Video Game News and Miscellany

Ugh, even as burned out as I am on the Final Fantasy series, I am so completely in on Theatrhythm. An Elite Beat Agents style rhythm game set to Final Fantasy music? Yes please:

Brass Beast is a failure as a weapon and just needs to be consigned to the dumpster bin. Except for in Versus Saxton Hale, where it's the best minigun to use.

Machina isn't overpowered. If it was, everyone would use it. Due to the increased bodyshot damage, using the Machina is usually a sniper's way of saying "I'm a garbage sniper."

GasBandit

Staff member
Ironic, considering most sniper rifles would jellify a target with a torso hit, so it'd just make more sense to aim for center mass anyway.

If you're not getting headshots, you're not a sniper.
Sydney Sleeper doesn't DO headshots, so there is no reason to go for them. It still wastes half the classes on a full charge and it makes the rest run away because they are now covered in Jarate. Like I said, it tends to frustrate people.

Sydney is great for frustrating or helping a push against a strong defense, but it doesn't waste half the classes. It will kill a Scout or Medic that doesn't have bonus HP but that's it. Otherwise yes, it frustrates everyonelse and again, great for a push. Is it better than 1 shotting a headshot on ANY class in the game (minus Heavy)? Nope. Basic Sniper and Bazaar are still going to be superior because it takes out the target completely, not just "frustrates them".

Worse, if you're wearing the full Sydney set? Spies are going to be your daddy. I don't care how careful you are, an equal skill spy vs an equal skilled sniper will always win if you're not wearing a razorback.

It'll one shot Medics, Engineers, Scouts, and Spys. That's about half the classes... though to be fair, for me to even be seeing Engys and Spys generally means they kinda suck at doing their jobs. As for what I usually go as... I usually rock SS, Jarate, and Bushwacker. The Jarate helps if there is a large mass of guys in a choke point, while the Bushwacker+Jarate combo is great for dealing with anyone who breaks through. It's hardly the optimal combination, but for the brief periods I play Sniper, it works well for me. Has anyone tried that new SMG out? It looks fun.

Honestly, I do my best work as an engineer. I have never been as effective as I've been since they put in the Widowmaker. Still need to try out the POMSON.

GasBandit

Staff member
Razorback does nothing vs 2 rapid point blank pistol shots to the head, especially with the ambassador or enforcer. And don't tell me a sniper can be expected to dodge the second shot.[DOUBLEPOST=1341358227][/DOUBLEPOST]
Honestly, I do my best work as an engineer. I have never been as effective as I've been since they put in the Widowmaker. Still need to try out the POMSON.
The Pomson is a big change to what number 1 for (previously I'd been using the Frontier Justice as I just can't stomach shooting out METAL.. but what if I gotta build?!). It becomes a suppression weapon. Because of the projectile's slow travel time and WAY oversized hitbox (seriously, if the edge of the huge projectile even grazes the enemy's personal space, it does full damage), it's useful for denying passage down long corridors and harassing snipers that have favorite places they like to stand. It probably won't get you many kills, but it will frustrate and disorganize the enemy, enabling your teammates to have an easier time with them. A single shot from the pomson can keep an enemy hiding for at least 2 seconds in the right circumstances, instead of sniping or charging through a hallway/over a bridge.

In exchange, it's much less effective in close combat than any given shotgun, but it extends the engineer's range for doing supplemental damage and causing chaos to as far as he can see.

It'll one shot Medics, Engineers, Scouts, and Spys. That's about half the classes... though to be fair, for me to even be seeing Engys and Spys generally means they kinda suck at doing their jobs. As for what I usually go as... I usually rock SS, Jarate, and Bushwacker. The Jarate helps if there is a large mass of guys in a choke point, while the Bushwacker+Jarate combo is great for dealing with anyone who breaks through. It's hardly the optimal combination, but for the brief periods I play Sniper, it works well for me. Has anyone tried that new SMG out? It looks fun.

Point 1: Yep, if you can see a Spy or Engineer, they're doing it wrong and I gear up for my matches with the intention that everyone there is as good or better than me.

Point 2: If you're using a Jarate on groups, that means you're too close and not working to your full potential. The only time a Jarate would be useful is if you happen to bust a spy coming up on you or you're going toe to toe with a Pyro. So again, I don't find it useful.

Razorback does nothing vs 2 rapid point blank pistol shots to the head, especially with the ambassador or enforcer. And don't tell me a sniper can be expected to dodge the second shot.
Razorback does nothing to a 2 point rapid shot, I agree, however to say I can't dodge the second shot and headshot the spy? You haven't seen me play.
Is it 100% guaranteed that I will kill the spy before the second shot kills me? Of course not. Do I have a chance? Yep.
Is it 100% guaranteed the spy will kill me with a backstab if I don't have my razorback on? Yep. Do I have a chance? Nope.

So again, I will always take Bazaar + Razorback over any current combination in game. Granted, I haven't played since they added the latest rifle so we'll see.

GasBandit

Staff member
Razorback does nothing to a 2 point rapid shot, I agree, however to say I can't dodge the second shot and headshot the spy? You haven't seen me play.
That'd be something, to be able to reliably react in less than a second (which is further complicated by latency) and then be able to switch weapons (or quickscope at point blank range) and do 175 damage while dodging the other 4 pistol shots that are coming after that. The vast majority of snipers don't even get to move.

I agree about jarate though... I prefer the tribalman's shiv. Not that I snipe much any more. I've fallen in love with demoman with nades, splendid screen and persian persuader.

Love the Shiv, it's great for Spy running.

As for reliably react in less than a second? Again, I don't claim to pull it off 100% of the time, but even a 50% success rate > 0% against without Razorback

The Pomson is a big change to what number 1 for (previously I'd been using the Frontier Justice as I just can't stomach shooting out METAL.. but what if I gotta build?!).
As long as you are good at getting those meat shots, you will never run dry. Add in the dropped weapon from the enemy you kill and your unlikely to run low. Having that limitless ammo supply has honestly saved me more times than I can count, like when a heavy+medic combo breaks through. Unless that Heavy is quite good, you really have no excuse for not taking out at least the medic.

And yeah... I don't like the Razorback. I don't get backstabbed enough to need it and I've never fallen for it when I see it on someone else. But then again, I don't play with good spies ether. I DO want to try that new SMG though.

Not that I snipe much any more. I've fallen in love with demoman with nades, splendid screen and persian persuader.
I've been running that too, with the Loch-n-Load. The Loch-n-Load is great: two hits will destroy a level 3 sentry. You can GET those two hits before it kills you, especially if you corner well.

GasBandit

Staff member
I've been running that too, with the Loch-n-Load. The Loch-n-Load is great: two hits will destroy a level 3 sentry. You can GET those two hits before it kills you, especially if you corner well.
Yeah, I tried it with the loch and load first, but I like bouncing stuff off walls to get people hiding around corners too much. Like the ramparts in 2fort. I like to lob a few up there to get the snipers hiding behind the fences on my way in.

Agreed. If I might continue the nostalgia train a moment, I also want to know what's up with this announcement from yesterday:

--Patrick

Play it like never before?

FF7 came out for PC when it was released 15 years ago.
To be fair, when it came out for PC 15 years ago, it was practically unplayable.

So now it may actually be playable, so you'll be able to play it, like never before.

My understanding is that it's getting a proper port from Square, instead of from some fly-by-night company. So yeah, it'll probably run fine.

GasBandit

Staff member
Hrm, I bought it for PC back in the 90s, it worked fine on my machine... Played it all the way through, though I was disappointed all the music was midi so One Winged Angel had no words.

If they're really going to rerelease it, they better update the models and backgrounds. Even back in the day, those backgrounds were pixellated as ass on PC.

There's a mod for the original version that updates all the models. There's even an Advent Children version, if you like those costumes better. I imagine someone will convert it over.

And no... if they were gonna update the backgrounds, they would just remake it. In fact, the highly detailed backgrounds of the original are one of the reasons there hasn't been a remake of it for a modern system: they don't think they could match the quality needed in any reasonable amount of time. Of course, there is also the fact that they've publicly stated they don't want to remake it because it would basically be admitting they couldn't do better. They want to make a game that is better that FF7, not make FF7 better.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, it seems that idea has gone out the window in any case.

All I'm saying is that, at the very least, they need to replace every single instance of this:

with at the very least this (or better):

And it would be nice if they could do something about the crappy background textures in the battles.

Their answer? Final Fantasy 13 part 3!

This is why the world will never take you seriously, video games.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, Kotaku is saying that it "won't be an HD version," and I'm hoping that doesn't mean what I think it means (as in, all game assets kept EXACTLY as in release, guaranteed to look like reheated ass at 1080p).

Also they listed some achievements for it (since apparently it WILL have cheevos):

Here are ten achievements I think Final Fantasy VII should have.

Why Would You Even Bother? She's Gonna Die In Like An Hour Anyway
Get Aeris's ultimate Limit Break.

Animal Cruelty
Attack and capture harmless chocobos in the wild. Imprison them in a cramped stable. Force them to breed with one another. Throw out the ones that don't turn black or gold. Use them to make yourself more powerful. Whip them into shape on the race track.

Stop Trying To Break Our Game
Equip one character with the following materia: Mime, MP Absorb-Master Summon, Final Attack-Phoenix, MP Turbo-Knights of the Round, Slash All, Mega All, HP Plus. Equip your other two characters with Mime. Enter combat. Press the A button once.

Nostalgia Overload
Realize that Final Fantasy VII isn't as good as it was when you were 12. Deny this to the grave.

Get A Lifestream
Level all of your characters to 99. Master all Materia. Kill Emerald and Ruby Weapons. Brag about these accomplishments to all of your friends. Lose all of your friends.

Physics? What Are Physics?
Use Tifa in combat.

Hey Foo
Go on a date to watch fireworks with Barret. Have a lovely time. Give him your number. Wait a day. Wonder why he hasn't called yet. Wait another day. Stare at his Facebook. Hit refresh. Wait a third day. Cry. Eat Haagen-Daaz. De-friend him on Facebook.

You're A Douche
Re-name Aeris to Aerith.

You Got Got
Spend over 50 hours traveling the world of Final Fantasy VII in search for the fifth Huge Materia which you can then use to unlock a secret color of chocobo that will allow you to travel into Sephiroth's cocoon and find a key that opens the door to Sector 3 in Midgar, where you can revive Aeris for real guys seriously you read it on an AOL message board!

Square Enix
Convince a shopkeeper to pay you five times for the same item.
[DOUBLEPOST=1341518904][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, as long as we're on the topic, let's not update cloud TOO much.

The irony is that both are drawn by the same guy, just at different points in his career. Though the "pristine sword" bit makes sense, if you've played Crisis Core.

At this point, I'm so numbed by the Final Fantasy series I cannot even bring it in me to properly bitch at them anymore.

Honestly, I think they really can't do it anymore. All the old guard (Sakaguchi, Uematsu, others) have left the company to form their own studios or do other projects, leaving them just Nomura, who's basically become a primadonna since then because he knows they don't have anyone else.

GasBandit

Staff member
At this point, I'm so numbed by the Final Fantasy series I cannot even bring it in me to properly bitch at them anymore.
Heh.. I feel that feel. When I first saw the trailers for X-2, that was it. "Yuna becomes a jpop idol post-cataclysm? Yeah, I'm done."

I like how TUN put it:

"There was a time in my life where I took it as given that I would be buying every single final fantasy game released without question. But as time went on, they changed the games, making them less in sync with what I wanted out of a final fantasy game. Now their releases come and go and I barely look up from what I'm doing."

"What Final Fantasy used to be about:
Compelling Characters
Chocobos
A sense of wonder and exploration

What Final Fantasy is about now:
Zippers, buckles
jpop
Plots that make my head hurt"

Also, Pre-Cloud was full of hope and innocence to the world. Post-Cloud lost Aerith and countless others, his own self-worth and indentity as well as the events of Advent Children. I think he's probaby one of the only characters that can go "slightly emo" and it makes sense.

GasBandit

Staff member
Also, Pre-Cloud was full of hope and innocence to the world. Post-Cloud lost Aerith and countless others, his own self-worth and indentity as well as the events of Advent Children. I think he's probaby one of the only characters that can go "slightly emo" and it makes sense.
Yeah, but (advent children aside) didn't the second half of FF7 have him go through the process of bucking up and getting over all that so as to save the world?