Video Game News and Miscellany

Some games hit their difficulty peak midway through and then become super easy the rest of the way thanks to your equipment and/or abilities.

Like Far Cry 3.
This is typically my issue playing RPGs like Fallout. I do every fricken quest I come across, pick up every bit of loot, and basically play for so long that when I remember that there is a main quest, I'm a god.

Some games hit their difficulty peak midway through and then become super easy the rest of the way thanks to your equipment and/or abilities.

Like Far Cry 3.
Aye. And this game may be exactly the same.

I guess what I was really pointing out is that it's so very very common for games to up the difficulty of your opponents - their strength, their numbers, their tactics, etc. - as you progress through the game.

This Resistance Meter just looks like Marketing Speak for that.

That's something all open world games face. There really is no easy way around it. Fallout 3 and Oblivion tried the whole level scaling thing which just ended up with you running into bandits decked out in Daedric and Glass gear, which was stupid.

That's something all open world games face. There really is no easy way around it. Fallout 3 and Oblivion tried the whole level scaling thing which just ended up with you running into bandits decked out in Daedric and Glass gear, which was stupid.
But I mean every sort of game, even Pacman, where those ghosts don't stay edible as long as they do early on.

The moron backlash against Far Cry 5's premise is hilarious.

"The main enemies represent most Americans. How is a game this treasonous allowed to be made?"

:rofl:

"The main enemies represent most Americans. How is a game this treasonous allowed to be made?"

:rofl:
It's even more hilarious if you know that the game is made at a canadian studio of a french video game company. That's hardly treasonous.

It's even more hilarious if you know that the game is made at a canadian studio of a french video game company. That's hardly treasonous.
Even if it was made by an American developer, it wouldn't be treasonous. Other things this person does not know:

The U.S. government does not make Far Cry and does not regulate video game stories. Most Americans are not violent fanatical Christians. Most Christians are not violent fanatical Christians.

I've been rolling in the aisles over all the tweets. "Why are we encouraging people to attack patriots?" and the like.

--Patrick

Fuck yessssss. And I'm stoked for the Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey remake too, but this one is gonna open Radiant Historia up for so many people who missed the DS original.

Agents of Mayhem is a single-player spin-off of Saints Row - basically, when Johnny Gat reboots the universe at the end of Gat Out Of Hell, an alternative universe is created. And that's where Agents of Mayhem is set.

Pre-ordering allows you to play as Johnny Gat.

Looks like a fun game.

GasBandit

Staff member
Empyrion just got a MASSIVE update, now implementing pressurized oxygen environments, temperature, radiation, star-trek-like "force fields" to hold in oxygen so you don't need a cumbersome airlock, UI improvements, functioning bathroom/shower facilities, new alien AI-controlled ships, armor, item durability (boooooo), portals and teleporters, sensors and triggers, signal logic, playfield instancing, dynamic and dangerous weather, and various other new things.

Meanwhile, Space Engineers' wheels are still broke.[DOUBLEPOST=1496950547,1496950440][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, it looks like we missed out on a timed event in Vermintide.

fade

Staff member
Agents of Mayhem is a single-player spin-off of Saints Row - basically, when Johnny Gat reboots the universe at the end of Gat Out Of Hell, an alternative universe is created. And that's where Agents of Mayhem is set.

Pre-ordering allows you to play as Johnny Gat.

Looks like a fun game.
Now there's a game series I love. Looking forward to more.

Soooo.... basically Super Meat Boy wearing a Limbo costume.
Sounds like it, though I'd lean 50/50 Limbo/Gish until I see more.

The End Is Nigh is a sprawling adventure platformer where the player takes control over Ash, one of few "things" that have "survived" the "end of the world". Follow Ash as he flops his way through a future of pain and suffering. Feel his stress levels rise as you throw him into an endless swarm of decaying, mutant animal-like creatures and help aid his final epic quest... to simply make a friend (out of pieces of people he finds along his journey).

Oh, also you collect video game cartridges and tumors! if that does anything for ya.

Features:
  • 600+ levels!
  • 12+ explorable chapters!
  • 20+ collectible and fully playable mini game cartridges! (each with their own tiny achievements!)
  • 80+ achievements that will make you feel good about yourself
  • 100s of collectible little squishy tumors!
  • loads of hidden extras and endings that you will probably see someone else find before you do!
  • and stress!
Then again, he has a great track record of improving on past concepts when he iterates over them again. If he has managed half the improvement that Meat Boy -.> Super Meat Boy or Isaac -> Rebirth, it'll be well worth the money.

Fuck yessssss. And I'm stoked for the Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey remake too, but this one is gonna open Radiant Historia up for so many people who missed the DS original.
So I've been meaning to ask (and may have before): if I've never played Shin Megami Tensei games, where do I start? I have my PSP and 3DS, so that's the big limitation.

So I've been meaning to ask (and may have before): if I've never played Shin Megami Tensei games, where do I start? I have my PSP and 3DS, so that's the big limitation.
There's not really a start because there's no storyline continuity between the games. They just have similar themes and system rules. Since you've played Persona, you already have some familiarity with the spell and weakness systems.

I've never played the DS version of Strange Journey, but I've heard good things, so I'm looking forward to the remake.

As for what you have access to:
Shin Megami Tensei IV is an experience. Though not without flaw, particularly in the characters, it's an interesting story and is often on sale for pretty cheap on the 3DS eshop.
That said, I've been told Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse is better. It's kind of a what-if story that shares SMTIV's setting but with a stronger story.

SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked is one I can wholly recommend. It's a little odd in using tactical RPG maps, but within that are more standard RPG battles. Excellent story. It almost feels like a bridge between Persona and SMT thematically.

I can't help on the PSP front. Only Atlus game I played for that was Persona 3 Portable.

If all you have is a PSP and 3DS, then your options are limited. You can get Shin Megami Tensei 4, Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker, Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers, Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth, and maybe more on 3DS. On PSP, I think it's Just Persona 2 and Persona 3 Portable? Unless you have a Vita, in which case Persona 4: The Golden is an option too.

Of THOSE options, I'd say Persona 3 Portable or Shin Megami Tensei 4 is where you should start, followed by Soul Hackers and Record Breaker. When it's released, Strange Journey REDUX is another pick.
If you DO have a Vita or are willing to shell out $60 for a Playstation TV, then Persona 4: The Golden is generally considered the best in the franchise.

Playing Q now. Will definitely start looking through those DS options later.

I'm still waiting for a Vita to drop below $150, since all my gaming seems to be done on my portables because kids.