classic bundles up for sale?
Did you see how they sold out completely after just 20 minutes?

--Patrick

Did you see how GameStop/ThinkGeek revealed yesterday that they had "thousands" of NES Classic bundles up for sale?
Did you see how they sold out completely after just 20 minutes?

--Patrick
Think Geek can go fuck themselves with their gouging bullshit. You can only buy a NES classic if you buy 300 dollars worth of garbage from them they can't normally sell. Scumbags. Gamestop fucking sucks.

Nothing like people with more money industry contacts than sense.

What does strobing do for a computer monitor? This isn't something I've head of before.
Basically, if the backlight can strobe at the same rate as the monitor's refresh rate, you can reduce the noise in between frames and stop motion blur

fade

Staff member
Why would you want to stop motion blur? A lot of artists go to great lengths to put it in, or rely on it occuring to mask flaws.

(Not completely serious--i know this won't take away motion blur intentionally added before display, but it will take away the latter)

GasBandit

Staff member
Why would you want to stop motion blur? A lot of artists go to great lengths to put it in, or rely on it occuring to mask flaws.

(Not completely serious--i know this won't take away motion blur intentionally added before display, but it will take away the latter)
Because I see it happening and it ruins my immersion. It's often implemented poorly and the effect is jarring, often blurring frames that don't actually need to be blurred. I feel the same way about using it egregiously in action sequences in movies.

My new-game-video-settings litany goes

Bloom OFF
Motion Blur OFF
SSAO OFF
Depth of Field OFF

Your eyes/brain have this persistence-of-vision thing that allows several individual frames to blend together into smooth motion. This is how movies work. Video games really suffer from this sort of thing, though, since frame 1 hasn't faded from your vision by the time frame 2 comes along. Worse yet, it hasn't even faded from the monitor yet, so it all blurs together like having both frames superimposed. This makes aiming difficult and hard to process since everything looks more smeary the faster it moves.

--Patrick

So Long Dark is out and I backed it at a level that gave me the right to name a minor location. If you play it, you should be able to tell what it is.