[Brazelton] Twitter

Bots are getting out of hand on Reddit. It used to be a couple of times a week, maximum, that a bot would make a post that's an exact copy of one of the highest ranked posts of all time, now it's multiple times every day.
It's the same on Twitter, and on 9Gag, o nFacebook, and on a number of other meme places.

It seems that people are now so addicted to memes and useless video's/images mixed with propaganda and ads that we're willing to put up with a worse experience, more bots, less human interaction, less innovation, just the endless recycling of the same 50 "funny" stories etc. and we're still not moving elsewhere or stopping usage, so....Why would they bother keeping supplying quality when people don't care?

Every dumb decision has made me say "surely this will be what finally breaks twitter" but everybody keeps using and and doing whatever Elon requires because social media is psychosocial crack.
At this point I fully expect something along the lines of “Twitter now administers a painful shock for everyone who tweets without paying for a blue check.” And people will complain about how they get shocked dozens of times a day.

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm left wondering if he's actually trying to make this work, but is so stupid and egotistical that he's failing miserably, or if he's intentionally destroying Twitter for some sort of stupid reason (a shady tax shelter? petty revenge? some sort of bet with another billionaire?)

"why would you take this job?"

Because, as long as she can stay out of jail during the blowup, she'll never have to work again?

GasBandit

Staff member
And the method they used to work this clusterfuck makes the site legitimately DDOS itself. Just when you thought there weren't any wheels left to come off this shit show...

I'm happy there's finally a somewhat credible alternative to Twitter.
I'm sad it's from probably the only company I'd trust even less than Google not to be evil with the data gathered.

Dave

Staff member
I have a hard time with Threads, though. It's as big if not bigger data grab than Facebook or TikTok. So while I do want to download it, I really don't want to download it, even though I know my data is already out there.

Dave

Staff member
The perfect scenario is as follows:

1. Everyone goes to Threads, even though it supports Zuck.
  2. Musk gets pissed and sells Twitter, effectively putting it under new management.
  3. New management of Twitter reset it back to the way it used to be.
  4. Everyone leaves Threads to go back to Twitter.

2. Musk gets pissed and sells Twitter, effectively putting it under new management.
But twitter can't go back to how it was - if only because of the massive brain drain that has taken place.

And I find it funny how Threads isn't allowed to launch in the EU but all the other Metacrap is fine.

The problem with that is that Musk can't sell twitter without getting in massive debt, and it gets worse because, you know... its value is only going lower.

Ah, the ol’ Sunk Cost experiment. You would figure, what with him being such a shrewd businessman and all, that he would know when to walk away and write off the loss, but for some reason he just can’t/won’t.

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Ah, the ol’ Sunk Cost experiment. You would figure, what with him being such a shrewd businessman and all, that he would know when to walk away and write off the loss, but for some reason he just can’t/won’t.

—Patrick
Didn't he leverage his stake in Tesla? If (when) Twitter folds or he sells it at a loss, it may cost him the jewel in his crown.