USA Federal government: CLOSED

The person who drove into the barricades and was subsequently killed yesterday was unarmed (except for the car) and she had her 1 year old daughter in the backseat. She apparently was suffering from postpartum depression over this last year, but there is no other knowledge about why she tried to enter the white house grounds.

The child is unharmed.

They started a probe to find out why the police responded by shooting her since she did not ever get past the barricades, and other than reckless driving did not pose an immediate danger to anyone.

GasBandit

Staff member
The person who drove into the barricades and was subsequently killed yesterday was unarmed (except for the car) and she had her 1 year old daughter in the backseat. She apparently was suffering from postpartum depression over this last year, but there is no other knowledge about why she tried to enter the white house grounds.

The child is unharmed.

They started a probe to find out why the police responded by shooting her since she did not ever get past the barricades, and other than reckless driving did not pose an immediate danger to anyone.
We'll see what the investigation turns up, but I have a hard time faulting law enforcement/secret service for opening fire on a black sedan that tries to ram its way through a barricade at the white house and runs over a cop, then speeds toward the capitol.

But it does sound like a seriously leveled-up version of suicide-by-cop.

Hindsight is 20/20. At the time, however, nobody knew how many were involved nor the situation as a whole. I see a lot of administrative leave being handed out.

--Patrick

When you hit a pedestrian with a car on purpose , they usually categorize it as assault with a deadly weapon. The police just responded in kind.

GasBandit

Staff member
Something struck me as odd about the whole "WW2 Memorial closed to veterans" story. It's an open air area. If funding to it is shut down, who's putting up barricades and turning away the veterans? Turns out I guess "shut down" doesn't mean they send the workers home, they just instruct them to make life miserable as possible for anyone who wants to enter the memorial.

Park Service Ranger: "We've been told to make life as difficult for people as we can. It's disgusting."

It's like I've said all along.. in any situation, service to the public is not the goal of government. Increased government is the goal of government. If you dare try to weaken (or shut down) the government, government makes damn sure you regret it as much as possible.

Um, I'm not taking anything the Washington Times claims is fact as fact.

Also, describing the Parks Services as a "vast army" also doesn't get a lot of credibility from me.

Something struck me as odd about the whole "WW2 Memorial closed to veterans" story. It's an open air area. If funding to it is shut down, who's putting up barricades and turning away the veterans? Turns out I guess "shut down" doesn't mean they send the workers home, they just instruct them to make life miserable as possible for anyone who wants to enter the memorial.

Park Service Ranger: "We've been told to make life as difficult for people as we can. It's disgusting."

It's like I've said all along.. in any situation, service to the public is not the goal of government. Increased government is the goal of government. If you dare try to weaken (or shut down) the government, government makes damn sure you regret it as much as possible.
When I went to DC last year, I went through the WW II memorial on my way through the mall. It was ~8:30 on a weekday morning, and there were only four other tourists around. That's it. They're spending more time and money to block it off than they were leaving it open.

Many of the monuments pre-shutdown were open area, low security. I'd been to them a few times. Seeing how there was no entry fee and no doors, it's asinine to be enforcing a stoppage to people's entry.

Except we're not shutting it down. The government is shutting the government down, and the government's not being punished for it; we are.

GasBandit

Staff member
And the press is still there, making sure we have up to date information on the latest developments of this increasingly stressful event.

Necronic

Staff member
There's something ironic about someone making fun of the president for liking Pokemon, when writing the jokes takes a deep understanding of Pokemon.

There's something ironic about someone making fun of the president for liking Pokemon, when writing the jokes takes a deep understanding of Pokemon.
He was made fun of for liking a certain Pokemon that no one should like.

I honestly don't think I've ever come across a real person using that Pokemon in the games. Only NPCs.

GasBandit

Staff member
Exactly. I had no idea there was a Pokemon called Mr. Mime, nor that he was awful. I got the joke, but I wasn't in on it.

Sorry, I stopped reading fairly quickly, mostly because I didn't feel like it would be a helpful article after seeing this-

Untitled.png

That there is some head slapping bias right there.

How is the House's ability to set funding in a bill and exclude the Healthcare Act more sacrosanct than the Senate and President's ability to reject said funding bill for purposefully non-funding something that was lawfully passed (and thus deserves funding)? It's the exact same check and balance system, but the Senate is somehow the bad guys because they want to fund something that the House doesn't?

Nice try, but you can't hold one chamber's ability over another. If anything it means that both chambers (and thus both parties) are equally responsible for this.

Yes, everyone is responsible. Those portraying one party or the other as more responsible are wrong.

It's the same thing as obama instructing the justice department to stop defending DOMA.

Checks and balances, folks.