[Brazelton] Twitter

I genuinely don't understand people who cheer on one of the biggest dicks in global economics, but somehow hate global economics. I mean... The WEF is pretty much the lobby group for rich selfish bastards, and Musk is the biggest rich selfish bastard. Why wouldn't he like them? It's like cheering for Trump because he's for the small man and against the rich elite.

I avoid my computer for a half hour to eat dinner and I come back to learn that

A) Ron DeSantis' presidential campaign run started on a twitter space, which elon made new site features to promote.

B) The space started and there was no sound.

C) DeSantis got kicked out of it.

D) They had to stop it and make a new one.

Idk about his entire political career but he’s got 0 shot at the 2024 Republican nomination unless trump is taken out by health or jail.
Yeah the fact that he’s lining up to run headfirst into the Trump blender is the biggest argument for him being too stupid for the job.
The fact that he’s going to do more damage to Florida than most hurricanes just to get demolished in the primary is what makes it a genuine farce.

I avoid my computer for a half hour to eat dinner and I come back to learn that

A) Ron DeSantis' presidential campaign run started on a twitter space, which elon made new site features to promote.

B) The space started and there was no sound.

C) DeSantis got kicked out of it.

D) They had to stop it and make a new one.
The Tucker show on Twitter is going to go smoothly.

I hate that I'm being forced to.

EDIT 4 @Tress : I didn't hate pre-Elon Twitter. It was still a useful tool then. But now it has been infected with a prion disease and is past the point where it could be treated, and so will inevitably collapse and take whatever value it had for me with it.

--Patrick

Last edited:
Well THIS explains a lot!

View attachment 45377
Twitter: Thrives entirely on volunteer/non-compensated content, goes into downward spiral when capitalist takes over.
Reddit: Thrives entirely on volunteer/non-compensated content, goes into downward spiral when capitalist takes over, but "I'm sure it will be different this time." (Huffman, probably).
The Internet REALLY is not liking the direction this is going. Especially Apollo users.

--Patrick

Last edited:
“Protest and dissent is important,” Huffman said. “The problem with this one is it’s not going to change anything because we made a business decision that we’re not negotiating on.”
Welp, if true, reddit is dead.
...while Huffman maintains that he respects users’ rights to protest, he also says that the subreddits currently participating in the blackout are “not going to stay offline indefinitely” — even if that means finding new moderators.
"Dance for my entertainment (and profit) or you will be replaced!"

A more conspiracy-minded individual might see the death of Reddit and Twitter at the hands of two capitalist oligarchs as an attempt to remove the most popular means through which those pesky peasants can effectively communicate and coordinate ideas amongst themselves, and sidestep the gatekeepers of the traditional wide-reaching media.

--Patrick

Last edited:
Yeah the mods of my subreddit basically got that thinly-veiled "open up or else we'll replace you" message.

Hi everyone,
We are aware that you have chosen to close your community at this time. We are reaching out to find out if any moderators currently on the mod team would be willing to take steps to reopen the community. Subreddits exist for the benefit of the community of users who come to them for support and belonging and in the end, moderators are stewards of these spaces and in a position of trust. Your users rely on your community for information, support, entertainment, and finding connection with others who have similar interests. The ability to find and make these connections is incredibly important to many people and ensuring that active communities are able to remain stable and active (and open) is very important.
Our goal here is to work with the existing mod team to find a path forward and make sure your subreddit is usable for the community which makes its home here. If you are not able or willing to reopen and maintain the community please let us know.

I'm actually surprised they got to us so quickly, I would've imagined there are a bunch of bigger subs they'd deal with first.

I’m very tempted to continue using reddit and Twitter, but in the most malicious ways possible, of course. Post in ROT13, PGP, base64, HQX, that sort of thing.

—Patrick

Twitter is an absolute wasteland now, every time I by reflex type it into the url bar by accident, the first post is always by Andrew Tate or something. The massive thread on another board I lurk on about the Ukraine war is basically useless now because you need to have a twitter account to see half of the embeds, making link rot across forums suddenly a problem.

The messages from the Reddit admins are getting less and less thinly veiled.

Thank you for replying and confirming reopening is not on the table for this mod team.
If you do choose to shift course please let us know.

Basically, "Are you SURE you won't reopen? It'd be a darn shame for something to happen to this mod team, wouldn't it?"

The messages from the Reddit admins are getting less and less thinly veiled.
Yeah, they've been pretty vocal about it elsewhere. No idea what would be gained from removing the people literally best-suited to doing the job and replacing them with wannabes.
ngotb.gif

--Patrick

Yeah, they've been pretty vocal about it elsewhere. No idea what would be gained from removing the people literally best-suited to doing the job and replacing them with wannabes.
View attachment 45387

--Patrick
The people best-suited to doing the job are not the current moderators in well-nigh every popular subreddit, imho.

Addendum: And they often are just the same people again and again.

GasBandit

Staff member
I can tell you this much, when Reddit goes, I am sorely going to miss the years and years of accumulated tech support data. Half the time when I google the solution to an issue, it's found in a subreddit somewhere.

It’s not just tech support. Literal millions of posts of successfully crowd-sourced research is going to go down the tubes. Just the loss of r/whatisthisthing by itself would be a tragedy, but we’d also be losing such treasures as r/HFY, r/movies, and even r/lifeprotips and r/buyitforlife.

—Patrick

The Internet REALLY is not liking the direction [the fall of reddit] is going. Especially Apollo users.
...but why not hear it directly from the Apollo developer Christian Selig himself (so long as this reddit post stays up, that is).
I want to debunk Reddit's claims, and talk about their unwillingness to work with developers, moderators, and the larger community, as well as say thank you for all the support
There's an overall tone from Reddit along the lines of "Moderators, get in line or we'll replace you" that I think is incredibly, incredibly disrespectful. Other websites like Facebook pay literally hundreds of millions of dollars for moderators on their platform. Reddit is incredibly fortunate, if not exploitative, to get this labor completely free from unpaid, volunteer users.
--Patrick

Funny update to the Reddit situation: Apparently the Reddit admins have looked for any subreddits still set to private and sent them another threatening messages that basically said, "Open up or else." The problem? This included subreddits that were privated a long time ago because of their content, for example they feature really hardcore sexual content.

(The images are probably SFW because they're just text, but please bear in mind they contain the word "hentai".)

So the mod of this subreddit is basically going, "I am reluctantly opening up because I've been ordered to, but I really think this is a mistake."

Reddit has also sent in the e-Pinkertons, starting with r/mildlyinteresting as their "high-profile" test case.
just after I switched it to NSFW, I was logged out of my account on every single platform and locked out. I can successfully reset my password, but it will nevertheless not let me login.
[...]
No communication, no attempt to seriously answer any of our questions we asked in ModMail, but still going in and removing our posts, literally locking us out of our accounts, removing the entire moderation team, and entirely ignoring the 40,000 people who voted to either take the sub back private, or open it with new rules.
The mod team has apparently been reinstated after some back-and-forth, but we shall see how things progress.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
Bots are getting out of hand on Reddit. It used to be a couple of times a week, maximum, that a bot would make a post that's an exact copy of one of the highest ranked posts of all time, now it's multiple times every day.