US Supreme Court to weigh DOMA against 5th Amendment

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.supremecourt.gov/qp/12-00307qp.pdf

12-307 UNITED STATES V. WINDSOR

QUESTION PRESENTED:
Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) defines the term "marriage" for all
purposes under federal law, including the provision of federal benefits, as "only a legal union between one man and one woman as husband and wife." 1 U.S.C. 7. It similarly defines the term "spouse" as "a person of the opposite sex who is a husband or a wife."

The question presented is:
Whether Section 3 of DOMA violates the Fifth Amendment's guarantee of equal
protection of the laws as applied to persons of the same sex who are legally married under
the laws of their State.

IN ADDITION TO THE QUESTION PRESENTED BY THE PETITION, THE PARTIES
ARE DIRECTED TO BRIEF AND ARGUE THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS:
WHETHER THE EXECUTIVE BRANCH’S AGREEMENT WITH THE COURT BELOW
THAT DOMA IS UNCONSTITUTIONAL DEPRIVES THIS COURT OF JURISDICTION
TO DECIDE THIS CASE; AND WHETHER THE BIPARTISAN LEGAL ADVISORY
GROUP OF THE UNITED STATES HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES HAS ARTICLE
III STANDING IN THIS CASE.
This case is pretty interesting. The petitioner was with her same-sex partner for over 40 years, and were officially married in New York.

Her partner died, and though she was married the federal government taxed her inheritance at a high rate, as though they were friends rather than married because the federal government does not recognize same sex marriages. They were quite well off, and the inheritance tax alone was over $300,000 dollars.

The court below the supreme court ruled that DOMA is unconstitutional. Obama has directed his attorney or solicitor general not to defend DOMA in court, but as it's a law passed by congress he still has to execute it - he can't direct the IRS, for instance, to ignore it and tax same-sex couples as married couples in states that allow it, for instance.

He has, however, sent someone to the supreme court in order to ask that the lower court ruling be affirmed.

So the republican controlled house has put together a group to defend DOMA.

Which puts us in a very similar situation we saw yesterday with Prop 8. The court not only wants to know if the fifth amendment's equal protection is violated by DOMA, but also whether the house of representatives has the power to defend a law which the executive branch is supposed to defend but chooses not to.

Oral arguments are complete at this time, and like yesterday they are very interesting, but I don't have time to go through and summarize them. You can listen to or read them here:

http://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/argument_audio_detail.aspx?argument=12-307

I'm really liking that the Supreme Court releases these same day. This is pretty neat. I wish congress would do the same - it's so difficult to track legislation...[DOUBLEPOST=1364409667][/DOUBLEPOST]One of the more interesting parts of the discussion was whether the federal government had any business at all defining marriage - something that the states themselves have typically dealt with.

This suggests that the two cases may end up being linked to some degree. If they rule that DOMA is invalid since the federal government haas no role in defining marriage, then that changes how they can rule on the Prop 8 case. Perhaps not by much, but it's an interesting interplay between the two cases.

Dave

Staff member
It really looks like they are going to overturn DOMA, which means that a state's rights to determine marriage > federal. So, this actually bolsters prop 8.

Having said that, it opens the way for a couple of things. First a brain drain from states which discriminate against same-sex couples as they look for a different place to live. Second, it opens another avenue of lawsuits when a couple married in one state is not recognized in another and therefore denied rights.

So while DOMA is probably going, going, gone, it only open other fights between state's rights against those of the individual or federal.

DOMA may be overturned, but that wouldn't affect the way out-of-state marriages are treated. If someone is legally married in one state, it must be recognized in all states. That's not DOMA, it's the constitution.

Dave

Staff member
DOMA may be overturned, but that wouldn't affect the way out-of-state marriages are treated. If someone is legally married in one state, it must be recognized in all states. That's not DOMA, it's the constitution.
As I said, that will be the next step in the march toward equality. I assume that someone married in Iowa same sex won't be recognized in Arizona, which will bring about the next round of lawsuits, if they already do not exist.

Racial equality is constitutional as well, but look how long it took for the states to all fall into line.

Anybody else think it's ironic that Republicans are perfectly willing to defend the inheritance tax, but only when it's targeting THE GAYS?! WTF guys...

So wait, NOW is my traditional marriage destroyed? Someone on FB said this invalidated traditional marriage. Does that mean I get to date again or something? I really don't know if I'm ready to date again. :(

It's diluted marriage somewhat, but hasn't had nearly the effect that past events have. Birth control, abortion, the sexual revolution, and the increasing selfishness of each generation changed marriage and what it means for most people far, far more than this one court ruling.

It's diluted marriage somewhat, but hasn't had nearly the effect that past events have. Birth control, abortion, the sexual revolution, and the increasing selfishness of each generation changed marriage and what it means for most people far, far more than this one court ruling.

Turning marriage into some shclep about love and foregoing arrangements forever destroyed marriage.

I love this response:
Mildred vonHildegard said:
@BryanJFischer It's true, I was just issued my 'straight person' arm badge. The ovens are waiting for us, Bryan. Never forget.
[DOUBLEPOST=1372288850][/DOUBLEPOST]
It's diluted marriage somewhat, but hasn't had nearly the effect that past events have. Birth control, abortion, the sexual revolution...
Sorry, are those supposed to be bad things?

Sorry, are those supposed to be bad things?
No need to apologize!

I'd say that birth control is a good thing, the sexual revolution was good and bad, abortion for convenience was bad, and increasing selfishness is bad.

But they each have undeniably changed marriage more than this ruling, which was my point.

I'd say that birth control is a good thing, the sexual revolution was good and bad, abortion for convenience was bad, and increasing selfishness is bad.
1) I agree, 2) I think it was a lot more good than any bad, 3) Agree though I support abortion being safe and legal, 4) And obviously agree.
But they each have undeniably changed marriage more than this ruling, which was my point.
Gotcha.

I honestly believe that, in a few decades, this will become the non-issue that interracial marriages are now. I think opponents are going to keep raising hell over this issue until, all of a sudden, it's the norm and western society has not crumbled.

Status
Not open for further replies.