Former President Trump Thread

Transcript (and there's a video in the article too, though not autoplay) of Trump's Speech to the UN today: National Post article

Not short. I'll give it to his speechwriter though, quite a lot in there to like IMO. Quite an amount to NOT like either. Proportions will vary per person! As will credibility. Either way, there's the text of it to refer against.

Dave

Staff member
Holy shit he stayed on script. Which is how you know it's not Trump or Trump's words.

Which is also why I'm discounting everything in it as speculative bullshit. He never sticks to anything from his scripted speeches, only the ones where he's speaking off the cuff and out his ass. For some reason, those are the ones that actually happen.

Holy shit he stayed on script. Which is how you know it's not Trump or Trump's words.

Which is also why I'm discounting everything in it as speculative bullshit. He never sticks to anything from his scripted speeches, only the ones where he's speaking off the cuff and out his ass. For some reason, those are the ones that actually happen.
Nothing the president says means anything and he won't remember saying them anyway. Policy will continue to hinge on whatever current thought he has while tweeting on the toilet.

Dave

Staff member
You guys think the script called for referring to Kim Jong Un as "rocketman"? Or to brag about the US economy?
Yes. Mainly because it was said with correct diction and complete sentences. Oh, Trump may have slipped some words in there, but the fact that the text was coherent is a dead giveaway that it's not Trump.

Besides, speechwriters go way out of their way to make their speeches sound like the person giving the speech. This could be completely calculated.

I can imagine John Kelly getting up in the morning, leaning on the sink and staring into the bathroom mirror, muttering "Do it for your country, John" for 10 minutes straight.

Donald Trump is the President of the United States. One of, if not the, most prestigious and powerful positions in the world. To become the president is not only a culmination of a lifetime of work for most, it is also an amazing honor. To be the President is to be among some of the greatest minds in our history.

He's still really bitter that he didn't win that Emmy.

Donald Trump is the President of the United States. One of, if not the, most prestigious and powerful positions in the world. To become the president is not only a culmination of a lifetime of work for most, it is also an amazing honor. To be the President is to be among some of the greatest minds in our history.

He's still really bitter that he didn't win that Emmy.

To be fair, unlike the presidency, he actually wanted that Emmy.

figmentPez

Staff member
So, I was watching the live-action remake of Beauty & the Beast, and they started singing "Kill the Beast"... White people with torches, chanting about how they have to eliminate an imaginary threat, making up propaganda, and planning to kill someone because of his appearance. I told my friend about how we're facing literal Disney villains in 2017, and he pointed out that the opposing viewpoint comes from a woman who is criticized for being overly educated, for being weird and not keeping to a woman's place in the world; as well as a slightly unkempt old man who is criticized as being too much of a dreamer, out of touch with reality.

I know none of you are really NBA fans but for context, the Golden State Warrriors are the best team in the league. They just won the championship. As is tradition in North American sports, league champions visit the white house. However, while there have been a lot of NBA players that have trashed trump, the Warriors players and especially their head coach have been particularly hard on him.* Plenty of Warriors players have said this offseason that they don't want to go. Yesterday, Steph Curry who arguably their best player, and inarguably their most popular player specifically said he didn't want to go. So of course, trump tweets the ultimate "you can't quit, you're fired" move.

In another not-coincidence, this game shortly after Fox and Friends aired a segment about Curry's comments. So now Trump is going after possibly the most popular athlete in American sports.

*Which is interesting as their coach is probably the only person in the league to actually lose a parent to Islamic Terrorism

Honestly, there are better places than this if I want to talk (well, read mostly) about basketball. I'm not coming here if I want to engage over pace stats or the finer points of a pullup hesi jimbo.

figmentPez

Staff member
Reading an article about how Trump called Namibia "Nambia", and it says that Namibia has a good trade relationship with North Korea. Honestly, I wouldn't put it past Dollhands to have intentionally gotten the country's name wrong just to try to irritate a country he sees as "Rocket Man's" ally.

Also, all the headlines about how Trump "praised a non-existent country", really? It was clear from the context he was talking about Namibia. It's not like he was talking about Latveria or Genosha. He didn't make up a country, he got the name of a real country wrong, and that's far more serious.

So, tonight was the Alabama senate republican primary (effectively the election because alabama). The "moderate" republican lost to the "homosexuality should be illegal" republican. The interesting part though: The moderate was heavily endorsed by trump (trumps NFL comments were at a rally for him) and still lost. I wonder if other republicans might not be so scared of trump's base anymore now that its clear they don't necessarily blindly follow whoever he says he likes.

So, tonight was the Alabama senate republican primary (effectively the election because alabama). The "moderate" republican lost to the "homosexuality should be illegal" republican. The interesting part though: The moderate was heavily endorsed by trump (trumps NFL comments were at a rally for him) and still lost. I wonder if other republicans might not be so scared of trump's base anymore now that its clear they don't necessarily blindly follow whoever he says he likes.
I wouldn't read into it. Alabama loves Trump because he's not Hillary and is nuts. The guy he backed isn't crazy enough for 'Bama.

I'm not saying Alabama is going blue anytime soon. I'm just saying it means his endorsement might not be as valuable as once thought.