Venture Brothers. VENTURE BROTHERS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GasBandit

Staff member
This was the season finale, right?
Yep, unfortunately. Adult Swim's schedule servlet shows this coming weekend's episode will be the Very Venture Halloween, and next weekend's will be What Color Is Your Cleansuit.

WE ARE ONCE AGAIN IN THE WILDERNESS

Here's hoping we get new episode next year, instead of a two year gap like last time. Especially since basically NOTHING HAPPENED during this set of episodes.

GasBandit

Staff member
Here's hoping we get new episode next year, instead of a two year gap like last time. Especially since basically NOTHING HAPPENED during this set of episodes.
That's basically their justification for the short seasons - so that they can come out every year instead of every 3 years. We'll see how that pans out... smells like "half life episodes" to me.

That's basically their justification for the short seasons - so that they can come out every year instead of every 3 years. We'll see how that pans out... smells like "half life episodes" to me.
To be fair, we did get like 10 episodes worth of stuff. Halloween episode + double length episode + 8 normal ones.

GasBandit

Staff member
To be fair, we did get like 10 episodes worth of stuff. Halloween episode + double length episode + 8 normal ones.
Yeah, I'm just not entirely clear on how it took them 3 years to make 8(+2) episodes, but the next 8 will only be 1.

I also am still having a hard time visualizing how this is NOT their full time gig.

fade

Staff member
Some of the character names this season are awesome. Big Time, Vendata, Radical Left, The Fruit Bat.

After watching the Futurama episode that parodied G.I.Joe, it really put into perspective how much more clever (and absolutely spot on as a parody) OSI and all it's agents are in comparison.

Tank Top, Bum Rush, Shuttlecock, Headshot, After Burner.

Yeah, I'm just not entirely clear on how it took them 3 years to make 8(+2) episodes, but the next 8 will only be 1.

I also am still having a hard time visualizing how this is NOT their full time gig.
Part of the issue is that Jackson Publick and Doc Hammer write the entire show themselves, as well as do post-production. Jackson also directs the show himself (which IS a full time job). This is in addition to doing voice work for the series, as well as convention stuff. So I can see why it takes so long.

They've already said that Season 6 is currently slated for Late Fall 2014. At least we have some kind of clue now.

GasBandit

Staff member
IE, they can't bring themselves to delegate anything. And when I said not their full time gig, I mean apparently they have day jobs, or so I've read.

BananaHands

Staff member
IE, they can't bring themselves to delegate anything. And when I said not their full time gig, I mean apparently they have day jobs, or so I've read.
I'm assuming the day jobs they have are sitting with GRRM plotting more ways to punish the nerdy.

At the same time, would the show be BETTER for delegating things? Doing this their way has produced a series that hasn't had a single bad episode. Can you think of any other series that can make that claim?

GasBandit

Staff member
At the same time, would the show be BETTER for delegating things? Doing this their way has produced a series that hasn't had a single bad episode. Can you think of any other series that can make that claim?
Wellllll if I wanted to nitpick I could say there were some first season eps that were just "ok" but I understand the point you're trying to make.

I can understand them doing all the writing, too, but is there really nobody they can trust to help them with post production?

What I gather from what I've read on the various interviews and blog posts is that half the wait between seasons comes from them having to unwind and not do the show for 6-8 months after finishing a season.

And really, It took them 3 years. 3. Years. To do a short season? Granted it had an hour premiere, but it wasn't like it had episodes the caliber of "Everybody Comes to Hank's" or "Operation PROM." What changed? Why did season 5 take so much longer than the others, especially the epic season 4 which had 16 episodes and the two best episodes of the entire series thus far.

BananaHands

Staff member
The long gaps completely ruin it for casual fans too. I had friends that loved the show, but after such a long gap they kind of filed it under "Eh, whatever".

Hmm. Maybe it was after Season 3. I remember reading that they were saying whatever season it was would be the last season & I was extremely disappointed :(

If you can cosplay Hatred you can probably also cosplay 21 in henchman uniform.
Yup. I've been kicking around putting together a 21 costume, but after watching this season it struck me that Hatred, being of similar body type, would also be feasible & probably easier to put together. It just depends on how "authentic" I'd want the costume to be. For instance, I've been trying to figure out if there's a specific description for the outfit in general - jumpsuit? "Speedsuit"? (actually - you know what? It never occurred to me to google "speedsuit" seeing as how I thought that term was a joke. I just did & found pretty much exactly what I'm looking for).

So - speedsuit, black combat boots, white t-shirt, black rappelling gloves, white M1 helmet & white shoulder/belt holster. Then it's in the details - face paint, Venture Industries logos on helmet & shirt pocket & black "Hatred" name patch.

Oh - and uh... boobs if you're so inclined

Status
Not open for further replies.