Video Game News and Miscellany

I'll do voice work for the English and Chinese versions! Double the scabbing, half the fuss!

No, seriously, please make me a voice actor. My current job is giving me conniptions.

I'll do voice work for the English and Chinese versions! Double the scabbing, half the fuss!

No, seriously, please make me a voice actor. My current job is giving me conniptions.

Deal, but the script you have to read from is machine translated, and you cannot change any of it.

Ugh. WHY, Rockstar. You used to be cool. Remember when GTA was just a crappy 2.5d top down? On PC only? Those were good times. Now you think you're too good to dance with them what brung ya.
Yeah but the dam really broke with GTA 3, which was huge on consoles.

fade

Staff member
It's like the 1 button mouse thing on a Mac. About half of those haven't been accurate for some time.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's like the 1 button mouse thing on a Mac. About half of those haven't been accurate for some time.
The only inaccuracies I see in that picture are the 1080p/60+fps. That's like 5 years ago or more. Now, everything's talking about 4k/120+fps.

fade

Staff member
HD textures? Smooth gameplay? I don't even know what "smooth gameplay" even means. Ironically, I've had more hiccups and crashes from PC games than I've ever had with console games. I'm also not so sure I count "mouse accuracy" as a win. What's the challenge of aiming if all you've got to do is what every office employee with a spreadsheet does 1000x a day?

GasBandit

Staff member
HD textures? Smooth gameplay? I don't even know what "smooth gameplay" even means. Ironically, I've had more hiccups and crashes from PC games than I've ever had with console games. I'm also not so sure I count "mouse accuracy" as a win. What's the challenge of aiming if all you've got to do is what every office employee with a spreadsheet does 1000x a day?
Mouse accuracy is definitely a win. Console FPS games routinely have to incorporate aim assist because the thumbsticks are vastly inferior interfaces for quickly and smoothly aiming a targeting reticle. Compare trying to mouse through that spreadsheet with a mouse, to one of those little eraser nubs in the middle of the keyboard laptops used to use before touchpads became a thing.

HD Textures is also definitely a thing. A lot of games (like skyrim, for example) have high resolution texture packs you can download and install to replace the blurry shit textures they had to use on the default installation so that the consoles wouldn't gag to death.

As for what "smooth gameplay" means, and your PC crashing - well, I dunno how to explain the taste of fine steak to a guy who set fire to a barn and complained steak doesn't taste good ;)

Compare trying to mouse through that spreadsheet with a mouse, to one of those little eraser nubs in the middle of the keyboard laptops used to use before touchpads became a thing.
That nub is still my preferred laptop pointer device.

. . .and not just because it got me to learn all the keyboard shortcuts.

On one hand, keeping shit portable plays to Nintendo's strength in the handheld market.

On the other hand, no one is going to crowd around a tiny screen to play a game together on the go, no matter what the video implies, and I will miss a dual screen portable, since most of the games I enjoy use it.