Video Game News and Miscellany

What he did in FF7 was basically realize there was a problem and make the first steps to becoming his own person. He doesn't get over it till the end of Advent Children, when Aerith basically exonerates him for not protecting her, because she was the one who put herself in danger to begin with. That was the last thing really holding him back. Post AC (in Dirge of Cerberus), he's much less emo.

This, so much. I found it so stupid in Advent Children, Kingdom Hearts, Dissidia, that they basically turned Cloud into Squall.[DOUBLEPOST=1341532576][/DOUBLEPOST]What is the point of a third FFXIII?

Whatever happened to them doing those FFXIII side stories that were supposed to be much better than the primary FFXIII series?

I must admit, I've never played FF7. So this interests me.

I did watch Advent Children though. Phwoar, Tifa.

I'm pretty much done with FF. X-2 started me leaning in that direction, FFXIII pretty much nailed the coffin shut.

It will take pretty much every single friend I have telling me the next game is awesome for me to raise the zombie of my 12 year-old self.

Even my 12-year-old self would have been bored with FFXIII.

My wife insists I play FFXII someday and though I'm sure it has its merits, the combat system annoys the hell out of me.

12 has a strong, serious plot that really only suffers with the addition of two characters that really don't add anything to the plot. Yes, the combat system is different... that doesn't change that it's the deepest game we've gotten from Square Enix since Vagrant Story.

Teen-age me didn't even like FF7 as it deviated from the tride, true and very fun 2D class based playstyle of 1-6. I didn't start liking next-gen FFs till FFT.

12 has a strong, serious plot that really only suffers with the addition of two characters that really don't add anything to the plot. Yes, the combat system is different... that doesn't change that it's the deepest game we've gotten from Square Enix since Vagrant Story.
I still need to play that. It's been sitting on my PSP memory card for a long time.

It's also a re-imagining of Ultima 4, which is probably one of the best games of the franchise.

It's still going to suck, because Lord British isn't involved in any way.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's also a re-imagining of Ultima 4, which is probably one of the best games of the franchise.

It's still going to suck, because Lord British isn't involved in any way.
I dunno, let's not pretend that everything Richard Garriot touches turns to gold. But yeah, it is EA Bioware. Seems I recall them doing something really horrible lately.

As far as Ultima goes, it generally is. The only reason Ultima 8 and 9 sucked SO HARD was because EA interfered with the development process in order to sell more games. It didn't work and ruined those products.

GasBandit

Staff member
Didnt most of the programmers jump ship during the development of Ultima 9 due to the many changes forced upon them by EA?
What I heard is most were taken off to work on UO, and then 9 was restarted from scratch like 3 times due to changing technologies.

As far as Ultima goes, it generally is. The only reason Ultima 8 and 9 sucked SO HARD was because EA interfered with the development process in order to sell more games. It didn't work and ruined those products.
Though, isn't "Lord British" kinda looney toons, anyway?

DAMMIT.

I bought Gungnir in Gamestop. Disc can't be played on Vita. Now it's available on PSN, playable on Vita... but only from PSN.

And my PSP's a hunk of shit that eats discs.

I think it's funny they're planning a sequel to Planescape: Torment but without Planescape itself. It's kind of like saying, "Hey, I wanna make a sequel to Baldur's Gate, but it won't be set in or near Baldur's Gate or even on Faerun. In fact, it's a whole new world we just made up. We were shackled by all that stuff."

The D&D game license has always been in a complicated place. Hasbro wholly owns WoTC and thus technically "owns" all the rights to D&D and derivative properties, and have done so since 1999 (more or less).

However, the D&D game license has been licensed out to tons of folks both before and after that, and you can't just take the licensing away without large legal proceedings, so the D&D game license has been held by other companies even as the original company was acquired and re-acquired and re-sold. For example, technically, Interplay held the a digital game D&D license from TSR since before WotC bought TSR, and so technically held onto first the exclusive license and then a licensed exception to make D&D games even after the exclusive digital game license was technically owned by Hasbro and granted to Hasbro Interactive (which was then sold completely to Infogrames/Atari).

After large amounts of legal wrangling, Hasbro once again has full control of the license. Except for the legal exception to use granted to Cryptic Studios who were acquired from Atari by Perfect World two years ago in order to make the Neverwinter MMO.

And Atari's non-exclusive license to make more D&D-based game without the ability to grant the license to other people.

So it's one giant mess, in other words.