Video Game News and Miscellany

why should voice actors get residuals for a few days work while programmers, designers, artists, and engineers (who are largely responsible for the success in the first place) get nothing?
Because that's what the contracts state.
Really, that's all it is.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Because that's what the contracts state.
Really, that's all it is.

--Patrick
You know very well that the real question asked is "why should they be entitled to changing their contract to include royalties/residuals when..."

And the answer is, they aren't, unless the company thinks their particular voice is critical enough to grant them so.

Hell, I'd love to be collecting residuals for every computer I've built over the last 20 years. I might retire.

If a game sells over 2 million copies, it usually has nothing to do with the voice talent. I'm sure we could find a few examples to the contrary, but for the most part the voice talent is far behind things like gameplay, graphics, design, and multiplayer options. As another person already pointed out, why should voice actors get residuals for a few days work while programmers, designers, artists, and engineers (who are largely responsible for the success in the first place) get nothing?
The inability of the programmers and artists to properly unionize in order to negotiate such terms is the fault of the programmers and artists, not the voice actors... do not blame the actors for (rightfully) asking for royalties when their work is generally irreplaceable. If anything, the programmers and artists should be striking too so they can get their piece of the pie. It's not like they don't deserve it too.[DOUBLEPOST=1477083937,1477083786][/DOUBLEPOST]
You know very well that the real question asked is "why should they be entitled to changing their contract to include royalties/residuals when..."

And the answer is, they aren't, unless the company thinks their particular voice is critical enough to grant them so.
Bare minimum, they should be getting checks for re-releases of titles. This was actually a sticking point with the Silent Hill Collection; Konami didn't own the rights to the vocal and mocap performances of James Sunderland and refused to pay up for the rights. They were going to release it with all new mo-cap and voice acting, but the fan outcry was so massive they changed their minds.

And you know my real answer is, "If you want those things, don't sign a contract that doesn't have them."
If anything, the programmers and artists should be striking too so they can get their piece of the pie. It's not like they don't deserve it too.
See? AshburnerX gets it.

--Patrick

I strongly disagree that voice actors in video games are "irreplaceable" or otherwise vital to the success of most games.

The switch looks intriguing but the way Nintendo has been churning out a new console system every 2-3 years makes me apprehensive to invest in anything that won't be backwards compatible.

The switch looks intriguing but the way Nintendo has been churning out a new console system every 2-3 years makes me apprehensive to invest in anything that won't be backwards compatible.
Well, it's longer than that at least. The Gamecube came out in 2001, the Wii in 2006, Wii U in 2012, and the Switch comes out in 2017. So it's a pretty consistent 5 year lifespan for their consoles.

Well, it's longer than that at least. The Gamecube came out in 2001, the Wii in 2006, Wii U in 2012, and the Switch comes out in 2017. So it's a pretty consistent 5 year lifespan for their consoles.
I wasn't aware, I could have sword the Wii U was like 3 years ago.

I wasn't aware, I could have sword the Wii U was like 3 years ago.
That's when it became relevant thanks to the Wind Waker bundle, so that's understandable.[DOUBLEPOST=1477104262,1477104047][/DOUBLEPOST]
And I just don't see a way the Switch can at all be backwards compatible. DS, 3DS, Wii U, it's all built on the two-screen architecture. Even if you turn the Switch screen vertical, it can't replicate the controls of 3DS and touch screen proximity since the controls don't fit that way, and forget the Wii U. Nintendo is cutting the cord here and starting a fresh slate.

Which means even the Nintendo account transferring over means jack shit unless the Virtual Console carries over. Or is Nintendo going to have to build that from the ground up for a fourth time? At least they'd have better 3rd party backing and we could likely get a Virtual Console experience more in line with the Wii's.

I note from the article that the strike doesn't affect every developer/publisher, just some of them. Granted, there are some big names on the list (EA, Activision, WB, etc), but does this mean that, for example, games from Zenimax, Blizzard, etc can still use union voice actors?

I note from the article that the strike doesn't affect every developer/publisher, just some of them. Granted, there are some big names on the list (EA, Activision, WB, etc), but does this mean that, for example, games from Zenimax, Blizzard, etc can still use union voice actors?
Blizzard is Activision, so no. But otherwise, yes. Only companies targeted by the strike will be affected: I'm sure the reason some devs were ignored is because they ether pay their actors better, don't use SAG actors, or fall into the indie clause.

Last edited:
So apparently the Switch is a Tegra with an Nvidia GPU. This thing is basically an updated Nvidia Shield inside.
I would be impressed if it came out that the switch runs android and allows you access to the Google app market. I mean, this won't happen, but I would be impressed.

Otherwise it's all of the drawbacks of tablet gaming and none of the pros

I would be impressed if it came out that the switch runs android and allows you access to the Google app market. I mean, this won't happen, but I would be impressed.

Otherwise it's all of the drawbacks of tablet gaming and none of the pros
The #1 request I would have is for this for them to unify the Wii/Wii U markets so you don't need to keep rebuying shit you've already bought. There's no excuse for this: if you bought something on the PS3 or Xbox 360 markets and it's backwards compatibly, you can play it on your modern system. And Nintendo in particular has no excuse when it's possible to play WII games through emulation.

The #1 request I would have is for this for them to unify the Wii/Wii U markets so you don't need to keep rebuying shit you've already bought. There's no excuse for this: if you bought something on the PS3 or Xbox 360 markets and it's backwards compatibly, you can play it on your modern system. And Nintendo in particular has no excuse when it's possible to play WII games through emulation.
It doesn't look like it can run the tablet and the TV at the same time as separate screens, so I don't see how it's going to bring the Wii U in there.[DOUBLEPOST=1477136200,1477135645][/DOUBLEPOST]
Only Nintendo can get excited by a 5 year old game.
switch skyrim.jpg

I don't see any way for Wii, WiiU, DS or 3DS to run on this because it lacks the extra screens/input of those devices.

Also they have to rewrite all the emulators for the new platform. There's a reason those games run differently on the wii vs wiiU

I was referring to the eShop stuff: you know, the countless NES, SNES, N64, and GC games?
At this point in emulation, there should be no reason they can't just transfer the system over. They each run in a system emulator, so if the Switch has any processing power whatsoever, this shouldn't be a problem. I'm not gonna be happy with them if they start the VC from scratch on the Switch.

Nintendo confirms what all of us already figured out from watching the video, that the Switch will not be physically backwards compatible with the Wii U or 3DS. No word on digital yet, but I think we can figure it out.

That they even mentioned the 3DS suggests that this is indeed the new handheld and the people in denial on various web sites are going to have to accept that at some point. I'm really hoping this opens the door for a fresh Pokemon experience. I'm not getting Pokemon Sun because I'm just so done with Pokemon as it is. With the handheld and console blending together, now would be the time.

That said, this makes it less likely anyone would want to sell their 3DS for it if they have a sizable library. I could see selling my Wii U and getting a Switch easily, but without backwards compatibility, I'll probably be keeping my 3DS for years beyond its retail lifespan, same as the DS.

Nintendo confirms what all of us already figured out from watching the video, that the Switch will not be physically backwards compatible with the Wii U or 3DS. No word on digital yet, but I think we can figure it out.

That they even mentioned the 3DS suggests that this is indeed the new handheld and the people in denial on various web sites are going to have to accept that at some point. I'm really hoping this opens the door for a fresh Pokemon experience. I'm not getting Pokemon Sun because I'm just so done with Pokemon as it is. With the handheld and console blending together, now would be the time.

That said, this makes it less likely anyone would want to sell their 3DS for it if they have a sizable library. I could see selling my Wii U and getting a Switch easily, but without backwards compatibility, I'll probably be keeping my 3DS for years beyond its retail lifespan, same as the DS.
I'm getting bdsm Pokemon just because of the brilliant strategy they executed of rereleasing Pokemon Red/blue/yellow (which I am enjoying playing again) and making them compatible with the Pokemon bank for transfer to S&M

I'm getting bdsm Pokemon just because of the brilliant strategy they executed of rereleasing Pokemon Red/blue/yellow (which I am enjoying playing again) and making them compatible with the Pokemon bank for transfer to S&M
They're doing things; I don't want to suggest they aren't. It's just not enticing me.

I'm glad you enjoyed the re-releases though :p. I felt the nostalgia worm, but I know Pokemon has developed a lot since then and figured my memories of Pokemon Red need to stay in my childhood.

They're doing things; I don't want to suggest they aren't. It's just not enticing me.

I'm glad you enjoyed the re-releases though :p. I felt the nostalgia worm, but I know Pokemon has developed a lot since then and figured my memories of Pokemon Red need to stay in my childhood.
I honestly had forgotten how grindy the first gens of Pokemon were until I replayed them. I mean, all Pokemon games have the grind element, but omg.

I strongly disagree that voice actors in video games are "irreplaceable" or otherwise vital to the success of most games.
The issue that Ash is trying to point out is that this is the game industry's general take on programmers/designers/composers/marketers/employees overall. The industry tone around most positions is that getting into the game industry is so appealing (because everyone loves games!) that everyone is immediately replaceable.

Even C-Suites get changed pretty frequently, it's just less of a burden for them because they make more than everyone else.

Dude, it has a 3 hour battery life. It's going to be a shitty handheld.

Dude, it has a 3 hour battery life. It's going to be a shitty handheld.
Source on that? One of the biggest questions right now is the battery life, so are you speculating? You may be right, but I'd like a source please.

Also, any word if you can "stream" to the base station? Then it could do the full WiiU thing, with the "power" being the WiiU tablet in that case. Then they COULD have full backwards compatibility, which would be great.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but there are big questions still to be answered.

Edit: Zero scooped me!

Laura Kate, who's been spot on with all of her leaks so far and has some real ace insider sources. She broke the PS4 Pro long before anyone else too.

To those asking about battery life on Nintendo Switch, I’m hearing “mediocre” battery life.

— Laura Kate Dale (@LaurakBuzz) October 20, 2016

Source A (Nintendo) described the Switch as having a “mediocre” battery life. Source B (Ubisoft) has said a maximum battery life of three hours.
http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/10/a-deep-dive-on-lpvgs-nintendo-switch-reports-and-info/